Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

student finance, one hand does not know what the other is doing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    this morning i got a letter from student finance, saying

"thank you for providing evidence in support of your student finance application

please find enclosed your original identity evedence"

with this letter i got back my birth certificate

checked my account on line and it says "Awaiting Further Information"

so i phoned them up and asked them what information they needed.

they said "YOUR BIRTH CIRTIFICATE"

WLF....,

told me to phone back next week , to see if its just that the information has not been entered into the system

ReputationRep:
    :doh: Student Finance is a megafail.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the system hasn't update yet/properly...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avéry)
    Perhaps the system hasn't update yet/properly...?
    Given SFE's track record, that's highly doubtful!

ReputationRep:
    Thats kind of what happened to me. I sent off all my mums forms, they sent me a letter saying 'thanks for sending them blah blah' then sent them back, then sent me another letter saying we had sent the wrong forms, then sent me a letter asking for exactly the same forms we had sent in. Student Finance is a disgrace this year, they also asked me to send one form to Darlington and one to Glasgow no wonder they are getting so confused its a farce. Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's happened to most people lol.

I sent all my evidence off with a change of circumstances form and had to sign a declaration. 2 weeks later, my mum was sent a change of circumstances for to fill in and was asked for evidence.

I agree with you completely. The Non-means tested and the means tested departments don't talk to each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedodgeruk)
    this morning i got a letter from student finance, saying

"thank you for providing evidence in support of your student finance application

please find enclosed your original identity evedence"

with this letter i got back my birth certificate

checked my account on line and it says "Awaiting Further Information"

so i phoned them up and asked them what information they needed.

they said "YOUR BIRTH CIRTIFICATE"

WLF....,

told me to phone back next week , to see if its just that the information has not been entered into the system

How long did you have to wait till you received your documents back, I sent my parents income details off about 4 weeks ago still heard absolutely nothing and website still says awaiting further information, do you think they have lost it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    How long did you have to wait till you received your documents back, I sent my parents income details off about 4 weeks ago still heard absolutely nothing and website still says awaiting further information, do you think they have lost it?
    I sent my parents income info off months ago (end of May/June) and I still haven't had it back, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Has anyone has their application means tested yet and know exactly how much they're getting?? I sent my application off about 2 months ago and have had all identity side of it completed but have been waiting ages for the means tested side to be done, so slow. Also has anyone heard about the maintance grant?

ReputationRep:
    Basicly student finance is a pile of *****!!!!

ReputationRep:
    you guys try being a post grad eligible for student finance being welsh and studying in england and having had 3 years of finance already at a different uni. The application system went into meltdown with all the info I gave them..

ReputationRep:
    This sounds just like what happened to me.

I filled in my application months ago and sent my birth certificate and my declaration as well. I got the birth certificate back a couple of weeks later and the letter said that my application is being processed. I was told by a friend that it should take about 6 weeks, so after about 8 weeks i phoned them up (on about the 5th attempt as it was always engaged) and they just said they are experiencing delays. I haven't phoned back since, just hoping that they get it done. I think its nearly 3 months i have been waiting now. I am just going to have to phone them up again tomorrow as i fear i might have the same problem as the OP.

If this wasn't so important it would be funny. It's a total joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prof Fido)
    If this wasn't so important it would be funny. It's a total joke.
    I agree completely. How many applications are there to sort now? If they don't do something fast there's going to be a lot of students up the creek at the beginning of term.

ReputationRep:
    Exact same thing has happened to me. 5-6 weeks till I go and nothing has been sorted out as far as I can see.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried messaging them with the 'ask a question' part on the online application?

I had that problem with my loan request forms.

I ended up calling my LEA and Student finance, who gave me two different answers (yes we have it and No you've sent us nothing)
    Only after I messaged them a couple of times, on the 'ask a question' bit of the online app, did someone finally reveal that my online application is not up to date, they have got my forms and they are very very sorry that the support centre told me lies....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloimtom)
    I sent my parents income info off months ago (end of May/June) and I still haven't had it back, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Has anyone has their application means tested yet and know exactly how much they're getting?? I sent my application off about 2 months ago and have had all identity side of it completed but have been waiting ages for the means tested side to be done, so slow. Also has anyone heard about the maintance grant?
    Yes. There are quite a load.
    My application has been fully processed and all they need from me now is a signature with the agreement.

*Enter SFE Failure Here*
    > They supposedly sent the form out on 18th July. So, here I am over 3 weeks later without it. By chance, I logged in online on Thursday and checked 'correspondance' and saw there was something sent that wasn't there before. Phoned them up, and supposedly sent again on Friday. Hopefully I'll receive it this time!

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I sent mine off around the middle of may, though I've just phoned them up and found out that my mums P60 hadn't been entered onto the system (so in effect, they've lost it) and I now have to get her to get a copy from her employer so I can resend it.

Ironically, my mum works for the government - so lets see how long it takes her to get that copy.

ReputationRep:
    i sent off my application and parents household income evidence around the end of may, then I've been geting mails saying they have not recieved it and said if i already sent them off then ignore the mail. So i did and waited, then still my account status was the same saying still awaiting information from sponser 1 and 2, then I called them up saying whats going on bla bla blah i thought the mail service probably lost it, then the lady goes to fill in a CB2 form that basically shows what benefits my parents recieve you get it from the jobcentre, so i sent that off and also becuase i applied for a grant, i completely forgot to apply for a loan to cover my tution fees, then later on with the CB2 form i filled in a tution fee loan form aswell and sent them two off together and still I havnt heard anything from them yet that have they recieved it or not even by doing a special delivery which charges alot. So far i just got these online declaration form to sign and send of to some glasgow address they gave. Also they given me some financial notification table showing my entitlement it says the amount i applied for a grant which is £2906 but it says £0.00 for tution fees which is what i did apply for later on just wondering why it says £0.00 or is it because they're dealing with so many applicants, so my brother called them up and the man said its gona take another 4 weeks for it to be processed, and it also says on the letter that my application at the moment is Provisional. It's just so long and worrying I'm also geting my college results tomorow and really want to get this student finnace thing done and completed, this is even worser than applying for a EMA. GOD SAVE ME PLEASE.

ReputationRep:
    student finance are taking the mick now, i sent off a loan request form to cova my tuition fees like at the end of july, called them up saying did you recieve it or not, they said yes they did but it's going to take 4-6 weeks to update, and i really can't wait that long coz i'll be starting uni next month and i really need it done before enrolement day, all they have sent me is a payment scedule letter saying the amount of my grant which is £2906 and it says on the £0.00 for the loan and i need to take that to my enrolement day, the loan is not ment to say £0.00 its ment to say £3225 coz thats for my tuition fee and if i don't have anything for my tuition fee then they migt make me pay 15 grand upfront and i don't want that, that's why i'm going absolutly BILISTIC for my loan request form to be updated as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I actually had to travel from London to their offices in County Durham just to show them my passport (even though I was a student last year).

The guy I spoke to in their office was really nice and put the change onto the system acknowledging receipt of my ID straight away, but it still says ''awaiting further information''. Which I don't get.

I called them up and they said it was a technical glitch but the guy sounded like he was dying to go on his break and ushered me off the phone asap.
    I won't be amused if it still takes ages when I sacrificed an entire day to travel there. But I was told 2 weeks from the date of my visit and it has only been a week so I should just be patient.

For all of you folks that are stuggling with them though, the man I spoke to in their offices told me that it will take about 2 months for everything to be back to their normal workload.

ReputationRep:
    How much faster is stuff processed when they are at "normal workload"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.