Turn on thread page Beta

Seat belts - do you always wear one? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you always wear a seat belt?
    Yes
    94.95%
    No
    4.69%
    Not fitted but I would
    0%
    Not fitted and I wouldn't
    0%
    I'm medically exempt
    0.36%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, pretty much all the time, bar the odd occassion when the driver is reckless and lets about 7 people in the car

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was compulsory to wear one?
    I wear a seat belt whenever in the car, I dont even have to think about it, it's like an automatic action now. Better to be safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I always do as a force of habit. I find my self putting it on when Im moving my car just a couple of meters across my drive or something haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i always wear a seat belt, whether im the drive or passenger- i think it's soo stupid not to.

I will also not drive anyone in my car that won't wear a seat belt.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a crash in norway in which the driver fell asleep at the wheel and the car rolled down an embankment, so yeah, I'd never go without

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    You have just weighed up things for yourself and decided to wear a seat belt. Shouldn't others be able to do the same without being fined for coming to a different decision?
    I don't want my tax money to be wasted on rehabilitation of idiots who didn't wear a seatbelt. Hence why I think it should be compulsory.

I'm fine with it being used on helping out people who've suffered genuine accidents, though.

ReputationRep:
    I've always worn one. I tend to reach for it instinctively when I get into the car so it's actually difficult for me not to put it on. The only time I haven't worn one was in S2 when my nutcase school bus driver yelled at everyone if they used one! Thank god I moved houses so I now get a different driver. He's still driving the bus though and I'm surprised he's not fired or taken to court yet to be honest! In fact, I've contemplated phoning up the bus company or telling the school because he's going to get someone killed or seriously injured at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of making it illegal they should just say that if you are in a crash in a vehicle with seatbelts when you haven't been wearing one, you don't qualify for NHS treatment, you have to pay for your treatment privately.

ReputationRep:
    Always wear one.

Although my dad does this annoying thing where he will drive off and then put his seatbelt on once he's started moving.

I've asked him a thousand times why doesn't he put it on first but he still does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fragreaper)
    It's an interesting point. But when a person does not wear their seatbelt, it's not just them that is affected. If it was, I would all be for natural selection.

Bump at 30mph with seatbelts - Minor damage to vehicle / street furniture, someone's insurance premium goes up. A couple of people inconvenienced.

Bump at 30mph with no seatbelts - At the very least likely to be serious injury with a good chance of fatality. This then means that road is going to be closed off for several hours, costing tens of thousands on the NHS, wasting days of several police officer's time, causing inconvenience to industry and hundreds of other motorists, the costs of a full investigation a coroners court... All payed for by you and me the taxpayer.

From this, the public good in terms of cost and fatalities, it makes sense to make not wearing one illegal. Since the general public aren't generally reasonable and would not wear seatbelts, enforcement is the only option. Is it proportionate to give one couldn'tgiveatoss driver a £60 penalty, to encourage him to wear a seatbelt in the future if it potentially saves us all hundreds of thousands of pounds in the cleanup, from an otherwise uneventful road traffic accident?

In summary... why not wear a seatbelt? It's no extra cost or burden on the individual, and the only reason not to (barring a legitimate medical exemption) is purely aesthetic.
    Very good points.

(Original post by HJV)
    I don't want my tax money to be wasted on rehabilitation of idiots who didn't wear a seatbelt. Hence why I think it should be compulsory.

I'm fine with it being used on helping out people who've suffered genuine accidents, though.
    What about people who've suffered accidents or need treatment due to alcohol, smoking-related diseases, obesity etc?

ReputationRep:
    I always wear mine. When I was 13 me and my mum were involved in a car accident where a car coming towards us lost control coming round a corner, hit the drivers side of the car, then hit the back then crashed in to the hill on the other side of the road. He was only 21 and died, if he had been wearing his seat belt he probably would have survived. It was scary.

ReputationRep:
    It's a legal requirement... and i value my life

ReputationRep:
    I usually wear it, sometimes don't bother if I'm just driving back from the shop (along quiet suburb roads, crash is highly unlikely).

ReputationRep:
    I always wear a seatbelt in cars, taxis and coaches where they are fitted. I think the benefits are worth it, my Granddad recently came over from South Africa and never put his on and I always told him to, just through habit as my parents have always told me its important to wear one so I always have.

ReputationRep:
    I always always wear one. It's just instinct I guess :P

ReputationRep:
    My friend went to Pakistan last year and when he put on his seatbelt every1 started staring at him !

ReputationRep:
    My car beeps at me if I or my passenger don't it on. But I would always wear it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If there is one there I always wear it. It wasn't 'cool' to on coaches for schools trips etc, but I still wore it.

ReputationRep:
    Always. I never really did when I could get away with it until I started driving myself .

ReputationRep:
    I don't always, but most of the time.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.