Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did 6 subjects in my AS - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
    I'm thinking of dropping further maths and physics, but just wondering if my application to medicine be any stronger if I carried on with physics and further maths. And please don't answer saying "do 3 A levels because 3As are better than 2As and 3Bs." I'm just asking if 5As + WB is better than 3As + WB. All the open days and stuff i visited said no - that I'm no better off with 5As as a pose to 3, just looking for another opinion.

ReputationRep:
    But wont the offer be made on 6 subjects... so if you're guranteed to get 6 a's AND be able to have EC's/work experiance blah blah blah

i dont see why not? Again im not sure so there will be more informative people to answer it better :P

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't really be bothered to put in the extra work if it will make no significant difference.

ReputationRep:
    why not do 7, macca?

it should mek a real difference. but not to your application...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohit0406)
    Hi, I did 6 subjects in my AS - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
    I'm thinking of dropping further maths and physics, but just wondering if my application to medicine be any stronger if I carried on with physics and further maths. And please don't answer saying "do 3 A levels because 3As are better than 2As and 3Bs." I'm just asking if 5As + WB is better than 3As + WB. All the open days and stuff i visited said no - that I'm no better off with 5As as a pose to 3, just looking for another opinion.
    it's your funeral... xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    But wont the offer be made on 6 subjects... so if you're guranteed to get 6 a's AND be able to have EC's/work experiance :P
    then you'd be one sad individual of limited cognitive and reasoning ability.

serious, if you cant work out simple fings like this for yourself, then what 'ope do you 'ave of practising in ealthcare where oyu are responsible for the 'ealth of others?

ReputationRep:
    No, most people will have at least 7.

Of course it's overkill. I wouldn't have said to do more than 4.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: holy crap, surely that amount is overkill for anything??
    Plenty of people get into med school with the average amount of A levels, I don't see the point in pushing it overboard and doing that many, especially since you've already got them all established at AS.

ReputationRep:
    All the open days and stuff i visited said no - that I'm no better off with 5As as a pose to 3, just looking for another opinion.
    you've heard it straight from the horse's mouth. isn't that the best possible answer?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    As i said in my post, i wasnt sure so jeez whats with the attitude...:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Not much point really tbh. Come exams it's just going to put more pressure on you and you'll be revising like mad! There's quite a lot of material to be learnt for A_level...most of it is a memory job and a bit of common sense.

For medicine I think 5 subjects would suffice. One important aspect is work experience etc...I think already doing 5 A-levels would put you at the forefront academically (providing you get all A's and high UMS's)

ReputationRep:
    James - its not attitude, its a perfectly valid perception.

like, if i saw someone trying to work out if they should carry out 'eart surgery wif a spoon, or not. you know.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    6 A-levels is probably overkill, yes, especially if you're doing it just to try and get a place on a Medicine course. If you're genuinely interested in those 6 subjects and you want to pursue them to A-level for reasons other than throwing a sackful of qualifications in admissions tutors' faces, then go for it. As a general rule, 3 is enough, 4 is optimal, and 5 is a lot of work but impressive if you can pull it off. 6 or more is just unnecessary.

ReputationRep:

serious, if you cant work out simple fings like this for yourself, then what 'ope do you 'ave of practising in ealthcare where oyu are responsible for the 'ealth of others?
    well to be honest, i dont care what you think :yes:

But also if he definately knows he can get 6 a's on top of a good application, i dont see why not? Yeah its not the norm, doesnt mean it cant be done.... Honestly try to spell things correctly, makes it a nightmare for other people to read...

ReputationRep:
    It is definately not going to do you any favours. You will be made an offer on the condition that you achieve Grades in 3 subjects, not 5.

If your offer is AAA, and you achieve AABBB it will not get you in.

Do 3 subjects so that you can make sure you meet an offer which is given to you

ReputationRep:
    James - its not attitude, its a perfectly valid perception.

like, if i saw someone trying to work out if they should carry out 'eart surgery wif a spoon or not. you know.
    Yes from one post you've managed to deduce my whole personna. I am allowed to make mistakes am I which i did say in my post that i wasn't completely sure of the english system. Many people i know take more than 3 advanced highers so im thinkin the same could be applied to a-level...

Also thats a very narrow perception, that would be like me seeing you eat a salad then saying "your a vegetarian."

ReputationRep:
    Yes from one post you've managed to deduce my whole personna.
    i was originally talking about Rohit, but if YOU want to expand MY Rohit metaphor to include yourself as well, then thats your perogative.

But also if he definitely knows he can get 6 a's on top of a good application, i dont see why not? Yeah its not the norm, doesnt mean it cant be done.... Honestly try to spell things correctly, makes it a nighmare for other people to read...
    you understood me fine, so ......NO, macca.

I'm not quite understanding what the OP is actually asking?

All the open days and stuff i visited said no - that I'm no better off with 5As as a pose to 3, just looking for another opinion.
    If you have been informed by the Universities that you'll be no better of with 5 A's than 3, then I'm not sure how our opinions or comments in this thread really stack up against what you've already been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    If your offer is AAA, and you achieve AABBB it will not get you in.
    The exact thing I said not to post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.