Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I apologise in advance for this being fairly long, but I'd ideally like some of these points cleared up so I can feel confident about applying to UEA next year...

Question 1) Obviously your course isn't structured into "anatomy", "pharmacology" etc., but from your understanding of what "anatomy" refers to in the more traditional courses, would you say you do a fair amount of it at UEA? I ask because I'm currently leaning more towards the surgery route than medical, and I imagine a decent understanding of anatomy is fairly important. :p:

Question 2) Is there any accomodation that seems to be favoured by the medics? Eg. is there a disproportionately large concentration of medics in one building, as opposed to spread evenly across all available accomodation?

Question 3) Here's the long, potentially unanswerable one, so feel free to ignore it in your replies if you can't be bothered with it. Can you give me an outline of what you would consider a fairly "standard week" at UEA? As in, contact hours, amount of independent study, what times your lectures run from/until etc. I understand this probably varies wildly between years, but even a vague outline would help.

And finally, Question 4) Overall, would you say you're being prepared for life as a doctor just as well as in some of the more traditional courses? I ask because UEA is by far my favourite university; the campus fits my "style" down to the ground, and I think I would enjoy the "university experience" much more than at somewhere like Oxbridge or the London universitites. However, to me the university life comes second to the quality of the course itself, and I wouldn't want to be put at a disadvantage in later life - no matter how small - by choosing UEA over a more established uni.

Thanks guys, sorry it was a bit on the large side, but this isn't a decision I'm planning on making lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houseelf)
    Ok, I apologise in advance for this being fairly long, but I'd ideally like some of these points cleared up so I can feel confident about applying to UEA next year...

Question 1) Obviously your course isn't structured into "anatomy", "pharmacology" etc., but from your understanding of what "anatomy" refers to in the more traditional courses, would you say you do a fair amount of it at UEA? I ask because I'm currently leaning more towards the surgery route than medical, and I imagine a decent understanding of anatomy is fairly important.

Question 2) Is there any accomodation that seems to be favoured by the medics? Eg. is there a disproportionately large concentration of medics in one building, as opposed to spread evenly across all available accomodation?

Question 3) Here's the long, potentially unanswerable one, so feel free to ignore it in your replies if you can't be bothered with it. Can you give me an outline of what you would consider a fairly "standard week" at UEA? As in, contact hours, amount of independent study, what times your lectures run from/until etc. I understand this probably varies wildly between years, but even a vague outline would help.

And finally, Question 4) Overall, would you say you're being prepared for life as a doctor just as well as in some of the more traditional courses? I ask because UEA is by far my favourite university; the campus fits my "style" down to the ground, and I think I would enjoy the "university experience" much more than at somewhere like Oxbridge or the London universitites. However, to me the university life comes second to the quality of the course itself, and I wouldn't want to be put at a disadvantage in later life - no matter how small - by choosing UEA over a more established uni.

Thanks guys, sorry it was a bit on the large side, but this isn't a decision I'm planning on making lightly.
    I'll be going into 4th year at UEA in September, so I'll try to answer some of your questions (I know of one other UEA medic on this forum but haven't seen them around for a while)

1) Our anatomy teaching involves time in the dissection room (everyone who wants an opportunity to dissect is able to but we don't do full body dissection like some other places). For each unit, 2 of each PBL group dissect the relevant part of the body then teach the rest of the group the anatomy of that area. This is supported by lectures and individual study. We don't do as much anatomy as more traditional courses and some people do think we don't do enough.

2) There seems to a fairly even distribution of medics across all the different accommodations as well as plenty who live off campus as well. If anything, more live on campus than in the university village (but there is a lot more accommodation on campus).

3) Here's an example timetable for year 1 unit 1 (it's fairly representative of how each week is split up though exact numbers of lectures/seminars and the arrangement of the days does vary.

4) Personally I think UEA prepares you very well. There has been good feedback from doctors working with people who have graduated from this course and a lot of the people I've talked to who have now graduated say they felt they were well prepared. I like that this course is different from the more traditional ones and really don't think I would have stayed on the course if I'd had the pre-clin/clin divide. UEA does have it's disadvantages (as every medical school does) but in general I love it here.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about UEA (however long they are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I'll be going into 4th year at UEA in September, so I'll try to answer some of your questions (I know of one other UEA medic on this forum but haven't seen them around for a while)

1) Our anatomy teaching involves time in the dissection room (everyone who wants an opportunity to dissect is able to but we don't do full body dissection like some other places). For each unit, 2 of each PBL group dissect the relevant part of the body then teach the rest of the group the anatomy of that area. This is supported by lectures and individual study. We don't do as much anatomy as more traditional courses and some people do think we don't do enough.

2) There seems to a fairly even distribution of medics across all the different accommodations as well as plenty who live off campus as well. If anything, more live on campus than in the university village (but there is a lot more accommodation on campus).

3) Here's an example timetable for year 1 unit 1 (it's fairly representative of how each week is split up though exact numbers of lectures/seminars and the arrangement of the days does vary.

4) Personally I think UEA prepares you very well. There has been good feedback from doctors working with people who have graduated from this course and a lot of the people I've talked to who have now graduated say they felt they were well prepared. I like that this course is different from the more traditional ones and really don't think I would have stayed on the course if I'd had the pre-clin/clin divide. UEA does have it's disadvantages (as every medical school does) but in general I love it here.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about UEA (however long they are).
    Thanks, that was definitely helpful. Just a few follow-up questions:

1) You say that 2 people out of each PBL group carry out the dissection for each unit. How are these 2 places allocated? Eg. if I ended up in a group with 2 particularly loud students who both always wanted to do dissection, being a quieter (albeit not averse to putting myself out there when necessary) person, would it be possible for me to potentially go through the course having had barely any hands-on experience of dissection? And do you feel this would severely hinder any future application for a surgical post after graduation?

2) Ok, thanks.

3) Very helpful table, thanks a lot. One question though, does this "9-4:30" trend that I'm seeing on the table continue through the entire 5 years of the course, or do later years tend to work later into the afternoon/earlier in the mornings?

4) Sounds good. How would you rate the quality of the lecturers? I know a goodportion of the course is independent study, but I find it /very/ difficult to enjoy a course if the lecturers aren't up to my (admittedly high) standards.

Think that's all for now, thanks a lot for all the advice so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houseelf)
    Thanks, that was definitely helpful. Just a few follow-up questions:

1) You say that 2 people out of each PBL group carry out the dissection for each unit. How are these 2 places allocated? Eg. if I ended up in a group with 2 particularly loud students who both always wanted to do dissection, being a quieter (albeit not averse to putting myself out there when necessary) person, would it be possible for me to potentially go through the course having had barely any hands-on experience of dissection? And do you feel this would severely hinder any future application for a surgical post after graduation?

2) Ok, thanks.

3) Very helpful table, thanks a lot. One question though, does this "9-4:30" trend that I'm seeing on the table continue through the entire 5 years of the course, or do later years tend to work later into the afternoon/earlier in the mornings?

4) Sounds good. How would you rate the quality of the lecturers? I know a goodportion of the course is independent study, but I find it /very/ difficult to enjoy a course if the lecturers aren't up to my (admittedly high) standards.

Think that's all for now, thanks a lot for all the advice so far.
    1) In my first year, no one did dissection in unit 1 but for unit 2 we were asked who wanted to do it then names were picked out of a hat for our group - other groups may have done it differently. In 2nd and 3rd year, everyone who wanted to do dissection was told to e-mail the anatomy lecturer/his assistant before the end of the year before and then PBL groups were assigned so that there were 2 students per unit per PBL group so no risk of quieter students not having the opportunity.

3) 9-4.30/5 does continue pretty much throughout the lecture/seminar weeks of the course with occasional slightly earlier starts or slightly later finishes. When on placement the hours are slightly different, and depending on where the placement is, days can be a lot longer (though a lot more variable as well).

4) The quality of lecturers is very variable - some of them are brilliant and some not so good, but you quickly learn which ones to turn up to and which to just read the lecture notes from :p: (Previously, lectures and seminars haven't been compulsory but this may be changing) You are asked to provide feedback as you go along if there are any lecturers who are particularly bad so the university is aware of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    1) In my first year, no one did dissection in unit 1 but for unit 2 we were asked who wanted to do it then names were picked out of a hat for our group - other groups may have done it differently. In 2nd and 3rd year, everyone who wanted to do dissection was told to e-mail the anatomy lecturer/his assistant before the end of the year before and then PBL groups were assigned so that there were 2 students per unit per PBL group so no risk of quieter students not having the opportunity.

3) 9-4.30/5 does continue pretty much throughout the lecture/seminar weeks of the course with occasional slightly earlier starts or slightly later finishes. When on placement the hours are slightly different, and depending on where the placement is, days can be a lot longer (though a lot more variable as well).

4) The quality of lecturers is very variable - some of them are brilliant and some not so good, but you quickly learn which ones to turn up to and which to just read the lecture notes from :p: (Previously, lectures and seminars haven't been compulsory but this may be changing) You are asked to provide feedback as you go along if there are any lecturers who are particularly bad so the university is aware of them.
    1) Ah, seems fair enough. Looks like I'll end up missing out on dissection for the 1st year, judging by my luck. Cards, hats, coins...they all hate me. :p: Hopefully my patients are more accepting.

3) Great, thanks.

4) Lecture notes, that was gonna be my next question. Ok, doesn't sound too bad at all.

Think that's it for now, thanks for everything so far.
    Josh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.