Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Prince Charles went there.

ReputationRep:
    If you like Aber you should apply and check out Bangor too, they are fairly similar unis in terms of locations.

ReputationRep:
    Except Bangor sucks.

OHSNAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxmjam)
    Why did you apply there if you hated it so much? Or did you apply before you visited?
    i went to a departmental visit day after i had applied.

ReputationRep:
    cool really helpful everyone thanks... ive booked my train tickets for the open day so we shall see! and i love outdoors and sport so liked the idea of the hills, mountains and sea being nearby. and i prefer pubs to clubs so its all good. only thing is the graduate employment thing, i guess ill speak to them about that when i get there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accelerate5)
    only thing is the graduate employment thing, i guess ill speak to them about that when i get there...
    Well that largely depends where you're going/willing to go after you graduate.. If you want to stay in aber/surrounding area then you may struggle for a graduate-level job, but if you're going back to a big city then you shouldn't be any worse off than people that went to uni elsewhere, assuming you end up with a decent degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    Well that largely depends where you're going/willing to go after you graduate.. If you want to stay in aber/surrounding area then you may struggle for a graduate-level job, but if you're going back to a big city then you shouldn't be any worse off than people that went to uni elsewhere, assuming you end up with a decent degree!

oh cool that sounds like good news then! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Why Aberystwyth indeed. It's a question I ask myself daily.

Naw, it's honestly not that bad. Everyone (who isn't me) absolutely adores the place. I tolerate it. I'm very used to big cities and urban areas so if you're at home in the hustle and bustle it might not be the greatest place to go for university. There's very few shops and as a bonafide shopaholic (£200 on boots in the last week, pshyeah) I find this to be the worst factor in the town. And I'm really not a fan of the nightlife, especially now they shut The Bay which was the best place to end up when you're hammered and fancy dancing to whatever cheesy nonsense they've decided to play.

tl;dr - it's an alright place as long as you can hack not having a huge amount to do all the time

ReputationRep:
    How is Aber for the club experience now? I prefer pubs and all but it's nice to have the choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    How is Aber for the club experience now? I prefer pubs and all but it's nice to have the choice.
    There's two, pretty small, clubs: Yokos and Pier Pressure

ReputationRep:
    but i think there are over 50 pubs :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's tons of bars/pubs, just not many clubs

ReputationRep:
    Yes, doesnt it the town to have the most pubs per person in the country?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't surprise me,
    I know it's got the most books per person in the country (or possibly the world?) because of the National Library Of Wales/the various uni libraries

ReputationRep:
    My first choice was originally Swansea. After visiting all the ones I applied to, I fell in love with Aber and re-shuffled my preferences. The size of the place is perfect for me, and I love the scenery.

Plus it's the furthest away from home I could manage while staying in Wales. I know Bangor and Wrexham are further away, but they're just ridiculously far and I don't wanna have to get up at 6am every time I want to visit my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skoji)
    Plus it's the furthest away from home I could manage while staying in Wales. I know Bangor and Wrexham are further away, but they're just ridiculously far and I don't wanna have to get up at 6am every time I want to visit my family.
    Why would you want to go to Wrexham in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    NEWI or whatevers its called nowadays?

Where in abouts in S Wales do you live?

ReputationRep:
    In the southeast, not far from Newport, in a town you probably won't have heard of unless you're from the area.

ReputationRep:
    Great, if you go by train or bus youd still have to leave early to get home though, if you want to get back before its late.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about being remote.im applying to Lampeter which unlike aber really is in the middle of nowhere. everyone at aber is nice and there's enough stuff to keep you buisy.

edit: oops just noticed the date. your probably already sorted by now

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.