Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Burn more calories than you take in... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting a weight loss programme cos I am a bit too lumpy for my liking, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to work out how many calories I need to expend. Because when people say 'burn more calories than you take in' it sounds like I need to burn 2000-odd calories which is probably not possible unless you run for 4 hours every day. You'd probably die...

So I guess what I'm asking for is how many calories does the body need to run it's every-day processes. I'm 6ft and 12st 2lbs.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Any kcal deficit should result in a loss of mass. Typically if your trying to lose fat rather than muscle (like most people should) you should aim for 1-2lb/week, which results down to 500-1000 kcal deficit/day. More info in the stickies (trying to get people to use 'em today)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemSevenV)
    I'm just starting a weight loss programme cos I am a bit too lumpy for my liking, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to work out how many calories I need to expend. Because when people say 'burn more calories than you take in' it sounds like I need to burn 2000-odd calories which is probably not possible unless you run for 4 hours every day. You'd probably die...

So I guess what I'm asking for is how many calories does the body need to run it's every-day processes. I'm 6ft and 12st 2lbs.

Thanks.
    A good starting point is your current weight in lbs x 12. 3500 Calc is aprox. 1lb of body fat. So to lose 1lb a week you need a 3500 deficit a week which = 500 deficit a day. You can achieve this by upping the cals you burn (doing cardio) and adjusting your diet accordingly.

Another method is to use the Harris Benedict Equation (google it), and this will give you a rough estimate for your daily cal intake. Once you have it -500/1000 for fat loss and this is how much you need to eat a day.

Sites like livestrong.com are handy for tracking cals.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes the stickies... I keep forgetting about them. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.