Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So it seems everyone just wants to ruin there livers in university Watch

• PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by logic123)
    cheers thanks for your help guys, just dont want to be the loner again like my sixth form years, as i didnt drink then
    I think your problem might be more set in hostility than in not drinking. I mean, if this thread is anything to go by, you seem pretty quick to put down the vast majority of students just to make a point. If you don't want to be lonely at uni, you'll need to drop the hostility. Let people get drunk if they want to, don't make comments about them ruining their lives and suchlike.

ReputationRep:
    i like to drink but as soon as i feel that im getting tipsy i start sobering up by drinking water and soft drinks. i don't like the feeling of not knowing what im going to do and not remebering things in the morning. I dont mind people that don't drink it just means that im gonna have someone with me that i can have a none drinking buddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    I know what you mean, I don't not drink but I don't drink to get drunk. :sigh:
    You sound like me. We'll be fine don't worry

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure the OP title is LIVERS and not LIVES. Unless it's been edited since everyone else last saw it you need to read more closely. Regular heavy drinking does "ruin your liver".

ReputationRep:
    yes. no one will speak to you at all unless you're drinking alcohol at all times. they'll probably spit on you too and steal your shoes.

ReputationRep:
    I go mental on energy drink so I'm just as hyped as the drunkards, whilst still being aware of my actions.
    I get lary when I drink, so I don't do it often, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to build up resistance to alcohol, by drinking. I know it's not going to work but its the best excuse I got :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink because

a) I despise drunk people
    and
    b) It will make my medical condition flare up a load, ruining any chance I had of a good time and ending at Uni/life

I really don't understand the Govts hypocritical approach to it, but I just get along with it. I don't normally mind drunk people - they have to put up with me or anyone else, so all people are entitled to let their hair down once in a while, but if my future dorm-mates are the sort who run around, scream and bash on my door at 2am when drunk, I would have no qualms about opening my door, grabbing one of them, pulling them into the darkness of my room and giving them a bruised and bloodied face...only for them to wake up and wonder how it happened.

Seriously. I hate the fact I am seen as a disgusting human being for self medicating with drugs which are legal/semi legal, and drunk people can get away with fights, unplanned pregnancies, assaults and general *********-ness because it's legal.
    Legal means it's alright, right?
    Well, i'll be the "friendly opiate stoner guy who is always up for a chat and is pretty good at giving advice/being open with people to explore new angles and ideas on things in harmony"..

OP, I am with you.

/rant

Now, where was I?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShsfANJti90

ReputationRep:
    I haven't experienced freshers week yet myself, but i don't understand your problem? If you don't drink then you don't drink. You won't be "screwed" in freshers week just because of that.. i mean its not like freshers week is that different from your normal life, if you manage fine now i'm sure you'll be okay without drinking in freshers week :dontknow: personally i like my alcohol, but its your choice..!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the OP was referring to the pressure put on them by the "norm" of getting totally fecked during the first however many weeks of uni.
    Unless you party for say, a week straight, i'm not sure if it's like your "normal" life...

72 hour raves are good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemadE)
    I don't drink because

and
    b) It will make my medical condition flare up a load, ruining any chance I had of a good time and ending at Uni/life

I really don't understand the Govts hypocritical approach to it, but I just get along with it. I don't normally mind drunk people - they have to put up with me or anyone else, so all people are entitled to let their hair down once in a while, but if my future dorm-mates are the sort who run around, scream and bash on my door at 2am when drunk, I would have no qualms about opening my door, grabbing one of them, pulling them into the darkness of my room and giving them a bruised and bloodied face...only for them to wake up and wonder how it happened.

Seriously. I hate the fact I am seen as a disgusting human being for self medicating with drugs which are legal/semi legal, and drunk people can get away with fights, unplanned pregnancies, assaults and general *********-ness because it's legal.
    Well, i'll be the "friendly opiate stoner guy who is always up for a chat and is pretty good at giving advice/being open with people to explore new angles and ideas on things in harmony"..

OP, I am with you.

/rant

Now, where was I?
    I agree with you totally! Except for:

1. The drugs. I don't take/smoke anything.
    2. The beating up drunk flatmates, primarily because I have the physical presence of a flannel.
    3. The medical condition. Same as 1 really.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine, some people drink some don't its not a huge pressure. i did drink during my first year, but im restarted at leeds met and plan to quit drinking all together, although i still love raving and plan to get wrecked in other such ways, but it was a decision that is best for me.

at the end of the day i get on better with people who don't drink and go to riduclous clubs so it wont really impact me...

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink because

and

OP, I am with you.

/rant

Now, where was I?

ledge. def would rather narcotics than booze.
    choose your poison, and choose what works best for you. alcohol is ridulous,

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink because
    \I don't normally mind drunk people - they have to put up with me or anyone else, so all people are entitled to let their hair down once in a while, but if my future dorm-mates are the sort who run around, scream and bash on my door at 2am when drunk, I would have no qualms about opening my door, grabbing one of them, pulling them into the darkness of my room and giving them a bruised and bloodied face...only for them to wake up and wonder how it happened.
    Laugh out motherfunking loud.
    Not that I agree with you at all (i dont think you would like me) but looooool this is the funniest thing

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the OP was referring to the pressure put on them by the "norm" of getting totally fecked during the first however many weeks of uni.
    Unless you party for say, a week straight, i'm not sure if it's like your "normal" life...

72 hour raves are good though
    was this for me? well i think unless you have no friends who like getting drunk now then, yes, you might feel some "new" pressure to drink but if you really don't like to drink you're probably used to saying no to it already? so what makes it so much difficult to say so in freshers week? surely you can still party it out with the people who are drinking and partying even if you're not having alcoholic beverages? i mean there's no need to completely exclude yourself from everyone else just because you don't consume alcohol :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireHogben)
    You sound like me. We'll be fine don't worry
    I'm joining in with this little crowd. I don't not drink, but I don't get drunk (don't mind what other people do though, have loads of close friends that prefer drunk to sober while out).

ReputationRep:
    I love going out but I'm not a big fan of drinking. Normally I just have one drink then soft drinks...
    Sometimes my friends and the bar staff joke with me about it but it's fine

ReputationRep:
    Your right not to drink.

I went out last night and at 2am I ended up sitting in a club toilet for an hour. After that the bouncer kicked open the door and threw me onto the pavement, and 10 friends had to pick me up and help me get home

So the morale is, if you dont want to drink, dont do it. It isnt particularly good. I love my drink but as long as you would enjoy coming out it would make no difference to me Plus, if your not judgemental, you could help me home Lots of freshers will be greatful of that in the first week!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.