Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anonymous.

I'm a girl and I'm 17. I've got a guy friend who I'm pretty close to.

Last year we tried dating for a short while, not even long enough to call a releationship, but it ended badly and he was pretty immature about it. After that, when things didn't go his way (in other words, rejected by another girl) he came crawling back to me asking to try it again. I said no and I've realised that I didn't really like him in the first place.

The feelings I was feeling were, and still are, just the same as you would feel for a best friend. A year on, I've been making excuses constantly as he keeps asking to try again. I want to remain friends as I do care about him. I just don't want a releationship.

We haven't met in person since school broke up so we both aranged to meet up tomorrow. He then told me that hes lookig forward to our 'date.' I questioned it, thinking he was only messing about and it turns out he was being serious. I've told him no, its not a date and we're just meeting up as we would normally but he says even if I don't see it as a date, he still does.

This makes me feel very akward - I don't want a releationship with him and that means no dates! He constantly reminds me that he hates the fact he messed up what we had and wants another chance but I don't.

How can I get through to him?

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you found someone else.

I just want to make it clear: I don't want to stop having him as a friend all together.

(Original post by BossManSingh)
    Tell him you found someone else.
    Easier said than done. We're close mates - hes going to want to meet this 'guy' etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just want to make it clear: I don't want to stop having him as a friend all together.
    If im being honest,in a situation such as the one you are in. This is definately a possible outcome

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him that you like him as a friend and don't wanna lose your friendship but you're not interested in a relationship with him as you've been knowing each other for such a long time it would be so weird. He needs to understand you're not the rebound girl he can ask out when he's low and throw when he meets someone else.

Hmm. Okay, thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe don't meet him this time? He'll get the hint eventually.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.