Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seat belts - do you always wear one? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you always wear a seat belt?
    Yes
    95.29%
    No
    4.35%
    Not fitted but I would
    0%
    Not fitted and I wouldn't
    0%
    I'm medically exempt
    0.36%

ReputationRep:
    Both as a driver or passenger in a private vehicle (excluding taxis and buses).

I was wondering how we would compare to the national average, which is just over 90%

Also, do you agree that it should be compulsory to wear one, where fitted?

ReputationRep:
    I wear one in the car all the time, taxis also, busses tend not to have them...

It is compulsory to wear one where fitted is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    It is compulsory to wear one where fitted is it not?
    Nope. I was asking whether you agreed with the status quo law. Maybe that's not very clear!

ReputationRep:
    I always wear mine in both cars and taxis, and on any coaches that have them fitted.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wear one in private cars, but not in taxis.

My Dad's old car didn't have seat belts, but I would've worn it.

I think deep down it stems from when I was little; if we played with our seatbelts, Mom would stop the car, if we carried on, we'd turn around and go home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Nope. I was asking whether you agreed with the status quo law. Maybe that's not very clear!
    I agree entirely, nobody wants someone flying around inside the car in the event of a crash.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I can't see why anyone wouldn't wear one to be honest For the two seconds it takes to clip it in place and unclip it when the journey ends, I think the benefits far outweigh the costs.

ReputationRep:
    I do in cars, all the time, but not taxis.
    Clunk, click, every trip. :')

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear one normally.
    I know it's incredibly stupid not to but its more of a habit than anything - I rarely go in cars/taxis/vans, it's always the tube or buses and they don't have seat belts. (When I say rarely, I actually mean like, 5-10 times a year).

Then again, if I remember that seat belts exist whilst in a car/taxi/van, then I put it on straight away XD

ReputationRep:
    You would have to be pretty disable not to wear one considering the time it take to put one on vs the amount of risk it takes away in the even of a crash. Then again alot of older people don't wear them because they forget about them not because they want to look cool or hard like the majority of younger people who don't wear them.

I am not bothered it others wear seat belts in a car or not as long as there not in with me, I don't want some 70 odd kg sack of meat and bone flying around the car if we crash lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, always.

ReputationRep:
    "Yes"

ReputationRep:
    I wear one all the time whenever I'm in a car. I don't bother wearing one in a taxi though

ReputationRep:
    yep

ReputationRep:
    Always. Except I never did on the school bus. School trips, yes.. but not on the way to school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I can't see why anyone wouldn't wear one to be honest For the two seconds it takes to clip it in place and unclip it when the journey ends, I think the benefits far outweigh the costs.
    I don't think it's so much to do with time or effort, but rather to do with the idea that people should be allowed to judge risks for themselves.

You have just weighed up things for yourself and decided to wear a seat belt. Shouldn't others be able to do the same without being fined for coming to a different decision?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's so much to do with time or effort, but rather to do with the idea that people should be allowed to judge risks for themselves.

You have just weighed up things for yourself and decided to wear a seat belt. Shouldn't others be able to do the same without being fined for coming to a different decision?
    Only if they are in the car alone.

And if you access the risk vs reward for yourself then I am sure you would come to the same conclusion as the government and wear a seat belt.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

Where did I say I thought people should be fined for not wearing seatbelts? I was expressing my non-understanding of people who don't wear them. The fact of the matter is that, in case of a crash, a seatbelt will stop you from flying head-first towards a windscreen or, if sat in the back, head-first into a passenger in front (potentially killing them too).

Someone might not wear a seatbelt on the premise that a crash, and especially a fatal crash, is a very unlikely eventuality; and they'd be right, but it is a possible outcome, and it's an outcome whose probability could be further reduced by spending a couple of seconds clipping a seatbelt in. If someone's going to risk only their own life by not wearing a seatbelt (say if they're in a car alone) out of the principle that they trust their own judgement and risk assessment, then by all means let them; but in a car with other people, especially if sitting behind other people, it's an incredibly selfish thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, always when in a car. Even if the driver is very safe you could always get some idiot tearing round a corner. I occasionally don't on coaches- they don't fit very well.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear one when driving and in the passenger seat at the front, but hardly ever when in sitting in the back of the car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.