Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you want to drop further maths and physics, then do. No point punishing yourself.

If the admissions people (who decide these things) say there's no advantage in more than 3, then there's no advantage in more than 3. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohit0406)
    The exact thing I said not to post.
    No need to be rude...

ReputationRep:
    Ya knw i have a conditional offer for medicine ths year and I did 4 AS's and dropped one leaving 3Alevels. Fair play to you doing 6 at AS but honestly A2 is a different ball game than AS. Your marks are considerably lower in A2. You will already be impressing doing 6AS'S u dont need to put yourself under so much pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    If you have been informed by the Universities that you'll be no better of with 5 A's than 3, then I'm not sure how our opinions or comments in this thread really stack up against what you've already been told.
    I felt the guys at the open days to be biased when they said that doing more than 3 will do no good simply because they didn't want us to do more and get bad grades as a result.

ReputationRep:
    I felt the guys at the open days to be biased when they said that doing more than 3 will do no good simply because they didn't want us to do more and get bad grades as a result.

LOL

wat a marvellous reason for a bias, macca.

are you typing this from inside a padded cell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    LOL

wat a marvellous reason for a bias, macca.

are you typing this from inside a padded cell?
    Actually, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    But wont the offer be made on 6 subjects... so if you're guranteed to get 6 a's AND be able to have EC's/work experiance blah blah blah

i dont see why not? Again im not sure so there will be more informative people to answer it better :P
    no, the only place that sometimes stretch to 4 term offers is cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    It is definitely not going to do you any favours. You will be made an offer on the condition that you achieve Grades in 3 subjects, not 5.

If your offer is AAA, and you achieve AABBB it will not get you in.

Do 3 subjects so that you can make sure you meet an offer which is given to you
    It actually makes it a lot easier, 5 A-levels isn't anything special nowadays, and the work load for 5 A-levels is quite easy (especially for someone planning to do medicine and in this subject combination). However it does look better on the application, and it makes it easier to make the offer, as you can mess up 2 of the subjects and still make the grade. Though an A grade in chemistry will probably be required.

As for doing welsh, I can't comment, I never did it, but I don't see it being that much harder to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    Of course more is never going to be worse. Just pull up your trouserlegs and get down that mineshaft, sonny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    Thank you, that i didnt know. My mistake...honestly some of the people on here...

ReputationRep:
    4 AS 3 A2, its all you need. Theres no point doing more than that

ReputationRep:
    The exact thing I said not to post.
    Well that is the truth. If you dont want people to have an opinion, dont open a thread.

Take 5 A-Levels, and achieve average grades then. Dont post another thread on here saying 'what should I do' come August next year when you realise you tried to be too clever

Its your decision.

I can perhaps understand your paranoia, however, I doubt it's because of bias. :eek:

If you feel you are able to attain 6 A Levels, then I guess there is no harm in doing so. However, as has been mentioned to you, both in a professional and non-professional capacity, you aren't going to get further ahead by doing so. :cool:

If you have a short-list of Universities, I guess you could contact the admissions department directly and hear their stance on such matters. I'm sure it'll reflect what has been said to you on here. :yes:

Regardless however, I wish you the best of luck in your applications, and with your studies, should or shouldn't you choose to do 6 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    4 AS 3 A2, its all you need. Theres no point doing more than that
    True, in its simplest form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    hmm...i beg to differ, my friend got offers for AAAA/AAAB from all her unis
    imperial, edinburgh, oxford...some other places, none of which cambridge thoughh :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadalot)
    It actually makes it a lot easier, 5 A-levels isn't anything special nowadays, and the work load for 5 A-levels is quite easy (especially for someone planning to do medicine and in this subject combination). However it does look better on the application, and it makes it easier to make the offer, as you can mess up 2 of the subjects and still make the grade. Though an A grade in chemistry will probably be required.

As for doing welsh, I can't comment, I never did it, but I don't see it being that much harder to fit in.
    how is doing one month of extra work to ensure an A in a module (as in doing three A lvls)harder than doing three months of extra work to definitely get an A in one of the subjects and an A/B in two extra others (as in six A lvls)?

this is simple reasoning, not rocket science, guys.

ReputationRep:
    2 Letters... IB

That's the equivlant of 6.5 A levels so I don't see why not... Good luck OP x

ReputationRep:
    6 A levels is fine, but the whole application process when school starts and interviews etc... can be quite stressful, so I'd stick to 4. Although 6 is manageable - you'll just be working very hard.

I personally did 6AS and 4A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChannieAlana)
    2 Letters... IB

That's the equivlant of 6.5 A levels so I don't see why not... Good luck OP x
    IB to A level conversion is massively flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by km31)
    hmm...i beg to differ, my friend got offers for AAAA/AAAB from all her unis
    imperial, edinburgh, oxford...some other places, none of which cambridge thoughh :o:
    oh :sigh:
    None of the people i know who did >3 got offers with 4 conditions. strange
    Imperial, oxford etc all prestigious though so more likely to bump up the offers?

EDIT: actually are you talking about med? because i have friends going to imperial and oxford and both their offers are AAA. were you talking other subjects?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.