Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just wondering, is it necessary to have biology at A Level to do medicine at university? not many universities see this as a requirement tbh.not sure if i should do it as i find it kinda boring and it isnt one of my options for A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Check the wiki for requirements, you'll find some do, some don't, some only want AS Biology personally I suggest you take it to AS at least, otherwise you will be a bit out of touch when you hit Uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary but it'd help a lot.
    Chemistry is necessary.
    So is the correct spelling of medicine.

ReputationRep:
    you do find unis that dont require it but the majority do i believe. plus why not just do it? it'd help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    is it spelt medicine? i typed that in on google and it said i was wrong! it said medecine. FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    is it spelt medicine? i typed that in on google and it said i was wrong! it said medecine. FFS.
    It is spelt 'medicine'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    not sure if i should do it as i find it kinda boring and it isnt one of my options for A Level.
    But are you sure about medicine if you find Biology boring? I mean, I agree the ecology stuff and plants you may find boring, but many people do full A-level Biology just for the fun bits of Human Biology. Personally, I hated ecology, but in the end, having the option to write an essay in synoptic paper, I ended up writing about plants, not about genetics; point is, its doable, and definitely enjoyable. Of course, depends also on the teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Some don't require it, but most do.
    Here's a list of which do and don't: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done hardly any Biology before. Reading this thread, should I look over some stuff before I start uni this Sept (to do medicine) or wait until uni starts?

ReputationRep:
    No you don't need biology at A-LEVEL only at A in AS.... ASK Jhonnyofengland or what ever his name was, he was a dude on here who I asked the same thing he said you dont need it as A-level and he hasnt dont it at A-LEVEL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    I haven't done hardly any Biology before. Reading this thread, should I look over some stuff before I start uni this Sept (to do medicine) or wait until uni starts?
    The reason that a lot of unis do not require biology at A level is because it is all covered in first year anyway. At my medical school at least, there has been no prior knowledge assumed. Having said that, people I know who didn't take biology have struggled with the pace of some of the biology which most of us already had a good grasp of from A level (i'm talking about things like respiration, krebs cycle et c. which you might know about anyway).

I would say don't bother, because you don't know what you will need to know yet; just be prepared to spend a bit longer going over a few basic concepts in your first year.

ReputationRep:
    I know you need it for Medicine at UEA but that's about all I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8EnglishRoses)
    The reason that a lot of unis do not require biology at A level is because it is all covered in first year anyway. At my medical school at least, there has been no prior knowledge assumed. Having said that, people I know who didn't take biology have struggled with the pace of some of the biology which most of us already had a good grasp of from A level (i'm talking about things like respiration, krebs cycle et c. which you might know about anyway).

I would say don't bother, because you don't know what you will need to know yet; just be prepared to spend a bit longer going over a few basic concepts in your first year.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Good to hear it tho. I'm well bored this summer. May look at Kreb's cycle but not anything else until I get there =)

ReputationRep:
    You don't NEED to do it, but tbh, it'll probably be pretty useful. This is only my opinion, but I don't think it would look too good if you apply to study a subject which is largely about the science of the human body, and you haven't done biology. But that's just my opinion. I realise people will get in without bio.

A lot of places will need it, so it's probably safer to do it I think.

ReputationRep:
    i've seen the biology course, and tbh, its all about plants and ecology, as raos said, (which i find boring), and topics covering the human body are in the minority of topics covered during the course.

ReputationRep:
    Most require it at AS, very few at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Exactly what I was thinking. Good to hear it tho. I'm well bored this summer. May look at Kreb's cycle but not anything else until I get there =)
    tbh, i'm going into my second year and i don't really know what the krebs cycle is and i can't really tell you anything about glycolysis or any other biochemical pathways...apart from they definitely involve oxygen at some point. i think.

Good luck anyway and I hope you really enjoy your first year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.