Turn on thread page Beta

Is 6 A levels overkill for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    BUT its still time spent doing those subjects , isnt it? or it not? lol
    why choose to spend that time doping surplus studies when you could do other things - same point.

it isnt 'NOT TIME' that you spend studying, unless you are God.
    maybe you are a God, and you move outside time and space.
    It's very subjective, really. Your reasoning could back up an argument "Why go to school if I can earn money already?", or any argument like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurel-Aqua)
    It's very subjective, really. Your reasoning could back up an argument "Why go to school if I can earn money already?", or any argument like that.
    hoiw is that subjective in this case?
    if you dont go to school you wont get grades to get into med school - period.

(bar home tutoring or teaching yourself o course)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    my friend did 7 a levels and got 7As
    it was a bit much but if you honestly think you can do all 6 then do it. if you think other grades will suffer then dont.
    simple.

ReputationRep:
    you'd advocate locking yourself in the bedroom for longer than you already are as 'simple'.

how so?

My friend did 10 A-Levels to get into Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: well of course 5As and WB are better than 3As and WB

but that is a lot of hard work, i would suggest dropping the two you are going to drop.

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of people that get in with 3 A-Levels, most hold 4, think that marks the end of this thread, work out the rest for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had a friend who did 6 A-levels and wanted to do medicine, was predicted (and proceeded to get) all A's and yet was still rejected from every uni he applied to. Think it's more on work experience than A-level results.

ReputationRep:
    I do 6 as well :dance:

Maths/chemistry/biology/physics/history/psychology
    A A/A* A A A A

ReputationRep:
    i think ive read before on a prospectus that it wouldn't disadvantage u

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing u wanna be a doc? wots so gd about bein a doc?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    wots so gd about bein a doc?!
    Nothing if medicine doesn't interest you in the slightest. That's a little vol-au-vent of advice for you right there

ReputationRep:
    If you're contemplating to drop a subject, I wouldn't regard the WBQ as a strong third/fourth choice, though it's equivalent to an A grade in terms of UCAS points, it's obvious it shouldn't replace one of your more strenuous subjects.

Personally, I think doing 4 Alevels and the WBQ, combined with a good personal statement is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    no.
    do 3 a levels, at most 4.

ReputationRep:
    Do it if you want, from the perspective of an academic challenge. I don't think the unis will care as long as you meet their academic requirements. From what I gather anything else isn't going to be a huge advantage.

But, since you want opinions; spending the time you would have spent on the extra subjects on extra-curricular activities/work exp/having a life (or more of a life) will probably be much better, both for yourself and your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    my friend did 7 a levels and got 7As
    it was a bit much but if you honestly think you can do all 6 then do it. if you think other grades will suffer then dont.
    simple.
    :yep: francescarella has it spot on! If you feel your grades would suffer to the point where you could miss your offer drop some. However, since your doing 6, I don't think missing AAB/AAA is really going to happen :p:

ReputationRep:
    that is just :facepalm2: SERIOUSLY

DROP THEM YOU IDIOT

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. You kind of need to be well balanced.. Don't feel under pressure to drop anything.

ReputationRep:
    you need 3 a-levels and 1 AS.

you don't want to do 6. take it from someone who did 4 and found it to be the biggest waste of time ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohit0406)
    Hi, I did 6 subjects in my AS - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
    I'm thinking of dropping further maths and physics, but just wondering if my application to medicine be any stronger if I carried on with physics and further maths. And please don't answer saying "do 3 A levels because 3As are better than 2As and 3Bs." I'm just asking if 5As + WB is better than 3As + WB. All the open days and stuff i visited said no - that I'm no better off with 5As as a pose to 3, just looking for another opinion.
    I'm sure they will know better than TSR !

I remember my head of year saying that having more than 3 Alevels will (should) not give you an advantage over candidates with three because some schools dont give the opportunity to do more than that. Thats why offers are never for more than 3 a levels. However, if for instance your offer was ABB and you had BBBB then they may still confirm your uni place because of the 4th alevel.

I did 4, but because I wanted to to learn them. I say continue the ones you enjoy x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.