Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    OK, I've just started a job with Sports Direct, and after 5 shifts I've decided its not for me, especially as I've been called into work when I've not been due in and I've basically been yelled at for not coming into work even though I had booked holiday dates off - basically, I'm not being treated that well. Also, the pay is crap (min wage) for the teeny amount of hours I do (4-5), so I'm not earning as much money as I want to. Kinda defeats the purpose in getting a new job so I can give up my other job (paper round) to do this one, as I'm earning more with that, and I don't have to travel 10 miles to work, which takes an hour on the bus. Its just after 3 years I want a change and a job that will help me get another job while at uni. On top of it all, went in yesterday, asked for extra shifts, and I was told I'm "not allowed" which is just stupid! And for some other stupid reason, I'm not on the staff rota - everyone else is, but I'm not, so its really making me feel that I'm not wanted....and I still haven't been paid for last month's work.

So, crunch time. I've got an interview for Schuh at the end of the month, but I honestly don't want to keep going with the Sports Direct job until then. I still have the paper round (thank god I haven't given it up), and I've applied for about 3 jobs in the last week, got the Schuh interview as I said, still waiting on the others. I'm going to be ringing up other stores closer to me (M&S Simply Food, Pizza Express and Starbucks) this week too.

So, taken a long time to get to this bit (sorry), but do I give in my letter of resignation to Sports Direct this week (only need one days notice, and will I still get paid for the work I've done?) or wait until the Schuh interview? I've been getting very stressed and down because of this job, its adding unnecessarily to other more important things on my mind, and I just don't feel its worth it. Just really unsure as to resigning, as doing 5 shifts over 3 weeks is going to look really bad when I apply for other jobs..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Eh going in to ask for the extra shifts thing is a bit odd. Most companies are desperately slashing hours with people on their contract minimum. Unless you know for sure that your company does not have a wage budget problem, I'd avoid doing this. Casually mentioning that you're availble if someone has rang in sick for the week or if your shift is something like 4-8 say you can come in earlier. But don't push it. In my job, it can take 1-2 weeks for a new person to be inputted to the rosters. Mention that one to HR. I think you're expecting a little bit too much. Brand new staff usually get the short end of the stick as regards holidays/days off especially as you haven't worked enough to earn paid holidays etc. You need to enquire about the pay, is it a paid monthly job? When does everyone else get paid? Are you on backweek/(backmonth?) Try and work until a few days before the interview, at least give it another week I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be stay at Sports Direct if you plan to use them as a reference.

If you are not using them for a reference and can live off the money you get from your paper round then leave Sports Direct. Hand your notice in, work the required period and then leave.

ReputationRep:
    With the extra shifts, I asked because half the people who were at the induction have resigned, so there are more hours available, and as I'm doing nothing this week I would've liked to earn a bit more money. Not happening though. Thing is, the store manager is NEVER in, so who do I casually mention this to? There are no supervisors, no assistant manager, no nothing!We're supposedly meant to be paid on the last working day of each month, and everyone is on minimum wage according to their age.

I don't really know if I want to use them as a reference...the store manager has hardly been in, so he's not exactly going to know who I am - hell, the store's been open 3 weeks and the guy's been on holiday since last week, not exactly great business acumen there...and there are 2 other Callums (I have the one L (correct ) spelling), on the two shifts he was actually in he kept thinking I was one of the other 2...and he keeps spelling my name wrong the divvy. Thing is, I can put down I have worked for them from July to August 2009 can't I? Plus, and I feel this is more important, I now have experience of working in retail and using tills, stock checking etc. which I can put on my CV. But do I really have to use them as a reference?

Also, I've been chatting to other people, friends and more, and they feel I should resign ASAP. Their points have been that I'm really not enjoying it, and as I'm only earning £12 per shift, and not getting given any shifts at the moment as for some mental reason I've not been put onto the rota, which shouldn't be happening.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel Calum!

I started at my local Sports Direct at the end of June, and it's absolutely crap! It's the worst job i could ever have imagined, but it'll have to do until i can find something else!

I've only got 3 hours this week - how do they expect anyone to live on the wages that 3 hours gives you, i really do not know? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Woo Sports Direct employees in arms! Hey How they expect anyone to live on 0 hours I seriously do not know lol

What I'm going to do is ring up the few stores I haven't tried (which is 2...damn lol, I have rung every other store I deem fit to work in (so obv not lingerie or ladieswear only stores lol) in my local town (well, its also 10 miles away but its easier to get to as there's more buses to there ), all I know for definate is I'm going to blitz my Schuh interview, right now I feel like I will actually grovel to them for the job lol On the other hand....as I'm not due to work any shifts this weekend, for whatever crappy reason they can think of, it means I'll have lasted another week so it'll look better when I go for other jobs...god this is meffing me up...

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, thanks for your help guys, but I went and resigned today!!! Freeeeedddooommmm!!!!!! And I'm soooo lucky, got home, phone rang, and I've now got an interview for a weekend job at my closer to home and easier to get to Burton store wooooo!!!!! Handing in CVs to stores really DOES work!!!! Thanks all

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.