Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Has any one got any experience or heard anything about the Foundation year at Durham? I was pondering doing a science access course this september as I haven't been in education for a long time (I'm 31). Also I could get a student loan etc.. for the Durham course as its classed as higher education. Any I too late to apply now or is there still time? Have tried ringing the uni but no-one ever seems to pick up:mad: I'd have to move from Manchester but thats no problem.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Driving myself mad with all the options:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for Access Courses up until September.
    I applied to the Durham Foundation year but I was rejected due to 'academic reasons'. That's why I'm doing in Access Course this September

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was for mature students without many qualifications? Hmmm I'm having second thoughts now. I've been trying to ring them all day but no-one picks up. Perhaps I'll do an access course as well. The only problem with that is fitting it around a job and paying for it. They seem to vary from over a grand to about two hundred quid...pretty random.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the Foundation Year at Durham and was accepted. Whilst my only traditional qualifications are GCSE's with pretty good grades I have evidence of study in the past 5 years through an Open University course (30 point's at Level 1). Why not try giving them a call and discussing it with them? The worst they can do is say no

ReputationRep:
    I'll try them again today and see how I get on. I was ringing them all day yesterday but there was no-one in the foundation centre!?!?

Wish me luck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersharpshooter)
    I'll try them again today and see how I get on. I was ringing them all day yesterday but there was no-one in the foundation centre!?!?

Wish me luck...
    Any luck getting through yet? Are you trying the foundation centre specifically? Is there a Queens Campus admissions number? Maybe try that instead?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yep, turns out I was stressing about nothing (as usual). I called them up again this morning and she's offered me a place on the course! She said my background was perfect for the course, so I've got my ucas form over to her and hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all finalised.

I'm very excited now :woo: Just need to get onto student finance and get me some money.... oh and move from Manchester to stockton

ReputationRep:
    Yep, turns out I was stressing about nothing (as usual). I called them up again this morning and she's offered me a place on the course! She said my background was perfect for the course, so I've got my ucas form over to her and hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all finalised.

I'm very excited now :woo: Just need to get onto student finance and get me some money.... oh and move from Manchester to stockton
    Well done, that's awesome. Is it for 2009 entry? Which course is it? I'm doing Geology with Foundation and now cannot wait to start

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm well chuffed. I'm going to be doing the biomedical science foundation year in October....Are you staying in halls?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm well chuffed. I'm going to be doing the biomedical science foundation year in October....Are you staying in halls?
    Yeah in Stephenson college and in their halls. I can't bloody wait now

ReputationRep:
    Me too. Still waiting for Durham to finalise it so hopefully I'll have it sorted this week. Does it really take 8 weeks for student finance to put the money through? I seriously hope not....:o:

ReputationRep:
    Me too. Still waiting for Durham to finalise it so hopefully I'll have it sorted this week. Does it really take 8 weeks for student finance to put the money through? I seriously hope not....:o:
    Well, after I put my application for finance in online it took about 4 weeks before I got the agreement through the post to sign and send back. Then another 4 weeks ish to get the letter confirming my entitlement for definite. (I think).

As for how long they take to put the money through, I won't have anything until I'm at uni as until you enrol they don't give the money out. (Hope that all makes sense)

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, thats cleared it up a bit, I'm gonna be in Stephenson as well!

ReputationRep:
    I've done a foundation year at Durham, so any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quizster)
    I've done a foundation year at Durham, so any questions just ask
    Hey,

do you know how many people did a foundation year at Durham for entry to medicine in your cohort? I want to know the entry requirements for medicine foundation. Thanks. Oh, and if you can possibly give me the email/msn of those who did the medicine foundation then that would be cool...(prior to their permission of course).

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmmm, I was a Geographer, so I'm not entirely sure about how many people got onto the meds foundation year, I think it was low in comparrison to other subjects, maybe about 4 or 5 people from the top of my head. I know for medicine the admission process was much more indepth than other subjects, where there was two interviews, one for the foundation year, and one for the actual department. Plus, people on medicine had to achieve 70% in modules, where as others only had to achieve 40%. Sorry, I don't really know any email addresses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.