Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is 6 A levels overkill for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Thank you, that i didnt know. My mistake...honestly some of the people on here...
    who cant read a simple website properly, a site to which they are making an application, aye, james.

spoon for surgery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    oh :sigh:
    None of the people i know who did >3 got offers with 4 conditions. strange
    Imperial, oxford etc all prestigious though so more likely to bump up the offers?

EDIT: actually are you talking about med? because i have friends going to imperial and oxford and both their offers are AAA. were you talking other subjects?
    I'm going to Imperial and my offer is AAAC.

Oxford is AAA, I agree. Some of the London schools will make 4 A Level offers - typically AAAC or AAAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    who cant read a simple website properly, a site to which they are making an application, aye, james.

spoon for surgery?
    go back to NMM
    your idiosyncratic speech will not be tolerated here
    you cannot hide behind your post count now gizmo!

ReputationRep:
    As very few places if any to my knowlege make offers on more than four, you may as well fill out UCAS with predictions for six, then drop two or three as soon as you get offers.

ReputationRep:
    oh :sigh:
    None of the people i know who did >3 got offers with 4 conditions. strange
    Imperial, oxford etc all prestigious though so more likely to bump up the offers?

EDIT: actually are you talking about med? because i have friends going to imperial and oxford and both their offers are AAA. were you talking other subjects?
    Oh yeah not for medicine, for maths, crazy...specially since one of her subjects is geography, so far from related to maths but its still in the offer

ReputationRep:
    go back to NMM
    your idiosyncratic speech will not be tolerated here
    you cannot hide behind your post count now gizmo!
    lol, noOOO, macca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    As very few places if any to my knowlege make offers on more than four, you may as well fill out UCAS with predictions for six, then drop two or three as soon as you get offers.
    This is actually a good idea :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I'm going to Imperial and my offer is AAAC.

Oxford is AAA, I agree. Some of the London schools will make 4 A Level offers - typically AAAC or AAAB.
    cool. i wonder what it is that makes unis offer different grades to different people. relevance of 4th A level and performance at interview is all i can think of

ReputationRep:
    cool. i wonder what it is that makes unis offer different grades to different people. relevance of 4th A level and performance at interview is all i can think of
    Imperial never give AAA offers in any circumstance.

People with 3 A levels get AAAb offers, people with 4 A levels or more get AAAC offers.

ReputationRep:
    lol, noOOO, macca.
    what is this macca business?
    you maccam, we'll sail em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Imperial never give AAA offers in any circumstance.

People with 3 A levels get AAAb offers, people with 4 A levels or more get AAAC offers.
    i was sort of treating that as AAA since AS conditions always struck me as weird

ReputationRep:

spoon for surgery?
    yes an application in two years... frankly im not too bothered yet...and im not even doing a-levels so not my problem :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    Well that is the truth. If you dont want people to have an opinion, dont open a thread.

Take 5 A-Levels, and achieve average grades then. Dont post another thread on here saying 'what should I do' come August next year when you realise you tried to be too clever

Its your decision.
    Lol, he could be capable of taking 5 A Levels and achieving high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Lol, he could be capable of taking 5 A Levels and achieving high grades.
    I should hope so if he wants to do Medicine. However, to make sure he achieves his grades, he would be better off having a smaller workload with more time dedicated to each subject.

ReputationRep:
    to underline Dom's point, your time as a teenager wont ever come again.
    there will come a time when you regret not doing other things as at teen, because theres far too much to do as a teen to waste doing subjects that you wouldnt do if you were cloistered into doing them.

all that remains is for you to decide what to do with your time, and no one in their right mind would select doing surplus A lvls - just focus on the ones you wantto do instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohit0406)
    The exact thing I said not to post.
    It's stupid, indeed.

To answer to your question, it is only better to you personally. You'll learn more and know more, it will be helpful in long-term.

I did an equivalent of 5 A Levels in Year 13, and I think I got all As. I really think I should have done an equivalent of six if I had the right support, which I did not. Year 12 was sort of a bit loose (I did 6 AS then) where I could really mess things up and not mind, whereas Year 13 was much tougher and I didn't have any support to benefit from. If you think you have the support available, definitely do the 5 Levels with the Baccalaureate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurel-Aqua)
    It's stupid, indeed.

To answer to your question, it is only better to you personally.
    you mean there arent other things you want to learn outside A lvl syllabi that are worth your time more?
    thats not life worth living.

ReputationRep:
    to underline Dom's point, your time as a teenager wont ever come again.
    there will come a time when you regret not doing other things as at teen, because theres far too much to do as a teen to waste doing subjects that you wouldnt do if you were cloistered into doing them.

all that remains is for you to decide what to do with your time, and no one in their right mind would select doing surplus A lvls - just focus on the ones you wantto do instead.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I have no real intention of wasting my time doing all those subjects anyway if it won't help me significantly - thats just what I wanted to know really and I guess I knew the answer from the start, I just wanted confirmation.
    Well anyway thx guys for all the info.

ReputationRep:
    you mean there arent other things you want to learn outside A lvl syllabi that are worth your time more?
    thats not life worth living.
    You can both study a lot and have a social life as far as I know. It's just the perception some people have of 'doing many subjects'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurel-Aqua)
    You can both study a lot and have a social life as far as I know. It's just the perception some people have of 'doing many subjects'.

BUT its still time spent doing those subjects , isnt it? or it not? lol
    why choose to spend that time doping surplus studies when you could do other things - same point.

it isnt 'NOT TIME' that you spend studying, unless you are God.
    maybe you are a God, and you move outside time and space.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.