Turn on thread page Beta

Seat belts - do you always wear one? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you always wear a seat belt?
    Yes
    94.95%
    No
    4.69%
    Not fitted but I would
    0%
    Not fitted and I wouldn't
    0%
    I'm medically exempt
    0.36%

ReputationRep:
    i normaly wear 1 98% of the time...dunno why i dont sumtimes cos ive been in a few accidents where i would be hurt without 1

i always put the belt under my arm though, rather than over my shoulder, sum random habit i have from childhood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    It never occurs to me not to. It takes two seconds to do it up, why wouldn't you wear one? I don't buy this rubbish about "assessing risks for oneself". If you don't wear a seatbelt and you crash, you'll probably die or be seriously injured. Where's the assessment needed in that? If you consider that and then decide not to wear a seatbelt, you're an idiot and the seatbelt should be compulsory for you anyway.
    Where would you draw the line at things the government should involve itself in, then?

Compulsory ski helmets? Bicycle helmets? Banning alcohol, smoking?

ReputationRep:
    Not on any public transport, though even in taxi's i'll put it on, just because its a taxi doesn't make it any different in a RTC, all taxi's up here are just normal cars with a taxi light ontop / private hire.
    I dont think theres any excuse for not wearing one, someone mentioned before about it being individual judgement and their choice to wear a seatbelt...tell that to either the person you hit in the front seat and everyone in the car who you've traumatised by getting thrown around or even out of the vehicle, if you want to take the extreme view.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the original question: yes, even when I don't really mean to. It's a bit of a force of habit when I step into either the driver's or passenger's side - just like locking the car when I step out is a force of habit (even when I want to get something from the back seat).

Yes, always.
    And if anyone gets into my car and doesn't put one on the car doesn't move until they do so (or they get out again). That doesn't really happen now though, it was more when I was at college and some people thought not wearing one made them cool or something.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    yep always wear a seatbelt

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to let people ride in my car unless they wear one, not because I want to keep them safe (that's up to them) so much as I don't want the mental scarring resulting from watching someone I know fly head first through the windscreen and knowing that I could have done something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the beep in my car when you don't wear it makes you want to break the car anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I wouldn't equate smoking and alcohol with seatbelts. I'd equate it more with heroin, in terms of danger if we're equating it to anything as melodramatic as that. People do not die after one night on the town (except in cases of sheer stupidity, in which case I don't think they should be drinking anyway) or one cigarette, but your very first trip in a car without a seatbelt can kill you.

And people who drink heavily for years might never see any ill effects from it, yet travelling without a seatbelt for years on end makes it very likely you'll be involved in an incident. Most of my parents generation drank heavily for many years and I don't know anyone with ill effects from it even forty years down the line. On the other hand, I know about six young people who have been in car crashes before they turned 25.

I do think ski helmets and bicycle helmets should be compulsory. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be. And, to be honest, I thought they already were.
    Umm, you are no more likely to be involved in an accident if you don't wear your seatbelt than if you do...... Just the consequences of such an accident are far worse.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a period of about 3 1/2 years where I didn't bother. However that was probably down to the fact that I grew up having a series 2 daimlerised, Jaguar XJ6 as our family car. That didn't have seatbelts in the back so I obviously couldn't put one on. When I got my own car, after years of being used to not having to wear one in the jag, they felt funny so I chose not to bother.

I started wearing it after I was pulled over and given a £30 fine in 2006
    So thinking about it i've only really been bothering to wear one for the last 3 years or so.
    Still don't like how they feel, but I'd prefer my £30 to stay in my wallet.

Lets be realistic, if I wreck my MGB I'm probably not going to walk away from it anyway. So, a seatbelt is actually a complete waste of time.
    If I'm honest, if the law allowed me to I wouldn't bother wearing one. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow this. So, I'm stuck with it, sadly...

ReputationRep:
    In a car, always! On a short bus/coach ride, no, if the majority of people aren't wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    yes always, i think it's silly not wearing one in a car/van etc. especially in a car accident, the amount of lives that could've been saved if one was to wear a seatbelt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I wouldn't equate smoking and alcohol with seatbelts. I'd equate it more with heroin, in terms of danger if we're equating it to anything as melodramatic as that. People do not die after one night on the town (except in cases of sheer stupidity, in which case I don't think they should be drinking anyway) or one cigarette, but your very first trip in a car without a seatbelt can kill you.
    We've already established that stupidity can kill. The argument is about whether things should be illegal just because someone has the potential to kill themselves. You admit that a night of very heavy drinking can kill, yet that's quite legal. Your very first trip in a car, with or without a seat belt, can also kill.

And people who drink heavily for years might never see any ill effects from it, yet travelling without a seatbelt for years on end makes it very likely you'll be involved in an incident. Most of my parents generation drank heavily for many years and I don't know anyone with ill effects from it even forty years down the line. With smoking, the only people I know who have actually become ill through it are generally over 50 and were incredibly heavy smokers anyway. On the other hand, I know about six young people who have been in car crashes before they turned 25.
    And I know people of my parents' generation who have not been wearing seat belts for over 40 years. They have a different outlook on life from our generation, and don't like being told to do things when they affect only themselves (we've already discussed about rear seat belts) - just as you say they've been drinking heavily for many years is also a choice they've made.

I do think ski helmets and bicycle helmets should be compulsory. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be. And, to be honest, I thought they already were.
    Nope. There was that actress who died a few months ago skiing, which led to a few career politicians who had discovered something they'd not legislated about yet to demand that skiing helmets be made compulsory. It seems to have been forgotten about now.
    Cyclists, not motorcyclists, helmets are not compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, why wouldn't you.

ReputationRep:
    of course, my horse.

ReputationRep:
    why not?, It definitely saves your life, but there's no need for it to be compulsory..
    "Every man for himself."

Yes in cars and taxis, but in long haul coach trips I hate the lap belt (which can cause severe abdominal injury in a crash) so usually don't wear it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickie112)
    I always wear one when driving and in the passenger seat at the front, but hardly ever when in sitting in the back of the car.
    Why not in the back? In a crash you will fly into the seat in front, putting force into it, and possibly killing the person in the front you. Not to mention killing/paralysing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    it's weird. I'd never think of not wearing one in a car, yet I struggle to always do it in a taxi..

ReputationRep:
    Always when driving or in the front passenger seat, I normally do when in the back.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.