Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what's the most effective painkiller/anti-inflammatory I can use? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got tonsilitis and yesterday I bought the only painkiller in liquid form available at 9pm at the 24/7 Chemist: Cuprofen for Children which contains 100mg of ibuprofen/5ml.

So far, I've taken 20ml (400mg ibuprofen) yesterday at 9pm and 12 am. I woke up at 6 am and took another dose.

The pain relief has not been substantial (swallowing is very painful) but the swelling which had spread from my left tonsil to my cheek and tongue has gone down a bit.

Can someone advise me what dose/type of painkiller I ought to be taking?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Try co-codamol - it's pretty strong stuff though. When I had my jaw operation I was on it for about 2 weeks and it was fantastic. However, powerful painkiller + anaesthetic meant my memory was appalling and I was confused. You can get it in powder form that you mix with water. Get your mum or dad to go down to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to see what's best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Has your tonsilitis been confirmed by your doctor? If so then they should prescribe something to help.

If not then get to the doctors.

ReputationRep:
    My doctor told me to just take paracetamol and ibuprofen when he diagnosed me with tonsilitis. Plus the penecillin that he gave me, but that takes a few days to start to work.

You can get dissolvable paracetamol tablets, I would take the ibuprofen and the if it still hurts paracetamol a couple of hours later. Just remember not to take more than 3 doses of ibuprofen and 4 doses of paracetamol within any 24 hour period.

ReputationRep:
    Co-codamol, fantastic stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Thinking of buying this:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Parace...32-Pack_45081/

The annoying thing is, I start work in a call centre in a few days,and want the problem gone!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you don't continue taking co-codamol for too long as it is mildly addictive and withdrawel can give you headaches.

I've had tonsillitis for 3 weeks now and it wont go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Make sure you don't continue taking co-codamol for too long as it is mildly addictive and withdrawel can give you headaches.

I've had tonsillitis for 3 weeks now and it wont go away
    3 weeks! My God, why won't it go away! I just want the pain of swallowing to decrease considerably, because that's my major problem (not intending on becoming a junky...yet).

ReputationRep:
    If you want something which will take the pain and swelling away then try Nurofen Plus, its got ibuprofen and codeine in so it's pretty strong stuff.
    However, I'm pretty sure it only comes in tablet form so if you can't take tablets then you are probably better off with the dissolvable co-codamol. Could always alternate it with ibuprofen, so 2 hours after taking the co-codamol take the ibuprofen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyhead)
    If you want something which will take the pain and swelling away then try Nurofen Plus, its got ibuprofen and codeine in so it's pretty strong stuff.
    However, I'm pretty sure it only comes in tablet form so if you can't take tablets then you are probably better off with the dissolvable co-codamol. Could always alternate it with ibuprofen, so 2 hours after taking the co-codamol take the ibuprofen.
    Thank you, the Co-codamol soluble tablet contains 8mg of codeine phosphate I believe. Would I take 1 tablet e.g. at 12pm then and ibuprofen at 2pm... then repeat in this fashion?

ReputationRep:
    Co-Codamol every 2 hrs and Ibuprofen every other 2 hrs does the trick :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Co-Codamol every 2 hrs and Ibuprofen every other 2 hrs does the trick :yep:

What dosage of each would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surely_unsure)
    What dosage of each would you recommend?
    Whatever it recommends on the box. Failing that, speak to your dr.

ReputationRep:
    I get acute tonsilitis fairly regularly, and every time I go to the doctors, and get prescribed penicillin, which usually works within a few hours of me taking it. Then I just top up with ibuprofen to reduce inflammation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Whatever it recommends on the box. Failing that, speak to your dr.
    Tried to speak to my doctor today, but no room at the inn.

Spoke to NHS direct and was told to take 400mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and no more than 4x 16mg of co-codamol per day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    NOOOOOB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surely_unsure)
    Spoke to NHS direct and was told to take 400mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and no more than 4x 16mg of co-codamol per day.

Any problems with that advice? Sounds standard to me-I bet it says same thing on the packet and patient information leflet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partysunil)
    NOOOOOB
    Don't get banned again!

ReputationRep:
    ibuprofen?

ReputationRep:
    painkillers why dont they kill my pain ive taken about 20 in the past few days and still in pain
    finally mum got cocodomol today but its disgusting to drink erugh

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.