Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to ship some of my things back from Australia to the UK.
    It's just random stuff like CDs, DVDs, photo albums, set of speakers and a few books etc

When it arrives in the UK I can't work out if I'd need to pay customs/duty on it.
    I've been looking on google and it seems it only applies to new stuff so I should be ok right? (btw, my stuff is all at least 3-4yrs old)

Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadnerb)
    It's just random stuff like CDs, DVDs, photo albums, set of speakers and a few books etc

When it arrives in the UK I can't work out if I'd need to pay customs/duty on it.
    I've been looking on google and it seems it only applies to new stuff so I should be ok right? (btw, my stuff is all at least 3-4yrs old)

Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks
    I'll start by saying that I'm definitely no expert on this, but seeing as no-one else has replied I'll have a go.

This page from HM Revenue and Customs' website may help. I've also attached a copy of the notice linked to from that page. This looks to be more useful if you're actually bringing in belongings with you as you enter the country, but shows that in principle you may get relief on belongings brought in to the country. I don't think that the age of your belongings will make a difference to the treatment.

The precise details differ depending on what your current country of residence is and whether you're planning to change this, and there are specific rules if you're a student coming to the UK for full-time education. Have a read of the attachment and see if any of it helps in your circumstances. If you've got any further questions, post again and I'll see if I can help.

I'd also suggest HMRC's helpline would be worth a call, as they should know exactly what the treatment will be:
    Getting more help and advice

If you need more information about paying tax, duty or VAT when moving to the UK, you can contact the VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000. Lines are open from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday except bank holidays
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Bringing+your+belongings+and+private+motor+vehicle+to+the+UK+from+outside+the+EC.pdf (275.0 KB, 39 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Most of my stuff is originally from the UK and I'll just be shipping it back so I don't know if that makes any difference.
    I'll just call them up as it seems pretty complicated.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadnerb)

Anyone know for sure?
    Thanks
    Mark it as gift (Y) and price at $30 FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venom123)
    Mark it as gift (Y) and price at $30 FTW
    This may work, but it's not foolproof - and depending on the size of the shipment, may be unrealistic.

ReputationRep:
    so far i've never been stung by customs *Crosses fingers*

and i feel some have been ridiculously priced... i mean

i bought some £130 trainers and they guy called them shoes and priced them at $15

ReputationRep:
    Can't really do that as you need to declare the contents and value for insurance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.