Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going wireless with xbox 360. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Brief question.

Just wondering what hardware I will need to buy to support a wireless connection for my 360? And what is the cheapest way?

ReputationRep:
    Wireless router and one of these. From what I am aware you have to use an official one. You might be able to nab one cheaply off ebay. To be honest I prefer using an ethernet cable
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First, you'd need a wireless router.

If you have a laptop I believe that you could use its wireless for the 360 through an ethernet bridge. If not, you'd need a wireless adapter. The official 360 wireless adapters are quite expensive, and I also believe that most regular wireless adapters would do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Brief question.

Just wondering what hardware I will need to buy to support a wireless connection for my 360? And what is the cheapest way?
    You'll need a wireless router and an Xbox 360 wireless adaptor. Costs about £40 from Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Fast replies, thanks :3

I have a BT homehub perched on top of my 360 at the moment, so I just need that adapter. Kinda pricey :/

ReputationRep:

I have a BT homehub perched on top of my 360 at the moment, so I just need that adapter. Kinda pricey :/
    I know, pretty costly, especially since you then have to pay for xbox live. If your homehub is on top of your 360 can't you just use a cable? Or do they not have ethernet sockets?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm a fan of the 360, I believe that it's the best console out there, but the cost to play online (especially if going wireless) is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

If your router is that close to your 360 just connect it with an ethernet cable for about £38 less than the wireless adaptor would cost you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    If your router is that close to your 360 just connect it with an ethernet cable for about £38 less than the wireless adaptor would cost you :p:
    Even less, since the xbox comes with a cable which is probably long enough going by the OP's description of where his router is:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    I know, pretty costly, especially since you then have to pay for xbox live. If your homehub is on top of your 360 can't you just use a cable? Or do they not have ethernet sockets?
    Parents ****** me over. The hub has two ethernet sockets, and I use one for my PC since it has no wireless network card or w/e they're called. The other WAS used for my 360, with my ps3 on wireless.

And yeah I'm a computer whore, so my PC is always on, so disconnecting the PC net isn't an option.. :3

Then they decided to get some new BT vision crap thing that hogs my 2nd ethernet cable. On the homehub box, it shows 4 ethernet sockets but mine only has 2!

Anyway, university in 5 weeks and I'm not sure what the setup is like there..

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get a cheap wireless card for you PC? About £20 or whatever, works out much cheaper than getting mugged off by microsoft.

ReputationRep:
    You can buy wireless bridges, they plug into the ethernet of the xbox 360 and then connect to your wifi. You could get one on ebay for about £25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    You can buy wireless bridges, they plug into the ethernet of the xbox 360 and then connect to your wifi. You could get one on ebay for about £25.
    I had one of these, disadvantage is that it takes a power socket, advantage is that with the extra power it gets very good signal even at the edge of the routers range.

I definatly would not shell out the £50 on a wireless router if your going to uni next month, odds are you wont even have access to xbox live there, since the required ports will probably be blocked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmor1)
    Why don't you just get a cheap wireless card for you PC? About £20 or whatever, works out much cheaper than getting mugged off by microsoft.
    Yeah I was thinking about that, though I'm not sure how to fit them. I'm told it's easy though?

(Original post by Andy_ryan)
    I had one of these, disadvantage is that it takes a power socket, advantage is that with the extra power it gets very good signal even at the edge of the routers range.

I definatly would not shell out the £50 on a wireless router if your going to uni next month, odds are you wont even have access to xbox live there, since the required ports will probably be blocked
    Mate went to the same halls and had no problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicious Fishes)
    I'm a fan of the 360, I believe that it's the best console out there, but the cost to play online (especially if going wireless) is ridiculous.
    Exactly, whereas the ps3 is more expensive initially but it really does have everything built in, no need for wireless adaptors. So I think that when you add up the cost of buying a wireless adaptor and Xbox live membership, doesn't it come to about the same price? Oh yeh, also add in the blu-ray player of the ps3 even though it would be impossible for xbox 360 to have that, then the ps3 works out to be as good a deal as the 360, imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking about that, though I'm not sure how to fit them. I'm told it's easy though?

Mate went to the same halls and had no problems
    You can get a USB one if you want, otherwise fitting an internal one is easy - if you're ever gonna learn how to fit something in a PC, let it be a wireless adapter first, it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmor1)
    You can get a USB one if you want, otherwise fitting an internal one is easy - if you're ever gonna learn how to fit something in a PC, let it be a wireless adapter first, it'll be fine!
    Didn't know you could get USB ones, cheers. Pricey?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know you could get USB ones, cheers. Pricey?
    Amazon has them starting at £6.

If I were you I'd go for an internal one though (which also start at around £7 on Amazon), the USB ones look like they sacrifice some speed and usability in order to be ultra-portable.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Pros...9907814&sr=8-2

This is the best way to fix your connectivity issues IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Pros...9907814&sr=8-2

This is the best way to fix your connectivity issues IMO.
    Fantastic. I think i'll just order one of those now. Not expensive at all either.

&Thanks james for the wireless advice. Think I'll go with the above product though, I didn't realise I could just do that and have everything wired up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.