Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've had no games consoles since selling my Xbox 360 before the exams period. I have the money, the summer is getting very tedious, and it would be awkward taking a 360 to uni, so I'm happy that I bought one.

However, I bought the DS Lite without knowing about the DSi. Do you think that I should have bought one of those instead (I still can; I bought the DS Lite online)? After researching the DSi I think I made the right decision in buying a Lite. I wouldn't use the cameras on the DSi and the lack of a GBA slot seems disadvantageous. However, there must be something else that the DSi has going for it that I'm missing.

Also, I'd like some game recommendations please. I'm importing FFIV, V, and VI GBA from the USA already plan to buy New Super Mario Bros., Pokémon Platinum, and Guitar Hero: On Tour.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not missing anything, many people will agree with you the DS lite > DSi =)

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one, but from what I know the DS light seems like a better choice, as you do get the backlog of games from the GBA. You may have some problems with future games, but I can only assume the majority of those which use the camera might be a bit too novelty.

ReputationRep:
    Phoenix Wright. Look up Scribblenauts too; it's out in September. You can summon 10,000+ objects in game (any tangiable nouns that is not vulgar or copyrighted). Also Professor Layton and the soon to be released sequal.

ReputationRep:
    DS lite is better than DSi, DSi is not worth it imo.

Get Mario Kart, I'll race you online!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks guys. :yy:

I had Mario Kart DS years ago actually, I was pretty good at it. It ruined the shoulder buttons on my DS though.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only good thing about the DSi is the larger screens. But if you're getting guitar hero, then stick with your ds lite, as you'll need the gba slot for the guitar grip.

ReputationRep:
    I've also just purchased a DS lite and i'm really happy with it no idea what games to buy like you though!

Pokemon Platinum is really fun and i found Brain Training on the floor at my local train station which has actually been the highlight of my month so far, it's really fun. I got Harvest Moon for a fiver and it is rubbish. I really want Professer Layton.

ReputationRep:
    DS lite > DSi

I :heart: my DS lite

ReputationRep:
    DSI is pointless!

Here's some games I've enjoyed!

FF3 DS
    FF4 DS
    The world ends with you (made by square enix same people as FF)
    GTA Chinatown Wars
    Professor Layton Surprinsingly good! plus new one is out next month
    Zelda Phantom Hourglass
    Mario kart
    New Super Mario Bros
    Oh and Chrono trigger saved without Magus damn it!

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to get Chrono Trigger :coma:

ReputationRep:
    the DSi is a bit pointless, it does have a larger screen (it is slightly more colourful and brighter) other then that i would say stay with the ds lite.
    I traded in my ds lite for the dsi and I haven't missed the gba slot in the slightest. I have gba sp if I ever want to play gba games :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I brought a DS into college once but my friends laughed at me and called me a ****** haven't touched it since .

ReputationRep:
    buy a supercard/ R4DS and torrent all your games... much easier to carry. If it makes you feel better you can still buy a copy...

ReputationRep:
    Castlevania Order of Ecclessia
    Tetris DS
    Chrono Trigger

Job done.

Oh and the translation for FFIV on the GBA is awful, although i prefer the sprite work for the GBA rather than the 'faux 3d' for the DS version

ReputationRep:
    DS Lites are awesome, and I dont really see that much of a difference between the DSi and DS Lite. If you get yourself a memory cartridge thingy like an R4 then you use all sorts of homebrew applications like watch movies on your DS Lite
    Also you can save a lot of money on games :ninja: google is your friend....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    I brought a DS into college once but my friends laughed at me and called me a ****** haven't touched it since .
    How sad.

You are at university and should be prepared to be an individual and not a sheep. Presumably you have a mind of your own and you should use it.

If they all flung themselves off a cliff, would you?

I have both and like the DSi for the bigger screen but I can never see myself using the camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    Why? :eek:
    My house got burgled and although the DS wasn't mine (it was my brother's and he wasn't even bothered it got stolen) I still miss it.
    Really want a new one

EDIT: use it anyway. ignore everyone else

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a DS lite about a month ago...and I wouldn't change it for the DSi.
    Although my current bf would disagree, the only difference is the fact that it's got a camera...and wtf, as if i'm going to walk around taking pictures with it! lol.

Hahahah I love Mario Bros.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.