Turn on thread page Beta

Quick question about gym routine watch

ReputationRep:
    The gym routine set by my instructor (no i'm not asking for advice on it) only takes me around 45 mins - 1 hour , and considering i'm pay-as-you-go i'd like to get my moneys worth.

Is it advisable to attempt to redo the whole routine once i'm done with it once, or is this going to have any side effects?

p.s. I think maybe there should be a Q+A thread in this forum cos little questions like this dont really deserve a thread!

ReputationRep:
    If the routine is worth doing, then you would not be able to repeat it again. You should be spent and tired by the end of it. Work hard. An hour is absolutely fine. Get the work done and get the **** out of there. Sit in the hot-tub if you want to get your moneys worth.

The routine may seem easy at first, but if after a week or two, you're really not that fatigued by the end of your session... this 'routine' is a piece of **** and you need to change asap.

Once you've learned this, come back here for proper advice.

ReputationRep:
    Haha ok thanks for the quick response At the moment i've got about 6 excercises, that i'm doing 3 sets of 8-12 max reps in.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the routines like I guess.

If its a heavy resistance program then you shouldnt be able to do it again (though the fact its taking you an hour I doubt it is)

If its cardio then you should be doing HIIT (Unless you have specific endurance targets) which again doesnt take long and I always feel like throwing up after.

ReputationRep:
    No.

After about 45mins-1hour the catabolic hormone cortisol sets in, which is detrimental to training. Cortisol breaks down muscle, so you will reverse the training you have done. This is why your instructor has set you a routine lasting that amount of time. People who spend hours in the gym are fools.

ReputationRep:
    nice bump, lrn2forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonious Block)
    nice bump, lrn2forum.
    Lolz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanneoshea)
    No.

After about 45mins-1hour the catabolic hormone cortisol sets in, which is detrimental to training. Cortisol breaks down muscle, so you will reverse the training you have done. This is why your instructor has set you a routine lasting that amount of time. People who spend hours in the gym are fools.
    sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    sure about that?
    Sure am. Would you like to post a wikipedia response?

ReputationRep:
    Sure am. Would you like to post a wikipedia response?
    NEVER post wikipedia as a "source".

ReputationRep:
    What does the routine look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodkat)
    What does the routine look like?
    Kind of irrelevant considering the original post was almost a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    No.

After about 45mins-1hour the catabolic hormone cortisol sets in, which is detrimental to training. Cortisol breaks down muscle, so you will reverse the training you have done.
    If it's that significant why is it so poorly documented? Why such the broad range? Why is it that many people still make progress while exercising for more than 45-60mins? Why, why, why? It's a load of BS, exaggerated by the Fitness/Muscle rags and taken out of context to help sell magazines.

As long as you're eating properly, getting plenty of rest and not exercising at a high intensity for hour upon hour the vast majority of people can still make progress while working out for longer than 45-60 mins. Likewise a lot of the harmful effects of post exercise cortisol spikes can be inhibited or even reversed by proper post workout nutrition.

This is why your instructor has set you a routine lasting that amount of time.
    With all due respect the vast majority of instructors/trainers/cleaners aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

People who spend hours in the gym are fools.
    Most 'pros' have been doing this for decades to little or no ill effect, it's just another excuse manufactured by those that don't make any progress because of a multitude of reasons.

Get some serious knowledge and experience under your belt and you will know differently.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.