Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seat belts - do you always wear one? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you always wear a seat belt?
    Yes
    95.29%
    No
    4.35%
    Not fitted but I would
    0%
    Not fitted and I wouldn't
    0%
    I'm medically exempt
    0.36%

ReputationRep:
    I always wear my seatbelt and I ensure that enyone else in my car is wearing their seatbelts as well...otherwise the car is going nowhere!

ReputationRep:
    always do, grown up with them

ReputationRep:
    If there is a seat belt available, then yes.

To people who don't in taxis, why do you consider taxis any different? I don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt because I want to live...

Yep, I always wear a seat belt and also make sure everyone else is wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    Always. I've noticed some people have said they don't bother when they're in taxis, something which I don't quite understand. Taxis are cars therefore surely you should wear a seatbelt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Where did I say I thought people should be fined for not wearing seatbelts?
    Indeed you didn't. That's why I'm asking.

I was expressing my non-understanding of people who don't wear them. The fact of the matter is that, in case of a crash, a seatbelt will stop you from flying head-first towards a windscreen or, if sat in the back, head-first into a passenger in front (potentially killing them too).

Someone might not wear a seatbelt on the premise that a crash, and especially a fatal crash, is a very unlikely eventuality; and they'd be right, but it is a possible outcome, and it's an outcome whose probability could be further reduced by spending a couple of seconds clipping a seatbelt in. If someone's going to risk only their own life by not wearing a seatbelt (say if they're in a car alone) out of the principle that they trust their own judgement and risk assessment, then by all means let them; but in a car with other people, especially if sitting behind other people, it's an incredibly selfish thing to do.
    I agree with that. Silly, selfish (if sitting behind someone) but shouldn't be a criminal offence.

ReputationRep:
    i always wear a seatbelt if there is one
    always
    especially since one of my friends had a seatbelt save their life... however one of our mutual friends still chooses not to... i really don't understand why?!

ReputationRep:
    :yes: i always wear one

Always.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Even in taxi's and on coaches if they are fitted.

ReputationRep:
    Always. Just like Kanye West said after his car accident:

"Thank God I ain't too cool for the seat belt"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)

I agree with that. Silly, selfish (if sitting behind someone) but shouldn't be a criminal offence.
    What if wearing seatbelts was not a legal requirement, and someone sat in the back seat of a car was not wearing one, and the car crashed, and they killed the person sat in the seat in front of them, by virtue of not wearing a seatbelt. As one simple action that they chose to not undertake could've prevented this persons death, do you think they should be charged with something? Manslaughter? Unlawful killing?

ReputationRep:
    100% wear one. All the time. And I moan at whoever I spot not wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    What if wearing seatbelts was not a legal requirement, and someone sat in the back seat of a car was not wearing one, and the car crashed, and they killed the person sat in the seat in front of them, by virtue of not wearing a seatbelt. As one simple action that they chose to not undertake could've prevented this persons death, do you think they should be charged with something? Manslaughter? Unlawful killing?
    That's a very interesting question. I'm very tempted to say yes, but as far as I'm aware not doing something which could have prevented someone's death wasn't a criminal offence (except negligence in the work place). Is there a precedence in law for anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    That's a very interesting question. I'm very tempted to say yes, but as far as I'm aware not doing something which could have prevented someone's death wasn't a criminal offence (except negligence in the work place). Is there a precedence in law for anything similar?
    Wasn't there that man in America who was charged with manslaughter for not taking his daughter to hospital when she suffered diabetes? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6736424.ece

I'm aware this was in the US but atm I can't think of an example from the UK off the top of my head, I'll take a look.
    EDIT:After consulting wikipedia (I know....) I think it would come under 'Manslaughter by Gross Negligence'

ReputationRep:
    I always ensure that I put my seatbelt on. It really bugs me that I can't persuade my dad to put his on, yet when he sees a police car he belts up immediately.

ReputationRep:
    I wear i all the time, people who don't wear them that are sat in the back seat could actually kill the people in the front in the event of a crash because they will be thrown forward and crush the driver / front passenger, so its just one of those things you have to do!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, only if i'm sitting in the front seat though.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear one in cars/taxis/coaches etc. To the point where I have refused to get in coaches and cars where there's not been a seatbelt available for me.

But then again I would not be typing this message if it hadn't been for a seatbelt so I have my reasons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.