Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i come from a school where they expect you to go to uni.

all the 'usual' unis people go off to are places like exeter, bristol, durham, york, ucl, lse, oxbridge... all the typical trad good unis...

but i was searching around and saw that times uni guide says Aberystwyth is good for geography (what i want to study)

i'd never heard of this uni till now... why? has it got a secret dark side i dont know about...?! is it really a good uni or is that the league table lying? does it have a good repuatation for employers? ive looked at the prospectus and it looks amazing!

any info would be amazing!

ReputationRep:
    i dont know bout geo but ma sister went there to do law and i went there wen she graduated and it looked like a nice place

ReputationRep:
    Aberystwyth isn't a bad uni, it at 46 on the Times uni rankings if that matters to you, so certainly not at the bottom. The reason I've personally never considered it is because it's Wales, I just wouldn't want to live there...and also I've never heard anyone rave about it or say it's really good for subject x. I guess it's an average uni, possibly somewhere locals go more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fantastic uni. i haven't studied there myself but i know people who are there.

location location location :grin:

ReputationRep:
    My Brother visited there, and reliably informed me it's in the absolute middle of nowhere, which is probably the reason why it's not as well-known as other Universities of a similar stature

ReputationRep:
    i went to aber on a visit day, and i also turned it into a night out so i could check out the full student experience. in that one night, i went to every single club in aber - and the place is so isolated that those would be the only clubs i would go to for three years. 15 miles away from getting there, i couldnt get radio one on the car radio. the place is so small that the population of aber increases by approximately a third during term time due to students attending the uni.

i think that its a very different student experience than the average university, and although not nessecarily a bad thing for most people (it ranks very highly on student satisfaction), i prob would have prefered to get raped than spend three years of my life there.

i cant advise you enough to attend a visit day if you plan to go there.. you may fall in love with it and find that its for you, or you may have avoided making a huge mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmski)
    i went to aber on a visit day, and i also turned it into a night out so i could check out the full student experience. in that one night, i went to every single club in aber - and the place is so isolated that those would be the only clubs i would go to for three years. 15 miles away from getting there, i couldnt get radio one on the car radio. the place is so small that the population of aber increases by approximately a third during term time due to students attending the uni.

i think that its a very different student experience than the average university, and although not nessecarily a bad thing for most people (it ranks very highly on student satisfaction), i prob would have prefered to get raped than spend three years of my life there.

i cant advise you enough to attend a visit day if you plan to go there.. you may fall in love with it and find that its for you, or you may have avoided making a huge mistake.
    :curious:

It's in the middle of nowhere but it's very outdoor related. lots of things to do though :grin:

It's much more relaxed than most unis. Aber itself it lovely. But it think it's down to preference. If you want a city atmosphere, don't go to Aberystwyth.

ReputationRep:
    Er, I fail to see why the majority of people replying are people who have visited. Yes, you can clearly give a great idea of what it's like from a day there ¬_¬

I've been there for the last 2 years and it's a fantastic place to study. Yes, the town is small, and is for the majority students, but that is the best thing about it. Everywhere you go you see somewhere you know. The nightlife is purely students for the most part so it's generally very safe and you can relax without worrying about it being ruined by idiots.

It's hardly the middle of nowhere, you just need to remember it's a seaside town in Wales, not a city ffs. Anyway, it's just overall a brilliant place to study in terms of location and people. Couldn't recommend it more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsphyxiateD)
    Er, I fail to see why the majority of people replying are people who have visited. Yes, you can clearly give a great idea of what it's like from a day there ¬_¬

I've been there for the last 2 years and it's a fantastic place to study. Yes, the town is small, and is for the majority students, but that is the best thing about it. Everywhere you go you see somewhere you know. The nightlife is purely students for the most part so it's generally very safe and you can relax without worrying about it being ruined by idiots.

It's hardly the middle of nowhere, you just need to remember it's a seaside town in Wales, not a city ffs. Anyway, it's just overall a brilliant place to study in terms of location and people. Couldn't recommend it more.
    This. I've yet to visit Aber (I'm still in France; coming back to the UK tomorrow!), but from everything I've read and the photos I've seen... it just looks ace. I'm not too into the huge city thing. I don't like being utterly secluded either, but, for me, Aber is a balance of the two. I know, I've not been there, but I feel like I've done quite a lot of research about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Aberystwyth isn't a bad uni, it at 46 on the Times uni rankings if that matters to you, so certainly not at the bottom. The reason I've personally never considered it is because it's Wales, I just wouldn't want to live there...and also I've never heard anyone rave about it or say it's really good for subject x. I guess it's an average uni, possibly somewhere locals go more than anything.
    Here we go again with the rankings tables again. Look at the stats that matter.

Allow me to provide you with two key points of interest. Firstly, Aber has very high student satisfaction. Secondly, (and this is where the rankings table is actually useful) Aber has surprisingly poor graduate prospects; they have the second worst percentage (53%) in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Here we go again with the rankings tables again. Look at the stats that matter.

Allow me to provide you with two key points of interest. Firstly, Aber has very high student satisfaction. Secondly, (and this is where the rankings table is actually useful) Aber has surprisingly poor graduate prospects; they have the second worst percentage (53%) in the country.
    Which is why I said "if that matters to you", because it doesn't matter to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Which is why I said "if that matters to you", because it doesn't matter to me.
    You're not really my type, but why the hell not. Sure, I'll go out with you. PM me your details and we'll set something up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    You're not really my type, but why the hell not. Sure, I'll go out with you. PM me your details and we'll set something up.
    You think you'd be my type! Yeesh.

ReputationRep:
    How does that work then? Sounds flawed, because according to the website:

(Original post by http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/careers/graduateopportunities/)
    For those UK-domiciled first degree students who graduated in June 2006, 90% of those available for work secured employment and/or postgraduate study/research places within six months of graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    How does that work then? Sounds flawed, because according to the website:
    The graduate employment stat is, I believe, based on whether or not the graduates secured graduate level employment or post graduate study after graduation. Perhaps that's how they're spinning the figures.

ReputationRep:
    Found this:

Graduate Prospects
    What is it? A measure of the employability of a university's graduates.

Where does it come from? HESA data for 2006–07. 

How does it work? The number of graduates who take up employment or further study divided by the total number of graduates with a known destination expressed as a percentage. Only employment in an area that normally recruits graduates was included. The results were then adjusted to take account of the subject mix at the university.

What should you look out for? A relatively low score on this measure does not mean that many graduates were unemployed. It may be that some had low-level jobs such as shop assistants, which do not normally recruit graduates. Some universities recruit a high proportion of local students. If they are located in an area where graduate jobs are hard to come by, this can depress the outcome. A measure of the employability of graduates has been included in the HEFCE performance indicators but this is only available at institution level. The HESA data was used so that a subject-mix adjustment could be made.
    Considering Aber's other standards, it's probably got a bit more to do with the region it's in, rather than the quality of the degrees (as seen by grad employers). If people were more willing to relocate further around the UK, they might probably have better chances at grad jobs. Probably one of those cases where there's more to a statistic than meets the eye. I'd guess that it's more indicative of the local population not willing to make that relocation, thus staying in an area where there aren't as many grad jobs as in a larger town or city. It's their life, I guess.

because you wanna party with inbreds?

**** the statistics about how good they are, go somewhere you will like and enjoy
    its your life to live once

ReputationRep:
    I think its more important to look at how well your department ranks nationally than the entire university. Like for politics, geography and agriculture Aberystwyth ranks very highly in these areas.

The area is great if you enjoy country sports e.g. shooting and horse riding , outdoor sports like sailing etc. Cheap alcohol, a compact town, beach and lowest crime rate of any university add to the list of attractions for me.

shooting?
    tally ho green barbour coats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmski)

Why did you apply there if you hated it so much? Or did you apply before you visited?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.