Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    They may consider a 'C' in further maths to be equivalent to a 'B' in other a levels. It's a hard subject and I think they should be lenient. Give them a ring or email them to see if they will let you in. Whatever you do, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Send an email explaining the situation; you can easily justify sending an email rather than ringing directly as an international student. Do not beg but be very clear and concise. Admit that you have failed to meet the conditions of your offer but you still want to seek clarification regarding your admittance. If you were particularly close to the required grade then state this otherwise do not mention it. Since you are an international student they are more likely to be lenient with you.

Good luck.
    Thank you. I am writing the email now.

ReputationRep:
    OP I am an International Student starting my 2nd year of engineering in Manchester and I got in with BBB in my A levels although my offer was AAB.
    I am certain Manchester will take you since you just missed your offer by a grade.

PS. Manchester was my Firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsp13)
    Enough with the English bull-crud, OP I am an International Student starting my 2nd year of engineering in Manchester and I got in with BBB in my A levels although my offer was AAB.
    I am certain Manchester will take you since you just missed your offer by a grade.

PS. Manchester was my Firm.
    Thank you so much:yes: thats what i need to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GONZYY)
    Thank you so much:yes: thats what i need to hear.
    Do you have your module marks for each maths module? Perhaps you may have missed out on the B in further maths if your modules have not been put together properly. How much were you off the B in further MAths. By the way, did you do another a level in addition to those (or extra As levels). You might be able to offer that instead.

Would ABB look better than AAC in clearing, because you might be able to rearrange your maths modules accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I actually had an ILTES 7.0 and GCSE ESL B.
    Just don't worry about me mates. Thank y'all.

ReputationRep:
    BTW where you from OP ?

ReputationRep:
    Well I actually had an ILTES 7.0 and GCSE ESL B.
    Just don't worry about me mates. Thank y'all.
    wait so you did meet your offer?
    I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    Do you have your module marks for each maths module? Perhaps you may have missed out on the B in further maths if your modules have not been put together properly. How much were you off the B in further MAths. By the way, did you do another a level in addition to those (or extra As levels). You might be able to offer that instead.

Would ABB look better than AAC in clearing, because you might be able to rearrange your maths modules accordingly.
    No, I won't get module marks till 17th Aug. I guess I've failed the B by 10+ UMPs so I'll just take it as a C. I had an A for AS economics and a B for AS psychology last year. Should I mention them when I call?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsp13)
    BTW where you from OP ?
    OP comes from PRC where Grass Mud Horses live.

ReputationRep:
    wait so you did meet your offer?
    I'm confused.
    For Language requirements YES.

ReputationRep:
    No, I won't get module marks till 17th Aug. I guess I've failed the B by 10+ UMPs so I'll just take it as a C. I had an A for AS economics and a B for AS psychology last year. Should I mention them when I call?
    Ah you got an A for economics, that's good. Yeah I would probably mention it.
    Definitely wait for your module marks, ring the uni but ask about waiting for the module marks. It does seem a bit strange you've got an A at maths but a C at further maths.
    I would expect UCL will be a bit more leniant as you chose them as your firm choice, but how lenient the unis are depends on the demand of the course. For mechanical engineering I would have thought Physics would be the most important, so I guess it's good that you got an A in physics. Also when you find out module marks of your subjects, it might be good mentioning to them if you've done particulalrly well in a subject e.g. in Physics. They might be a bit more lenient to you then.

I'd also ring asking them if they would accept you if perhaps you went and resit a few of the further maths modules to bring up the grade if they don't want to accept you with AAC. If you've got any extenuating circumstances to why you didn't do as well as you thought you would, I'd bring those up to (don't just make them up though).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mention it since you have nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    OP comes from PRC where Grass Mud Horses live.
    China?

ReputationRep:
    China?
    Right.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I just phoned up administrators of UCL and Manchester.

The admin of UCL spoke super fast that I didn't catch a lot of what she said, even though she said a lot. I heard her saying things like they couldn't decide whether to accept me or not untill they had all the results in hand blablabla and something about talent idk...finally she seemed to say that my results weren't too bad and she left me an Email address saying that I should send my UCAS# and results to that address. 'Lisa will consider you.'
    But WHO IS LISA since I was talking to the undergraduate administrator of UCL Mechanical Engineering??
    Manchester just dropped me a few sentences saying it's not the right time to ask, I'd have to wait till clearing start.

Ok, I actually did't get anything though the two phone calls....

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I just phoned up administrators of UCL and Manchester.

The admin of UCL spoke super fast that I didn't catch a lot of what she said, even though she said a lot. I heard her saying things like they couldn't decide whether to accept me or not untill they had all the results in hand blablabla and something about talent idk...finally she seemed to say that my results weren't too bad and she left me an Email address saying that I should send my UCAS# and results to that address. 'Lisa will consider you.'
    But WHO IS LISA since I was talking to the undergraduate administrator of UCL Mechanical Engineering??
    Manchester just dropped me a few sentences saying it's not the right time to ask, I'd have to wait till clearing start.

Ok, I actually did't get anything though the two phone calls....
    I'm only starting my A2 levels this year so I don't know much- however what I do know is that it doesn't matter who that person is- perhaps they are some sort of admissions tutor? Either way, send what you need to along to her ASAP so you can get this sorted out, thats whats important.

ReputationRep:
    This is why it's stupid to pick a firm and an insurance which have the same conditions. It's not really an insurance if that's the case, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    This is why it's stupid to pick a firm and an insurance which have the same conditions. It's not really an insurance if that's the case, is it?
    In theory. My firm has the same conditions as my insurance (ABB) but my other two offers were AAB and I didn't want to go to either of them. I'd be perfectly happy going to my insurance. Also, at the time of application the standard offer for my insurance was BBB. Sometimes that's just the way things pan out. I figured I'd rather have an insurance asking for the same grades than no insurance at all. If you follow that logic, the OP has doubled his chances of going to a uni he wants to go to. Not stupid, just not ideal

ReputationRep:
    how come you have your results so early?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.