Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I have 2 problems really, so i'll try my best to keep this post short.

1st problem is that I started a part time job at my local Spar about a week ago but 2 days ago I had an offer from a Graphic Design Agency offering me work experience (this is what i wanna do as a career). But because my hours at my p/t job are on a weekly rota, I won't know my hours until each Sunday, and I don't know what hours my work experience would be. What i really wanna know is does anyone have any work experience experiences (typically in Graphic Design or something similar) and do you think i'll be able to handle both my w/e and job? Because i know i need my job for the money but Graphic Design is extremely important to me and obviously the work experience (having just finished my A levels) will be a great opportunity for me.

2nd problem is that I got my work rota for this week yesterday, and i'm down for a 10 hour shift on saturday which i wont be able to do because im at my cousins wedding. My manager wasn't in yesterday so i couldn't tell her. What is the best way to go about letting her know i can't do it? I wanna tell her ASAP but do i speak to the manager or someone else? Will she be able to swap it? What do other people do when they go about asking to have their hours changed?

Sorry it's long and thanks in advance for any advice

ReputationRep:
    First up, you need to be able to manage your work experience. If they've offered it you and it is in some way relevant to the future, find the time. If I was you, I would explain to your manager that this is important long term and your hours need to fit around this for however long it is. (You don't say how long the w/e is but I would imagine until the end of the holidays). I'm not going to lie - your situation isn't ideal. I can't imagine being in a job 2 days and then having to tell my boss I can't do such and such, but your going to have to suck it up and tell them because it's so crucial. I've done a fair wack of graphic design myself but never contemplated it as a career - I can imagine they will have you shadow someone rather than let you loose on stuff - the specs they will have to meet are pretty set in stone.

2nd problem is a little bit bigger. Don't know how old you are, but for a p/t job a 10 hour shift is a little harsh - if you get put on one again make sure you are given your breaks. If you are friends with anyone there you might want to ask about their availability on that day - and go to your manager with that and say "I can't do it, but XXX can." Would of helped you out a shedload if you had just told them before you started you had pre-arranged stuff to do. The thing about my job is is that it's a one-chain Chinese Takeaway, and only one guy talks any English (ironically, one of the chefs only speaks bits of English but is one of the funniest people I have ever met. He sings while he cooks, it's awsome.) so they have us in to interact with people. There are 4 of us who work there, we all take 1 weeknight and 1 weekend (2 people work weekends because its busiest) but we are all friends with each other outside of work so we can chop and change our nights to suit - I couldn't imagine a more flexible job. If I didn't want to work tomorrow, I could send a text and swap for Wednesday or Thursday with no problems - no clearance from the boss required

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    2nd problem is a little bit bigger. Don't know how old you are, but for a p/t job a 10 hour shift is a little harsh - if you get put on one again make sure you are given your breaks. If you are friends with anyone there you might want to ask about their availability on that day - and go to your manager with that and say "I can't do it, but XXX can."
    I'm 18 and I know, I accepted the job on the grounds it would be 5-11 hours a week not a shift! But she said we need people to do the extra hours cos its summer and there's a load of customers etc etc.

And I can't ask anyone to swap because I'm not really friends with anyone there, I mean i know people and i can talk to them etc but i wouldn't say im familiar enough with them to ask to swap shifts.

What should I do if my manager says she can't change my hours to fit my w/e? I'm stressing out about it because i know whatever happens i HAVE to take this opportunity but at the same time in this economic climate I can't afford to lose my job

Thanks for the help though

ReputationRep:
    Then I wouldn't work for someone who is so unreasnable. I would imagine you are at the design company during the day, so how hard can it be for her to drop you on nights for a while. Alternatively, you could have a word with the graphics company and say your P/t job is being unreasnable, would they consider letting you have a day a week or any time you need off.

You can afford to to loose your job. If its going to stand in the way of something that is going to aid you in the long run, you've got to do it come what may. If your 18 you should be heading off to uni this year, or whatever, so this would only be a summer job right? There are always jobs out there, you just have to want it enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    You can afford to to loose your job. If its going to stand in the way of something that is going to aid you in the long run, you've got to do it come what may. If your 18 you should be heading off to uni this year, or whatever, so this would only be a summer job right? There are always jobs out there, you just have to want it enough.
    I totally agree with what you're saying, it's just this is my first ever job and i've been looking for over a year so when it came it was kinda a godsend lol but i'm definitely gonna speak to my manager and try to come to some arrangement 'cos like you said, if it's gonna aid me in the long run then I need to do it no matter what. Also, i'm not going to uni til next year as i'm staying to do an art foundation diploma

Thanks for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.