Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lattitude Global Volunteering cost around £1200-1700 for 6months (not inc. flights), which I don't think that sounds like a massive rip off. You get their expertise, security of you placement and most importantly the safety factor. 24 hour helplines, someone in the country who's there for you and peace of mind for your parents who then won't ring you every day.... And if you do get terribly injured you know they're going to take responsibility for you, get you into good healthcare etc.

I think it's important to differentiate between gap year COMPANIES and gap year CHARITIES.

I do think many are massive rip offs....

As a rule, I think any gap year organisation who AREN'T selective of their candidates whether by application/interview/selection are probably more interested in your money than you. If a company is willing to send anyone across the world to represent the UK and take on a responsible role without checking they are actually suitable for it and just want to know you can pay for it... I wouldn't want to go with them.

ReputationRep:
    Any cheap but worthwhile volunteer organisations for Brazil that someone can recommend?
    Also, I agree with Mushin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.