Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    This is why it's stupid to pick a firm and an insurance which have the same conditions. It's not really an insurance if that's the case, is it?
    Sometimes it isn't your fault to be fair.
    When I applied, being predicted BBB I was given conditionals by 4 asking for BBB (even though their typical offers on the prospectus asked for BCC-ABB)

So yeah, both my firm and insurance ask for BBB - but, at least my insurance accepts general stuides - so I suppose there is a slight difference between the two.

ReputationRep:
    This is why it's stupid to pick a firm and an insurance which have the same conditions. It's not really an insurance if that's the case, is it?
    That's not always the case though, as sometimes a person's insurance, in spite of wanting the same grades, might be more accommodating for those who miss them than the firm (e.g. someone of here [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=225450] has LSE as his firm and KCL as his insurance, even though they're asking for the same grades, as, according to his sig at least, KCL will look more kindly on General Studies and slightly missing grades)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GONZYY)
    Hey guys I just phoned up administrators of UCL and Manchester.

The admin of UCL spoke super fast that I didn't catch a lot of what she said, even though she said a lot. I heard her saying things like they couldn't decide whether to accept me or not untill they had all the results in hand blablabla and something about talent idk...finally she seemed to say that my results weren't too bad and she left me an Email address saying that I should send my UCAS# and results to that address. 'Lisa will consider you.'
    But WHO IS LISA since I was talking to the undergraduate administrator of UCL Mechanical Engineering??
    Manchester just dropped me a few sentences saying it's not the right time to ask, I'd have to wait till clearing start.

Ok, I actually did't get anything though the two phone calls....
    OP to make it fair the Unis will not give you a definitive answer until after the 20th when they have everyones information, just be patient, I think (90%) sure UCL will have you, they interview people and then give them an offer, so they definitely want you! Also UCL don't enter clearing so it's my belief that the people the give offers to are the ones they definitely want for their course! Try not to worry and good luck, hopefully see you in September
    x

ReputationRep:
    You might have to wait until next week before you hear anything, as this is when universities will have everyone's results and can make decisions about places.

You'll probably get a place though if you're an international student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    I'm only starting my A2 levels this year so I don't know much- however what I do know is that it doesn't matter who that person is- perhaps they are some sort of admissions tutor? Either way, send what you need to along to her ASAP so you can get this sorted out, thats whats important.
    Thx. I've tried my best to impress them and tell them I truely need the place
    Wish you have a happy A2(but never choose Further Maths in my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    I was declined by Oxford and Imperial and got conditional offers from UCL, Bath and Manchester last year.
    Bath required AAA while UCL and Manchester both required AAB. So you can see why I chosed UCL and Manchester as firm and insurance. People don't just get stupid too easily nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't...but I'll try it if I have to go for clearing.
    What were your module results in the maths ? and was it edexcel?

Just out of interest.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was declined by Oxford and Imperial and got conditional offers from UCL, Bath and Manchester last year.
    Bath required AAA while UCL and Manchester both required AAB. So you can see why I chosed UCL and Manchester as firm and insurance. People don't just get stupid too easily nowadays.
    Well i'm sorry, but it seems like you were a little optimistic with your uni choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clozet)
    In theory. My firm has the same conditions as my insurance (ABB) but my other two offers were AAB and I didn't want to go to either of them. I'd be perfectly happy going to my insurance. Also, at the time of application the standard offer for my insurance was BBB. Sometimes that's just the way things pan out. I figured I'd rather have an insurance asking for the same grades than no insurance at all. If you follow that logic, the OP has doubled his chances of going to a uni he wants to go to. Not stupid, just not ideal
    lol you are definately right!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    how come you have your results so early?

:ditto: how how how?
    btw good luck op I feel for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Well i'm sorry, but it seems like you were a little optimistic with your uni choices.
    Not really...mine would probably be the most common combination among my mates.
    My friend Chen took OXford+2LSE+UCL+Imperial, and he got in Oxford. There are many cases like that.
    Sure, I am the big loser this year....:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    :ditto: how how how?
    btw good luck op I feel for you.
    Idk...maybe today is the results day only for oversea students? I just phoned my school and got them.

ReputationRep:
    Idk...maybe today is the results day only for oversea students? I just phoned my school and got them.
    WTF our schools have them????????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    What were your module results in the maths ? and was it edexcel?

Just out of interest.:rolleyes:
    I haven't got module results yet. Staffs said they will send them to me on 17th Aug.
    But I'll take a guess...60 for Pure, 20 for Statistics and 25 for Mechanics? That'd end up in a C...

ReputationRep:
    i assume you are doing CIE exam board.
    They are more likely to consider you cos these are arguably a harder board

ReputationRep:
    they probably wont be able to tell you whether you still have a place until UK results come out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    WTF our schools have them????????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I think it's just for OVERSEA students. You are in England right?
    I like Joy Division btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    i assume you are doing CIE exam board.
    They are more likely to consider you cos these are arguably a harder board
    Yes, I am doing CIE exam board. Does that make any differences?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just for OVERSEA students. You are in England right?
    I like Joy Division btw.
    Hmm how come overseas get them early? For travel arrangements I guess?
    Is your school in UK or China??

Yeah I'm domestic UK student.
    JOY DIVISION are the best band ever...

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Well I'm sorry, but I think that's a little judgmental. It's quite possible for people to mess up exams and drop two grades :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.