The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x0hannah0x
I'm sure they will know better than TSR !

I remember my head of year saying that having more than 3 Alevels will (should) not give you an advantage over candidates with three because some schools dont give the opportunity to do more than that. Thats why offers are never for more than 3 a levels. However, if for instance your offer was ABB and you had BBBB then they may still confirm your uni place because of the 4th alevel.

I did 4, but because I wanted to to learn them. I say continue the ones you enjoy :smile: x

I can't speak for Oxford and Cambridge as I never applied to them, but Imperial actually make offers of AAAC for those offering 4 A Levels (and AAAb to the rest of us mere mortals :awesome: ).

I completely agree though: if you enjoy them all then go for it. However if you think 4 or more A Levels will make your application look better somehow, then (unless I'm being incredibly naive) all admissions criteria say otherwise.
Read this; from Oxfords website, I'm sure similar will apply to most.

Should I take more than three A-levels?

All courses at Oxford are very competitive, and offers are likely to be for three A grades at A-Level. Some candidates take a fourth or even fifth subject, as this can be one way of demonstrating the academic abilities that will be required for the intense studying of an Oxford degree.
However, taking extra A-Levels is certainly not the only way to demonstrate your abilities. Tutors would prefer a candidate who has read around their subject beyond their school or college work, and who shows a great passion for their subject, over a candidate who may have taken more subjects, but who is not able to discuss their interests with any enthusiasm or in any depth.

We also advise candidates not to spread themselves too thinly across too many subjects, where they may risk dropping a grade or two in their results. Three A grades would be sufficient to meet most conditional offers, but two As and two Bs would not.
I'd stick to three and work on other activities to do in your spare time. Personal statement? Come on, show charisma, and reinforce why you want to do med! Volunteer etc. Its not JUST grades that count.

Latest

Trending

Trending