Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks Watch

• View Poll Results: Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    13.36%
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    0.72%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    20.22%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.10%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    8.66%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    8.30%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    2.17%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.47%

ReputationRep:
    good looking and of average intelligence as a male but average looking and highly intelligent if i were a female.

I want to have children and about 60% of their intelligence comes from their mothers and 60% of the looks come from fathers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    how sexist :haughty:

i choose intelligent man with average looks.
    You call it sexism, I call it realism. In the words of the famous Chris Rock "no man is ever not going to date a woman because she's broke", meaning even if I was the most handsome man in the world most women probably wouldnt consider dating me if I was broke, had no prospects, and had no means of supporting myself or her. But it's not the same for women, no man is ever going to not have sex with you because you're broke. Despite the influence of feminism, a women's value is still primarily dependent on one thing - her looks.

ReputationRep:
    So, guys don't like smart girls?

ReputationRep:
    I'm intelligent with average looks so I couldn't expect any more from a partner I don't think..having said that the person I'm seeing currently is more gorgeous with average brains so I guess I don't really care.
    I wouldn't sacrifice my intelligence for better looks though, I really wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    this is TSR everyone wants to be geniouses!!
    Exactly. And generally speaking one must learn how to spell the word right before they can even venture down that path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Non-anon)
    I think Hitler put it perfectly when he said "the best wife for an intelligent man is a simple and stupid one". Of course, men value intelligence in women, but it's not held in as high regard as the importance women place on intelligence in men.

ReputationRep:
    Some guys don't really like girls who are smarter than them. :p:

Thankfully, thats no problem for me.

ReputationRep:
    The girl would be 'gorgeous' with average brains. Simply because she isn't the most intelligent person doesn't mean that me and her won't get on very well and she could still be a really nice person. I don't even think it's shallow to instantly be drawn to someone because of the way they look.

ReputationRep:
    What's average intelligence anyway?

ReputationRep:
    ow. my. God.

these threads are so utterly pointless, because rarely in life you'll go, hmm you're really attractive and clever, but this person over here is a little bit cleverer and slightly less attractive. mmm. i really can't decide, weighing up the options is far too hard for me.

you go with who you like more. all these vague retarded positive attributes have no measure on each individual.

ReputationRep:
    Almost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    What's average intelligence anyway?
    iq of 100, which by TSR standards is retarded.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You call it sexism, I call it realism. In the words of the famous Chris Rock "no man is ever not going to date a woman because she's broke", meaning even if I was the most handsome man in the world most women probably wouldnt consider dating me if I was broke, had no prospects, and had no means of supporting myself or her. But it's not the same for women, no man is ever going to not have sex with you because you're broke. Despite the influence of feminism, a women's value is still primarily dependent on one thing - her looks.
    WTF? are you living in the 30s?
    women can provide for themselves, they dont need to rely on a man's income to support them, you know.
    and in the first statement you say "women wouldnt date" and in the second you say "men wouldnt have sex". surely it is sexist to state that women are only wanted for sex.

oh my days you are riduculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    Exactly. And generally speaking one must learn how to spell the word right before they can even venture down that path.
    hey I never said I was one :P

ReputationRep:
    I voted for the good looking with average intelligence, for both myself and partner.
    In my book, common sense is more important. You can be a genius and still not have any common sense - and for that, I'd find you utterly unattractive.
    Therefore, I'd rather be goodlooking, of average intelligence and have a high level of common sense and the same for my partner.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm going to be criticised for this, but I don't think being very intelligent really brings much happiness, while being attractive to the opposite sex will. A person of lower intelligence is more easily pleased, more satisfied from what they have. An intelligent person will often be unhappy as they're always striving to do better and exceed their expectations, and when they realise their limits they become depressed.

Society doesn't particular favour those who are intelligent, in fact for many jobs confidence and being hardworking is more important than raw intelligence. In terms of A level exams etc. I honestly don't believe you need much intelligence to do well. I am predicted 3 As in A level and in all honesty, most of what I did was cramming for the exams, and learning the mark schemes. If I relied solely on my intelligence, I would be risking obtaining a good mark or not, as I could put down the right answer yet if it isn't the same/similar to what's on the mark scheme, I'd get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    WTF? are you living in the 30s?
    women can provide for themselves, they dont need to rely on a man's income to support them, you know.
    and in the first statement you say "women wouldnt date" and in the second you say "men wouldnt have sex". surely it is sexist to state that women are only wanted for sex.

oh my days you are riduculous.
    You think my views are backward and outdated, but actually I'm just taking a modern reductionist approach to the matter. Let's assert a few things here.

Firstly, yes, if you consider it critically, women pose no real value to men beyond sex. By that I mean there is nothing a man essentially needs a woman for beyond reproduction. You could say the same goes for women, but even you cannot deny collectively women are far more dependent on men than men are on women.

Secondly, you mention that "women can provide for themselves, they dont need to rely on a man's income to support them, you know", which only strengthens my argument. If a woman can fend for herself, it is incumbent upon her to find a man who can also fend for himself, as well as still providing for her if need be. The fact that she can provide for herself impels her to find a partner who can provide even more, not one who cannot provide at all.

ReputationRep:
    The poll that was created is amusing and i do believe its a trick poll in terms of if someone is highly intelligent and average looking, i believe their intelligence would convert average looking to gorgeous looking. Visa versa, would just be top of the ladder and going places you going to go is down the ladder.

Course the poll is restricted by boundaries? right? I'm thinking too much in this :P I go for average looks and highly intelligent because i have many reasons :P

ReputationRep:
    I just want my kids to be ******* awesome looking.

ReputationRep:
    Guys like girls who are smart, just not smarter than them?

Unless there's a huge difference between two people's intelligence, would you really be able to tell if one was smarter?
    I mean... really?

There's stuff like vocabulary, maybe wittiness... but differences shouldn't really be that pronounced...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.