Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to break up with her... Watch

Me and my girlfriend agreed to break up in person. We've been toghether for about 8 months now.

The reason we're breaking up is because I told my girlfriend that she makes me feel crap sometimes because of the things she says in a sarcastic way.

Now ever since then, we haven't contacted each other (Thursday). The reason I'm guessing she hasn't contacted me is because she's thinking that if she makes me feel crap, there's no reason for us to continue going out, let alone being friends.

The reason I haven't contacted her is because of the way she reacted. She gave me a whole lecture on myself and instead of asking "How?" or "I'm sorry if I make you feel like that", she was horrible!

So after 3 days of not contacting each other (we usually talk everyday). I'm guessing its a break-up situation. Added to the fact that she's now started deleting pictures of us two toghether on fb.

I don't mind breaking up with her...I mean I still love her but it just isn't working! However...I've tried in the past and it just doesn't work! We always have some sort of passionate kiss randomly or just talk it out. It's weird meeting up just to break up.

So I'm asking...should I talk to her over the phone about it? I think if we meet up...we won't break up. Also I'm not sure whether I should call her since she doesn't seem to want to talk to me (ever again).

Hmmm...so confused! Appreciate any help

The first sentance should say "we always said we would break up in person, never over the phone or text or internet"

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her first. Properly.
    There's no point chucking 8 months down the drain over something which could (possibly) be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a pretty small reason to drop an 8 month relationship on...is that the only issue?

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would do it to her face, breaking up with someone via the phone is a cowards way out. Should just strap on a pair and tell them. Dont talk your way back into it, willpower, if you know ts the right thing to do. "Stick to your guns" as they say.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just ring her and arrange to meet her, then just go through with it and break it up. You said yourself it isn't working, so unless you and her really want to stay together and make things work then the best thing is to end it.

To be honest, the issue is quite big seeing that I've never ever brought it up before.

I told her she makes me feel like a piece of crap sometimes. I did say sometimes...but its true it happens quite often. Whenever she's in a bad mood she'll take it out on me.

I explained this all to her and was hoping for her to say "I'm sorry, I didn't know you felt like that. I'll try and stop." Or something. But she didn't...she just went off on one. Not understanding at all.

I just kinda realised that she's like that. I think she's realised it too to be honest.

(Original post by Lessthanzero)
    If I was you I would do it to her face, breaking up with someone via the phone is a cowards way out. Should just strap on a pair and tell them. Dont talk your way back into it, willpower, if you know ts the right thing to do. "Stick to your guns" as they say.
    So where would you meet up? I've always broken up over the phone or in an argument in real life haha.

I mean the thing is...I'm trying to work out what do we talk about after we break up?! Do we just say bye and walk off? What if she keeps talking? Do I be nice about the whole thing?

I don't really want to upset her...but I'm guessing I'm going to have to pretend that I don't care AT ALL in order to go through with it...

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to get back together with her, and you feel that telling her in person won't suffice (as you won't actually break up) then; yes, tell her over the phone. It'll make you look cowardly, but if you think it's the only way then do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So where would you meet up? I've always broken up over the phone or in an argument in real life haha.

I mean the thing is...I'm trying to work out what do we talk about after we break up?! Do we just say bye and walk off? What if she keeps talking? Do I be nice about the whole thing?

I don't really want to upset her...but I'm guessing I'm going to have to pretend that I don't care AT ALL in order to go through with it...
    Cant tell you where to meet up, ive always been on the recieving end of being ditched. Being cut out or over the phone is bull it makes you feel like rubbish. Face to face is better gives more closure. And pretending you dont care is the worst thing you could do, not unless you want the other person to totaly hate you.

ReputationRep:
    post-it note

Do you know what is really annoying? I promised myself on thursday, not to call her until she called me (she calls me pretty much everyday). And she didn't call me!

So I don't really want to call her...can't I just wait for her to call me? I could just go out today and forget about it...wouldn't be on my mind at all.

i dumped my gf on the fone by a text saying that she was horrible etc etc I wont really advise you to do it but desperate moments call for desperate measures .

ReputationRep:
    meet up with her & talk to her

ReputationRep:
    Two words:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...r_1418175c.jpg
    You're fired

And thats how you break up with someone like a pro

(a letter or email would be a bit more dignified than a phone call if you can't bring yourself to do it face-to-face.)

ReputationRep:
    Meeting up maybe in a cafe or somehwere very public which would prevent you from having a kiss or something would be the best bet. Don't contact her though if shes in the wrong I think. My last gf dumped me over MSN, and when I said at least call me she was like 'ok but I cant be long I've got work 2moro' which further confirmed she was an idiot. My point is it shows such a lack of respect to someone who you care for by breaking up with them via Phone, MSN etc.

(Original post by Footballfiend08)
    Meeting up maybe in a cafe or somehwere very public which would prevent you from having a kiss or something would be the best bet. Don't contact her though if shes in the wrong I think. My last gf dumped me over MSN, and when I said at least call me she was like 'ok but I cant be long I've got work 2moro' which further confirmed she was an idiot. My point is it shows such a lack of respect to someone who you care for by breaking up with them via Phone, MSN etc.
    Right I just called her, got a whole "I'm busy" reply. She isn't actually lying...I know she's busy with some stuff she's got to sort out.

I'm guessing I should wait for a phonecall now, in the meantime just sit tight and relax, getting used to life without her...

ReputationRep:
    The first sentance should say "we always said we would break up in person, never over the phone or text or internet"
    Don't suppose she has a fax machine?

ReputationRep:
    Right I just called her, got a whole "I'm busy" reply. She isn't actually lying...I know she's busy with some stuff she's got to sort out.

I'm guessing I should wait for a phonecall now, in the meantime just sit tight and relax, getting used to life without her...
    Yeah, you have attempted to contact her. Now you just gotta wait. Dont worry though:
    1.Plenty more fish in the sea
    2. You'll find someone who doesnt annoy you and is more willing to listen to your concerns about the relationship
    3. Save money on phonebill :p:
    4. You'll be able to take time to think about what type of girl that you want, which will enable you to go for girls you are most compatible with, which should help you be happier in the future.

Chin up Mate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Leave a message on her voice mail. That'll teach her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.