Turn on thread page Beta

DVT deep-vein-thrombosis watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ever had it?

I went to the hospital tonight and there sending me to the dvt clinic in the morning, im really scared , has anyone ever had it??

If so how did they treat it? what was it like?? and is it serious?

many thanks for any replys..

ReputationRep:
    i believe the treatment is anticoagulation tablets. Short term heparin and long term warfarin.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine had it. I think the worst thing for him was the pain in his leg before DVT was actually diagnosed so there's a chance you have the worst behind you. Treatment is via heavy doses of blood thinners as cconstant said...

ReputationRep:
    Whilst DVT is an inhernently unstable condition and by no means a laughing matter, the fact youve gotten yourself into the clinic and presumably on treatment if necessary probably means youre prognosis is good

ReputationRep:
    Who's laughing?

One of my dad's friends died from it. Now I always wear sexy long socks on the airplane

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,

I have never had it but my Dentist told me about it.

Usually pains occur in the legs, this is due to blood being clotted at one point and then it may travel elsewhere causing severe damage so it is very good that you have diagnosed it early.

Your Doctor/Hospital clinic will give you tablets to thin out your blood. These tablets including things like warfarin.

If you suffer from any pains, contact a medical professional as soon as possible and at all times, avoid cutting yourself even the slightest as the blood may not stop.

If you need to have any treatment or a check up at the doctor, dentist, etc, make sure you mention that you suffer/may have DVT and they will take the necessary precautions.

Good luck mate and I hope all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    As some peope said, you'll most likely to be given anticoagulant such as aspirin. It's antiplatlet so it makes the residue in the blood less likely to stick together hence less chance of thrombosis. Taking omega 3 suppliments are said to help condition like this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.