Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    this is a page for all of the computer science students starting in september 09

it will be good to get to know fellow class mates!

so..are there any of you out there???

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm one of the CS applicants for the 2009 academic session, pleased to make your acquaintance! Where will you be staying? I'll be staying at Derby and Rathbone S/C, just got my room offer ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I was starting to get worried that i was the only one!

I will be staying in Unites Grand Central accommodation right next to the train station..

Do you have a Facebook account?

ReputationRep:
    Cool dude I'm sure we're not the only ones though, the others are probably lurking around somewhere :P

P/S : I messaged you with my email, please add me on facebook/messenger :P

ReputationRep:
    Does computing with a years industry count? lol :P
    Ill be staying in the Derby and Rathbone Hall's.
    The computer science department seems a lot quieter than a lot other departments, was still impressed when I looked around it though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, thanks for sharing that with us, now I'm even more excited to go. Yet another episode of waiting, woe is me D:

ReputationRep:
    you seen the department?
    If you havent, they had i think a £8 million restoration of this beautiful building and the facilities inside are great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain_Haddock)
    Does computing with a years industry count? lol :P
    Don't see why not! :P
    are you waiting for any results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain_Haddock)
    you seen the department?
    If you havent, they had i think a £8 million restoration of this beautiful building and the facilities inside are great!

What block you in hazue?
    I haven't been anywhere close to Liverpool in my lifetime :p:

Please stop making me crave for it more than I possibly could, haha XD And by the way, I'm just waiting for September to come before I make it there, I'm one of those international students fidgeting ceaselessly while waiting for VISA approval, haha. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaredleo999)
    Don't see why not! :P
    are you waiting for any results?
    I got my results a few months back. Did a one year foundation degree at john moores university. Had a look around liverpool university and was converted :yep:

(Original post by Hazue)
    I haven't been anywhere close to Liverpool in my lifetime

Please stop making me crave for it more than I possibly could, haha XD And by the way, I'm just waiting for September to come before I make it there, I'm one of those international students fidgeting ceaselessly while waiting for VISA approval, haha.
    Oh where you from?
    Im sure you won't be disapointed by the campus

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I won't - if anything, I'd be deeply impressed by it most probably I'm from Malaysia by the way :woo:

Oh yes, in my VISA letter, it states that the academic session would start on the 28th of September. I've heard that the orientation week takes place a week before that - does any of you know exactly when? I need to know this since my sponsor will be booking my flight ticket such that I'd depart roughly around two days prior to the the start of the orientation week.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm doing Computer Info Systems, nice to meet eveyone!

Oh yes, in my VISA letter, it states that the academic session would start on the 28th of September. I've heard that the orientation week takes place a week before that - does any of you know exactly when? I need to know this since my sponsor will be booking my flight ticket such that I'd depart roughly around two days prior to the the start of the orientation week.
    I just got my welcome pack and according to this the orientation events for the CS department start on the 23rd of September. There is also mention of welcome events for international students hapenning prior to this so I would double check before booking anything.

ReputationRep:
    HI rich, well done on your results.
    we shall all meet up at the student union =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardw347)
    Hi all I'm doing Computer Info Systems, nice to meet eveyone!

I just got my welcome pack and according to this the orientation events for the CS department start on the 23rd of September. There is also mention of welcome events for international students hapenning prior to this so I would double check before booking anything.
    I just got my welcome pack as well~! That and my VISA approval :woo: Now the wait is becoming even more unbearable! :woo:

Pleased to make your acquaintance by the way :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Another Comp Sci student here.

Liverpool native so if you have any questions that are Liverpool related, feel free to ask.

Apa khabar? //I've been to Penang once for a Visa run from Thailand so that's as far as my Malaysian goes. Beautiful country though, wish I'd seen more. Also there were tons of Malaysians when I started at Manchester so I'd presume Liverpool will be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makes_cents)

Liverpool native so if you have any questions that are Liverpool related, feel free to ask.

Apa khabar? //I've been to Penang once for a Visa run from Thailand so that's as far as my Malaysian goes. Beautiful country though, wish I'd seen more. Also there were tons of Malaysians when I started at Manchester so I'd presume Liverpool will be the same.
    Oooohh a Liverpool native~! :woo: I'll be sure to shower you with all sorts of questions later pertaining to life in Liverpool Just one question for now though : Are things(food, clothing, etc.) over there expensive? I've opted for self-catering and I am planning to buy most of the necessities over there. I'm getting 650 quid per month(excluding accommodation) from my sponsor, will that be anywhere near sufficient to live in the city? I'd really appreciate your input on this since I basically have absolutely no idea how life is over there and I'd hate to find myself struggling especially financial-wise like I've heard of some Malaysian students there.

By the way, glad you like Malaysia though. As much as I love Malaysia myself, I can't wait to get to Liverpool, only three weeks left~! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazue)
    Oooohh a Liverpool native~! :woo: I'll be sure to shower you with all sorts of questions later pertaining to life in Liverpool Just one question for now though : Are things(food, clothing, etc.) over there expensive? I've opted for self-catering and I am planning to buy most of the necessities over there. I'm getting 650 quid per month(excluding accommodation) from my sponsor, will that be anywhere near sufficient to live in the city? I'd really appreciate your input on this since I basically have absolutely no idea how life is over there and I'd hate to find myself struggling especially financial-wise like I've heard of some Malaysian students there.

By the way, glad you like Malaysia though. As much as I love Malaysia myself, I can't wait to get to Liverpool, only three weeks left~! :woo:
    £650 a month, you'll live like Royalty compared to the rest of us.

I suppose you outgoings depend entirely on your lifestyle. You can buy clothes cheaply here from Primark and "H and M". For example jeans are about £10-30 and T-Shirts range from £5-£20 in those stores.

Alcohol and partying are the biggest drain on finances after accomodation. If you're Muslim you'll probably save a lot on this but I mentioned if because I know there are many Christians in Malaysia.

Food isn't too bad if you cook yourself and know where to shop. Getting ingredients for Malaysian food might be difficult. I know there's a Thai store in the Wirral that sells Oyster sauce etc. To get an idea of prices visit

http://www.lidl.co.uk
    http://www.netto.co.uk
    http://www.aldi.co.uk
    http://www.iceland.co.uk.

Those are the discount stores, Asda and Tesco are good middle market food stores although the nearest Asda is on Smithdown road, so you'd need to get the bus or use the home delivery service.

http://www.asda.com
    http://www.tesco.com

Eating out is significantly more expensive than Malaysia and tends to be more of a special occassion thing for the majority of us.

If you have any other question I'll do my best to answer them.

Ash

ReputationRep:
    £650 a month, you'll live like Royalty compared to the rest of us.

I suppose you outgoings depend entirely on your lifestyle. You can buy clothes cheaply here from Primark and "H and M". For example jeans are about £10-30 and T-Shirts range from £5-£20 in those stores.

Alcohol and partying are the biggest drain on finances after accomodation. If you're Muslim you'll probably save a lot on this but I mentioned if because I know there are many Christians in Malaysia.

Food isn't too bad if you cook yourself and know where to shop. Getting ingredients for Malaysian food might be difficult. I know there's a Thai store in the Wirral that sells Oyster sauce etc. To get an idea of prices visit

http://www.lidl.co.uk
    http://www.netto.co.uk
    http://www.aldi.co.uk
    http://www.iceland.co.uk.

Those are the discount stores, Asda and Tesco are good middle market food stores although the nearest Asda is on Smithdown road, so you'd need to get the bus or use the home delivery service.

http://www.asda.com
    http://www.tesco.com

Eating out is significantly more expensive than Malaysia and tends to be more of a special occassion thing for the majority of us.

If you have any other question I'll do my best to answer them.

Ash
    You sir, are a living legend, haha. I love how you make reference to Malaysia while you dish out substantial info pertinent to my queries - makes everything a whole lot easier for me. :yep:

I think that covers most of it, but if I should need to know more, then I know who I'd come asking to :woo: Thanks!

ReputationRep:

Hey there, I'd like to ask another question. The thing is, I just got some money from my sponsor and my sister recommended me to change those cash into travellers cheques instead but I've read that these cheques aren't accepted in some locations.

Would you recommend me the use of travellers cheques in Liverpool? Or is it better just to use cash instead? Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazue)
    Hey there, I'd like to ask another question. The thing is, I just got some money from my sponsor and my sister recommended me to change those cash into travellers cheques instead but I've read that these cheques aren't accepted in some locations.

Would you recommend me the use of travellers cheques in Liverpool? Or is it better just to use cash instead? Thank you in advance
    I wouldn't recommend changing them into traveller's cheques.

The best thing for you to do is to open a bank account. It won't cost you anything and it'll give you access to the facilities such as a Visa Electron or Solo. This means if your card gets lost or stolen when your out you won't lose any money, unlike cash.

You'll need ID and proof of your address to setup an account. After that you'll receive a card and a usually a cheque book (useless now), the card you can use in most shops in Liverpool and online.

Ash

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.