Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks Watch

• View Poll Results: Gorgeous with average brains or very intelligent with average looks
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    13.36%
    Guys: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    0.72%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    20.22%
    Guys: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.10%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence
    8.66%
    Girls: I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    8.30%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have a very good looking partner who is of average intelligence
    2.17%
    Girls: I'd rather be average looking and highly intelligent and have an average looking partner who is highly intelligent
    23.47%

ReputationRep:
    gorgeous and average intelligence for both please.
    unfortunately i am just average

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be very good looking, of average intelligence and have a very good looking partner with average intelligence

ReputationRep:
    For myself, I'd go with average looks and high intelligence, though maybe it's just a consequence of being in very much this state for my whole life that I don't feel I'd be able to adjust to a life of average intelligence, regardless of how I might look.

There's a part of me that would like to go with a partner of high intelligence and average looks, but since I already have plenty of friends of high intelligence and for the main thing which I'd do with a partner and not my friends - sex - looks are more important than intelligence. I also like making other men jealous, so I'd go for a gorgeous woman of average intelligence, probably.

ReputationRep:
    i want to be smart and i want to be with a smartie. it's always a plus if he's hot, but you can't always get that. besides, once i like someone, i often think they're gorgeous even if the world thinks they're not.
    i'm quite blind when i'm in love. or in like or whatever.*shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Highly intelligent with average looks if I was male, and highly gorgeous with average brains if I was female. Women's power is largely dependent upon their aesthetic value (i.e. how attractive they are), whereas a man's power is dependent on far more than just how attractive he is.

I think that's a load of rubbish.

As this modern world grows tasks that allow most to get a job will become automated, and as a result unemployment will rise. In fact it is predicted that 50% of the population will become unemployed. Anyway, my point is that the very skilled such as doctors, researchers and the like are the only ones going to get a job. You'll end up no where at the moment without intelligence, just another half of the people unemployed. Living of benefits in that era is unsafe and stressful. This includes ALL people.

Oh yeah, and women being more powerful upon their aesthetic value? A dolly to talk to? That was so last century. What for - to talk about nothing to represent you're great originality? A relationship has to be much deeper than that. Oh and looks will fad quickly anyway. The 30s will hit, it will disappear, and the rest of the life will consist of moisturizing her wrinkles.

Intelligence is dependent on your gender, this is generally true. The skills they possess differ but are essential for society to operate as a whole. Intelligent women are needed to perform certain jobs that men cannot do as well. Therefore it should be half and half.

Besides, I think intelligence and good looks correlate very well. It's not all genetic - but it does have a great influence.

Well that's all I can think of without going religious. And yes, I wrote all this at 2AM.

ReputationRep:
    If I had a partner who was very good looking and of average intelligence (average intelligence doesn't bother me, as long as they're not braindead), then I wouldn't mind being average looking, so I'd want to be highly intelligent. So I go for option 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb)
    Intelligence is everything.
    Only if its your own

ReputationRep:
    I never compromise. Hence. I'm alone a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on what I wanted from him. If it was just a quick roll then I could forgive him being thick if he was highly good looking - I could always put an apple in his mouth.

But if I wanted something more long-term then he would have to possess a similar level of intelligence as me, and by 'intelligence' I'm not referring to IQ. He would have to be interesting, witty and bright. I think I would get bored very quickly in a relationship if I was restricted to small talk.

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that there are lots of moderately attractive women, which means when I find an intelligent woman they are also likely to be fairly attractive too; there is no compromise. But intelligent women are almost non-existent. A lot of mediocre women genuinely believe they are intelligent but they tend to be the most benign unbearable people you can imagine, and those who hide their intelligence are even worse; a number of girls on this forum are a perfect example of the former.

I come from an all female household that has absolutely no intellectual aspirations, and I tend to find these sorts women very interesting. Some believe that I would not be interested in them, the type that has not gone to university, but they could not be further from the true. I find they are often very comfortable with themselves, and are far nicer and more affectionate. I would suggest an average looking woman with average intelligence is probably the most satisfying.

There is only one woman I enjoy talking to intellectually, and that is a female lecturer, who is a lesbian; another is nice to speak to but I do not feel I could have the same sort of intense highly charged discussion with her. The only time I have felt intellectually inadequate is when I sat next to a Catholic Sister on a National Express coach from Newcastle to London a few years back. We talked for almost ten hours straight about every topic imaginable, and I honestly felt that there was nothing she did not know. When the coach stopped she bought me ice-cream, and when we went our separate ways at London she gave me some money too. She is probably the kindest, most well rounded person I have ever met.

I'm one to believe that if both sides are highly intelligent then conflicts will happen often. If I can choose I rather go for a lowly intelligent woman and average looking so she won't get lots of perverted looks at her in public.

ReputationRep:
    Me: good looking, average intellegence
    Partner: average looking, highly intellegent
    ... Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    Gorgeous with average brains as I am the Intelligent one with average looks
    This.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.