Turn on thread page Beta

Seat belts - do you always wear one? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you always wear a seat belt?
    Yes
    94.95%
    No
    4.69%
    Not fitted but I would
    0%
    Not fitted and I wouldn't
    0%
    I'm medically exempt
    0.36%

ReputationRep:
    I always wear my seatbelt and I ensure that enyone else in my car is wearing their seatbelts as well...otherwise the car is going nowhere!

ReputationRep:
    always do, grown up with them

ReputationRep:
    If there is a seat belt available, then yes.

To people who don't in taxis, why do you consider taxis any different? I don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt because I want to live...

Yep, I always wear a seat belt and also make sure everyone else is wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    Always. I've noticed some people have said they don't bother when they're in taxis, something which I don't quite understand. Taxis are cars therefore surely you should wear a seatbelt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Where did I say I thought people should be fined for not wearing seatbelts?
    Indeed you didn't. That's why I'm asking.

I was expressing my non-understanding of people who don't wear them. The fact of the matter is that, in case of a crash, a seatbelt will stop you from flying head-first towards a windscreen or, if sat in the back, head-first into a passenger in front (potentially killing them too).

Someone might not wear a seatbelt on the premise that a crash, and especially a fatal crash, is a very unlikely eventuality; and they'd be right, but it is a possible outcome, and it's an outcome whose probability could be further reduced by spending a couple of seconds clipping a seatbelt in. If someone's going to risk only their own life by not wearing a seatbelt (say if they're in a car alone) out of the principle that they trust their own judgement and risk assessment, then by all means let them; but in a car with other people, especially if sitting behind other people, it's an incredibly selfish thing to do.
    I agree with that. Silly, selfish (if sitting behind someone) but shouldn't be a criminal offence.

ReputationRep:
    i always wear a seatbelt if there is one
    always
    especially since one of my friends had a seatbelt save their life... however one of our mutual friends still chooses not to... i really don't understand why?!

ReputationRep:
    :yes: i always wear one

Always.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Even in taxi's and on coaches if they are fitted.

ReputationRep:
    Always. Just like Kanye West said after his car accident:

"Thank God I ain't too cool for the seat belt"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)

I agree with that. Silly, selfish (if sitting behind someone) but shouldn't be a criminal offence.
    What if wearing seatbelts was not a legal requirement, and someone sat in the back seat of a car was not wearing one, and the car crashed, and they killed the person sat in the seat in front of them, by virtue of not wearing a seatbelt. As one simple action that they chose to not undertake could've prevented this persons death, do you think they should be charged with something? Manslaughter? Unlawful killing?

ReputationRep:
    100% wear one. All the time. And I moan at whoever I spot not wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    What if wearing seatbelts was not a legal requirement, and someone sat in the back seat of a car was not wearing one, and the car crashed, and they killed the person sat in the seat in front of them, by virtue of not wearing a seatbelt. As one simple action that they chose to not undertake could've prevented this persons death, do you think they should be charged with something? Manslaughter? Unlawful killing?
    That's a very interesting question. I'm very tempted to say yes, but as far as I'm aware not doing something which could have prevented someone's death wasn't a criminal offence (except negligence in the work place). Is there a precedence in law for anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    That's a very interesting question. I'm very tempted to say yes, but as far as I'm aware not doing something which could have prevented someone's death wasn't a criminal offence (except negligence in the work place). Is there a precedence in law for anything similar?
    Wasn't there that man in America who was charged with manslaughter for not taking his daughter to hospital when she suffered diabetes? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6736424.ece

I'm aware this was in the US but atm I can't think of an example from the UK off the top of my head, I'll take a look.
    EDIT:After consulting wikipedia (I know....) I think it would come under 'Manslaughter by Gross Negligence'

ReputationRep:
    I always ensure that I put my seatbelt on. It really bugs me that I can't persuade my dad to put his on, yet when he sees a police car he belts up immediately.

ReputationRep:
    I wear i all the time, people who don't wear them that are sat in the back seat could actually kill the people in the front in the event of a crash because they will be thrown forward and crush the driver / front passenger, so its just one of those things you have to do!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, only if i'm sitting in the front seat though.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear one in cars/taxis/coaches etc. To the point where I have refused to get in coaches and cars where there's not been a seatbelt available for me.

But then again I would not be typing this message if it hadn't been for a seatbelt so I have my reasons.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.