Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So it seems everyone just wants to ruin there livers in university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Id dont drink alcohol, never will, never have and will not be pressurised into doing so. Will i be screwed on freshers week or any potential freindships because i dont drink or get sloshed ?? anyone else out there who didnt drink on freshers week

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I don't not drink but I don't drink to get drunk. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    No, you won't be screwed. If you don't mind being around people who are drunk then there shouldn't be a problem. If you do then I suggest you try and find a group of people like yourself who you can hang about with when the rest are out clubbing/pub/drinking.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    I know what you mean, I don't not drink but I don't drink to get drunk. :sigh:
    Ditto. I like the effect you get after 2 or 3 pints of beer, occasionally more but I never usually have more than 5.

I'm sure there will be plenty of others though. And if not, there's no obligation for you to get drunk, you can still hang around with drunk people!

ReputationRep:
    i aint started yet, but doesn't mean you'll be screwed, you can not drink and still go out!
    I've been on nights out before and not drunk much (2 drinks at the pub before going) and then stuck on water. Apart from the first jibes from my friends, they didn't bother with it after that.
    You'll be reet

ReputationRep:
    You have two options I'd thing:
    1) As above, find some likeminded people who won't go out clubbing all the time.
    2) Put yourself out there without drinking and saying yes to going places.

ReputationRep:
    cheers thanks for your help guys, just dont want to be the loner again like my sixth form years, as i didnt drink then

ReputationRep:
    i dont drink either and i'm kinda worried but i'll cope.

there is nothing wrong with drinking....but when people just binge and binge just to get pissed like they're 14 all over again, which according too thoise i know is what uni seems to be about (which is worrying tbh), that is just retarded.

i'll stick to me ****. both are bad for you and might kill you but the latter doesnt mke you act like a ******* retard in the meantime

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why don't you drink

ReputationRep:
    aa just dont, very health consious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    Id dont drink alcohol, never will, never have and will not be pressurised into doing so. Will i be screwed on freshers week or any potential freindships because i dont drink or get sloshed ?? anyone else out there who didnt drink on freshers week
    Depends on the uni you'll be going to. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    so long as you dont act all "holyer than thou" about it (as your title sugests you might be, alcohol doesnt ruin your life) you should be fine.

i have quite a few T total friends but they still love to come out and dance with the group of us even when a few of us are getting pretty drunk.

bare in mind the sports societies tend to have Major drinking culture. Both the rugby and football teams at my uni have been warned on numerous occasions/banned from using the athletics union bus for drunken/antisocial behaviour. just roll with the punches when it comes to any jibes, laugh it off and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    People who don't want to hang out with you because you don't drink can hardly be worth your trouble, so don't worry. I have lots of friends that never drink, and they have just as much fun as all the rest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but people that don't drink sounds really boring to me. I think I'd struggle to have a lot in common with someone like that. Just my 2 pence anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I get ratted on the regular.

I still like the odd 2 or 3 at the pub though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an issue unless you make it an issue... and by the sounds of your post you're going to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't drink alcohol and it was fine

ReputationRep:
    I drink alcohol, but only when I want to. When I go out I'll have one or two (literally one or two). I want to have a rough idea of what the drinking level in halls is going to be. I've heard things like everyone drinks all the time but I'm taking that with a large pinch of salt.

I'm also worried that people will cut out the "I don't get drunk" aspect and try and force me into drinking games and so forth.

I don't like parties or going to clubs so I'm worried about making friends as well. I guess the reason I don't get drunk is that I don't see the appeal in it; about half of my friends from college are really heavy drinkers.

I don't mind people drinking that much or playing drinking games or whatever, but I find it extremely irritating. Without wanting to sound all holier-than-thou about it, because I'm really not, people constantly drinking seems really immature to me.

But yes, I guess the main thing I'm worried about is finding other people that don't get drunk. I'm the only one out of all of my friends who doesn't get drunk at all. Luckily they're all cool about it but I'm concerned that at uni people will force it on me. It won't make me more likely to drink but I don't want to be disliked because of it.

Does any of that make sense? Sounds to me like I'm rambling.

ReputationRep:
    no you won't not everyone drinks, one of my friends dosn't drink by still comes out as has fun with us, even if you are drunk and she is not, plus she has great pleasure in telling what we did last night as we can't remember it, its not all about drinking

ReputationRep:
    dude needs to open up to the world and let his guard down...not everyone who drinks does so to get mashed, its just sociable. I don't think i've ever been so drunk that i've not known what i was doing. If you find a good group of friends you'll realise that they won't drink to get sozzled (ok probably on occassion) but just to be sociable and its good fun.

This perception that alcohol will ruin your life after one pint is nonsense. But to just totally ignore alcohol without trying it is a bit 'high-horse' ish and naive. Its part of our 'culture', if we even have one in this country.

You will find it hard to get a solid friends base if you just turn up and say 'i dont drink, never have and never will'. People will just think (rightly or wrongly) you're boring and not relaxed enough....from my experiences of people like you. Surely your experience of sixth form is telling you something? All this about not changing yourself for anyone is right, but you have to adapt and can't be stubborn, especially at uni. You have to adapt to the situation, even if that means letting yourself go, in your case

Good luck tho dude, don't be snobbish to people that drink though we're not all bad!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.