Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, was hoping for some advice or ideas please... I started a student bank account in RBS last Tuesday, and the person who was starting my account told me that I'd been accepted, that my account was open and that the £1,250 overdraft that students with this account are eligible for would be in the bank on Monday.

She actually said "Yes, it's basically an overnight thing, it will be in by the start of the week."

Now, I am going to University in another city, and I don't have any money at all, so I was depending on this and I booked halls in Uni.. since I had absolute word that my overdraft would be in.

I went into the bank today and they told me that my overdraft had been denied and I'd have to actually wait until the 15th September.

I was relying on this, without it I can't go to Uni, and they had given their word that it would be in. Since they had actually confirmed it would be in, do you think there is something I can do?

They knew the situation (my parents had explained that I needed money to move out prior to University starting when they was shopping around for student accounts for me, that's when RBS said come to us).

Any opinions/advice please? thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Hi, was hoping for some advice or ideas please... I started a student bank account in RBS last Tuesday, and the person who was starting my account told me that I'd been accepted, that my account was open and that the £1,250 overdraft that students with this account are eligible for would be in the bank on Monday.

She actually said "Yes, it's basically an overnight thing, it will be in by the start of the week."

Now, I am going to University in another city, and I don't have any money at all, so I was depending on this and I booked halls in Uni.. since I had absolute word that my overdraft would be in.

I went into the bank today and they told me that my overdraft had been denied and I'd have to actually wait until the 15th September.

I was relying on this, without it I can't go to Uni, and they had given their word that it would be in. Since they had actually confirmed it would be in, do you think there is something I can do?

They knew the situation (my parents had explained that I needed money to move out prior to University starting when they was shopping around for student accounts for me, that's when RBS said come to us).

Any opinions/advice please? thank you
    Well, you're not technically a student until uni starts, so I can see why this has happened.

Also, perhaps it was denied because you never funded your account? As far as I know, you need to put £100 into your bank account and leave it overnight for the overdraft to be activated. Maybe you left it too late to do this (or you weren't told) and it was cancelled or denied for that reason.

Hmm. Try another bank, though. Perhaps the Bank Of Scotland. Although I don't think anywhere else will give you anywhere near £1,250 in your first year. I'm in third year, mine increases on a yearly basis. Starts at £500, then £1,000, then £1,750.

ReputationRep:
    Their brochure and the person who opened it for me said as long as you have a conditional or unconditional offer your student account is activated and also that the overdraft is £1,250.

I also asked if I need any money to activate my account and she said not at all.

I understand that I'm not literally a student until I walk into the halls, but in that case why did the bank confirm that I would get it on Monday when they knew my situation? Do you think I'll be able to use that against them in order to get it early (haha)?

Thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    You've misunderstood their terms and conditions. Particularly about when an overdraft is accessible. I doubt you'll get anything out of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Their brochure and the person who opened it for me said as long as you have a conditional or unconditional offer your student account is activated and also that the overdraft is £1,250.

I also asked if I need any money to activate my account and she said not at all.

I understand that I'm not literally a student until I walk into the halls, but in that case why did the bank confirm that I would get it on Monday when they knew my situation? Do you think I'll be able to use that against them in order to get it early (haha)?

Thanks for replying.
    Ring them up and explain the situation, they may be nice about it and give you the overdraft, do you have the name of the person who told you that it would be available overnight? Quote the brochure at them and ask THEM why you don't have it.

ReputationRep:
    But surely you don't start uni till around the 20th anyway so you'll be fine? No?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll ring them up and see what I can do

ReputationRep:
    When I changed my current account at RBS to a student one, the person that did it for me said that I could qualify for the debit card and extras etc right then (this was last august) but I'd have to wait until I'd officially registered at uni before I could apply for the overdraft. Hence I didn't get an overdraft until November (due to stupid mix ups). For me, this was more of an annoyance that I had to keep pestering them as I didn't need to have it, I just wanted the overdraft as back up.

I would try NatWest as most people at uni I know have their account with them, and they all had their overdrafts right from the beginning.

But, as others have said, surely your accomodation payments don't go out until end of september, giving you time to have an overdraft set up? What about your student loan, would that not cover the accomodation just to start with?

ReputationRep:
    Natwest and RBS are the same, so I wouldn't try Natwest.

My boyfriend has just opened an RBS account, but he's going into his second year, so he has his overdraft now. In the booklet, it says the earliest a first year will receive it is August 20th, although it will usually be a bit later.

Let us know how you get on on the phone, she should have told you this, so they should give you maybe a smaller overdraft at a low interest level?

ReputationRep:
    yasmeen... i suggest u call RBS and explain your situation .... if not, see if ur parents can help u out in this situation and give them the money later in the year. i am sure things will work out

ReputationRep:
    I'm with RBS. They don't activate your overdraft until you have your unconditional letter from UCAS. That was definitely the situation last year and will be this year too. I can see why, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Controversial - thanks, I didn't have any information about August 20th, thanks for that I did call them and they said they'll try again and that the person who opened my account was actually wrong.. so I hope it goes well

FAILINGKID - thanks for your suggestion, enta masry ?

Charlski.. aha, thank you I think that might be whats wrong then

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm doing a survey about student accounts and would love some feedback, it will take 2 seconds!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2VZ7BPM

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.