Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks Watch

• View Poll Results: Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    13.36%
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    0.72%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    20.22%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.10%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    8.66%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    8.30%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    2.17%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.47%

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is not only academic intelligence, which is very misleading really. I ticked intelligent as i would like my partner to be aware of whats happening in the world, and not just be able to tell me the formula for potassium cydronucide or whatever.

I think too much importance is placed on grades in the word 'intelligence'. It would be nice to find someone who had an appreciation of the world around her, understanding how much is out there, to understand behaviour, just to be socially intelligent, open-minded ... and not just handbags, shoes and grades. That is intelligence.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You think my views are backward and outdated, but actually I'm just taking a modern reductionist approach to the matter. Let's assert a few things here.

Firstly, yes, if you consider it critically, women pose no real value to men beyond sex. By that I mean there is nothing a man essentially needs a woman for beyond reproduction. You could say the same goes for women, but even you cannot deny collectively women are far more dependent on men than men are on women.

Secondly, you mention that "women can provide for themselves, they dont need to rely on a man's income to support them, you know", which only strengthens my argument. If a woman can fend for herself, it is incumbent upon her to find a man who can also fend for himself, as well as still providing for her if need be. The fact that she can provide for herself impels her to find a partner who can provide even more, not one who cannot provide at all.
    no they are backwards and outdated, and they generalise HUGELY. it is insulting to women to say that even if they were successful in their careers, they still would go after a mn who potentially earned more than them, and they would never go for a man who earned less or very little. that is insulting to everyone involved. who are these women you speak of? is there evidence to support this? why is it "incumbent upon her" to find a wealthy man. also, the original comparison was between attractiveness and intelligence. wealth had nothing to do with it. you are saying that men who are intelligent will be wealthy and therefore will only require a dumb beautiful bimbo. likewise an intelligent woman would still only go after an intelligent man becuase she wants someone of equal if not higher success, wealth and status.

:doh:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence does not = personality, and the smartest person I know is the most boring! Though my boyfriend is intelligent and witty etc., so I'd choose something with good looks and average intelligence, as long as they have personality I'd probably choose the same for me as looks are always an easy way to get a step up in anything, whether ugly people want to admit it or not! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Someone with average intelligence. If women are too intelligent they start to challenge you on issues (even if you blatently know more than them) and even worse...they want to go to work! If you're not careful you find yourself a househusband. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be gorgeous with average intelligence to be embarassingly honest lol
    I do value intelligence but think a clever sense of humour is more attractive than someone who is academically intelligent but a social wet blanket. So provided the man had a clever sense of humour as well as academic inteligence average looks would be irrelevant. But he probably wouldn't want a gorgoeus bimbo like me.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting how it peaks at the extreme ends .

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit selfish . I'd rather enjoy my own intelligence than allow other people to enjoy my looks. In others I prefer intelligence. Even if they're ugly and boring.

ReputationRep:
    whats this stupid obsession with intelligence? i'd pick looks anyday - happiness + pleasure!

ReputationRep:
    average looking and intelligent, with an average looking partner who is intelligent. I can only stand stupid people for so long, i find most people predictable and boring, particularly girls.

ReputationRep:
    move to Sweden and get both intelligence and looks

But out of those options, I'd say average looks but intelligent, but I suppose average is very broad.

ReputationRep:
    obviously I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the first option, but I'm known to be a pit of a poser.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, no1 wants to be clever and ugly now would they?

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the fact that 39% of guys voted for I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence but only 3% of girls did (don't worry people, I did the math.. :p: )

Not very surprising though.

ReputationRep:
    average looking and highly intelligent .brain is far more important than good look when u all come down to it

ReputationRep:
    being intelligent and cultured is more important, not in impressing other people, but because we're trapped inside our brains,
    being stupid must be like spending you life in a council house -
    small rooms

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is everything.

ReputationRep:
    this a trick question? obviously i wanna be average looking and intelligent with a very attractive woman etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Highly intelligent with average looks if I was male, and highly gorgeous with average brains if I was female. Women's power is largely dependent upon their aesthetic value (i.e. how attractive they are), whereas a man's power is dependent on far more than just how attractive he is.
    are you neither male or female then? :rolleyes:

highly intelligent and average looking for me and not sure on the second bit...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.