Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This last year was my first year at university. I made no friends (perhaps one or two people who I spoke to at lectures)and had no social life.
    I've left the university and am starting somewhere new, I'm feeling quite positive about this but I'm also terrified that my surroundings may change but that's not going to change me and my faulty coping mechanisms. I could go see somebody there but I'm terribly shy (hence not making friends!) and the likelihood is that I wouldn't be able to get any words out when faced by a doctor.

I'm a nice person really, I'm not a complete headcase! I don't know what I'm looking for, maybe advice, or cheery own experiences that promise me everything will work out for the better?

Edit: Dammit that was meant to be anon! Fail.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel bad about posting another thread about depression

My cousin went to uni and was ill for Fresher's week and when she eventually emerged from her room, most of her flat wouldn't speak to her :eek:
    She moved uni after her first year and is much happier at her second uni, has friends etc etc.

I know it's difficult to meet people/get to know people when you're shy, but you have to make an effort! Leave your door open when you're in your room so people know they can come in and say hi.
    Make use of the student counselling services if you're feeling depressed - did you do that at your old uni? Get in there first so they know about you, make sure yuo register with the GP etc so you can get help if you need to.

I found this, might be some help if you do want to see your doctor:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/...rgp_000480.htm

Hope it all works out for you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennikay)
    Don't feel bad about posting another thread about depression

My cousin went to uni and was ill for Fresher's week and when she eventually emerged from her room, most of her flat wouldn't speak to her :eek:
    She moved uni after her first year and is much happier at her second uni, has friends etc etc.

I know it's difficult to meet people/get to know people when you're shy, but you have to make an effort! Leave your door open when you're in your room so people know they can come in and say hi.
    Make use of the student counselling services if you're feeling depressed - did you do that at your old uni? Get in there first so they know about you, make sure yuo register with the GP etc so you can get help if you need to.

I found this, might be some help if you do want to see your doctor:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/...rgp_000480.htm

Hope it all works out for you :hugs:
    (I haven't posted a thread before I just noticed there are quite a lot already!)

Thank you, it's reassuring to know that it worked out for your cousin.
    I did go to student counselling once, my personal tutor arranged it when I told her I was going to leave. I screwed it up for myself a bit though, I struggled to speak openly (or at all!) and turned down help.
    Thanks for the link, it's made me realise it'll be easier to go to the doctor's if I think of depression as an 'illness' just as I might go for something physical.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I thought you meant but this one's for you, aha

It is an illness - I have OCD, which is just another illness. It often helps to think of it as just an imbalance of chemicals in your brain.

Obviously talking is a good idea if you're having counselling can't really get anywhere if you don't. You might find that the counselling at your new uni is better, or you like the counsellor more, etc etc. If you don't feel able to open up to whoever you're assigned, don't be afraid to ask to see someone else, as it's a waste of your time and theirs if you can't talk to them!

ReputationRep:
    Think of it like this, this is life as it is right now, don't get stuck in an abyss where your constantly thinking "what if" "if only" no if's no but's no shoulda woulda coulda, just do it, go out there and speak to your flatmates, small talk and then slowly open up..don't think of yourself as being a nutcase or having issues, some people are born cocky and confident, and some are born shy, its better to have a few really close trustworthy friends than a whole army of "mates"..if you get what I mean..
    what uni are you planning on going to?..I'll be starting in Liverpool incase your around that area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    This last year was my first year at university. I made no friends (perhaps one or two people who I spoke to at lectures)and had no social life.
    More importantly I became very depressed, I had few contact hours and little work so a lot of spare time. I spent most of it either sleeping so that I didn't have to think/feel or shovelling food away. I felt suicidal most days.
    Now that I'm back home I'm feeling a little better but still very depressed. I want to want to live but I have no motivation for life.
    I've left the university and am starting somewhere new, I'm feeling quite positive about this but I'm also terrified that my surroundings may change but that's not going to change me and my faulty coping mechanisms. I could go see somebody there but I'm terribly shy (hence not making friends!) and the likelihood is that I wouldn't be able to get any words out when faced by a doctor.

I'm a nice person really, I'm not a complete headcase! I don't know what I'm looking for, maybe advice, or cheery own experiences that promise me everything will work out for the better?

Edit: Dammit that was meant to be anon! Fail.
    Sorry but no-one had done it yet so...

Anon FAIL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha_)
    Think of it like this, this is life as it is right now, don't get stuck in an abyss where your constantly thinking "what if" "if only" no if's no but's no shoulda woulda coulda, just do it, go out there and speak to your flatmates, small talk and then slowly open up..don't think of yourself as being a nutcase or having issues, some people are born cocky and confident, and some are born shy, its better to have a few really close trustworthy friends than a whole army of "mates"..if you get what I mean..
    what uni are you planning on going to?..I'll be starting in Liverpool incase your around that area
    I have two friends who went to Liverpool and both loved it, you'll have a great time

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venom123)
    Sorry but no-one had done it yet so...

Anon FAIL!
    I did it!
    Does that not count?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I thought you meant but this one's for you, aha

It is an illness - I have OCD, which is just another illness. It often helps to think of it as just an imbalance of chemicals in your brain.

Obviously talking is a good idea if you're having counselling can't really get anywhere if you don't. You might find that the counselling at your new uni is better, or you like the counsellor more, etc etc. If you don't feel able to open up to whoever you're assigned, don't be afraid to ask to see someone else, as it's a waste of your time and theirs if you can't talk to them!
    Is OCD like many people think it is? I think it's when someone has to do something in a certain way everytime or is it different?

On Topic: Why haven't you made many friends? Have you tried or do you expect people to just come up to you? If so then you need to make more of an effort and join societies or whatever is at your uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowrax)
    I did it!
    Does that not count?
    Self-confssed Fails aren't right :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've just been to the drs today, and I left feeling fobbed off. I mean she printed off a few things to help with my sleep, I had/have mild insomnia, if there is such a thing, and just told me to get out more. That would boost my low levels. So I'm now stuck on what to do. I'd hate to go back and see a diff GP who still doesn't take me seriously. I feel pretty much the same, have no will to live, I cry 24-7, over the smallest thing now and how will gray skies help me?
    But do try counselling services a uni, and you could always make new friends at freshers week. You'd be their wise friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsuperhunni)
    I've just been to the drs today, and I left feeling fobbed off. I mean she printed off a few things to help with my sleep, I had/have mild insomnia, if there is such a thing, and just told me to get out more. That would boost my low levels. So I'm now stuck on what to do. I'd hate to go back and see a diff GP who still doesn't take me seriously. I feel pretty much the same, have no will to live, I cry 24-7, over the smallest thing now and how will gray skies help me?
    But do try counselling services a uni, and you could always make new friends at freshers week. You'd be their wise friend.
    That's a bit naff... perhaps if you go to a different doctor and explain that last time you don't think you were taken seriously, although that takes quite a lot of confidence!

I'm starting my next year at a new uni so hopefully I'll have another chance to make friends. There's just the worry that feeling depressed will stop me from getting out and talking to people.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A different uni means different people, and you may find yourself living with a group of people who become your best friends. You will also have an advantage because you have been through it before so know what to expect, which may make you more relaxed.

I am pretty shy and was terrified when I first saw someone about my depression (a uni counsellor, who then suggested I see a doctor and made the appointment for me). You could look into the counselling service at your new uni, because they might be easier people to talk to. You get 50 minutes and can say as much or as little as possible.
    A large amount of people a GP says are being treated for depression (also, a pretty high percentage of clients I've worked with on different placements have been) so they will have heard it all before. Something I have found useful in the past is to write down what you want to say so you don't forget anything, or you can just give it to the doctor to read, and then he will ask whatever questions he needs to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Is OCD like many people think it is? I think it's when someone has to do something in a certain way everytime or is it different?

On Topic: Why haven't you made many friends? Have you tried or do you expect people to just come up to you? If so then you need to make more of an effort and join societies or whatever is at your uni.
    That's a bit more like it than I imagine most people think of OCD - a lot of people know it as handwashing or perfectionism.
    OCD has two halves - obsessions and compulsions. There's loads and loads of different 'types' - I, for example, obsess about symmetry and perfection, and my compulsions are to do things symmetrically - my books are lined up in height order, if I step on something with one foot I have to step on it with the other. There's the obvious one of people who obsess about germs, have horrible thoughts of 'if I don't wash my hands then I will/my child/partner/family member will get ill/die' and so the compulsion is to wash their hands, clean the house etc.

Hope that explains it a bit

Sorry for hijacking the thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    not another one

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit more like it than I imagine most people think of OCD - a lot of people know it as handwashing or perfectionism.
    OCD has two halves - obsessions and compulsions. There's loads and loads of different 'types' - I, for example, obsess about symmetry and perfection, and my compulsions are to do things symmetrically - my books are lined up in height order, if I step on something with one foot I have to step on it with the other. There's the obvious one of people who obsess about germs, have horrible thoughts of 'if I don't wash my hands then I will/my child/partner/family member will get ill/die' and so the compulsion is to wash their hands, clean the house etc.

Hope that explains it a bit

Sorry for hijacking the thread :p:

Oh, that doesn't sound strange at all. I can't think that it'd affect you that much.

Oh and yh sorry for going off-topic but I wanted to know more about OCD from someone who has it :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Oh, that doesn't sound strange at all. I can't think that it'd affect you that much.
    Don't ever say that to someone with OCD. :o:
    I'm just about OK with people saying 'that doesn't seem like a big deal' - I mean, it's not most of the time - but I get the times where I physically cannot do anything until I have washed my hands. I get times when I've stepped on something wrong and I have to go back and do it again, and again, and again, until I do it 'just right'. I've had times when someone has used my butter and cried because they've 'ruined' it just by scraping it the wrong way.
    When I told my sister, she said something along the lines of 'that's nothing, my friend sometimes spends half an hour locking the door' and I nearly cried, because it's the same thing - just that his OCD had more outward signs. You wouldn't notice me walking funny, but I do - you only notice it if I have to go back and do it again. My OCD affects me 24/7.

I'm not having a go (sorry! :o:) - just don't underestimate the anxiety and sadness that a 'little' thing can cause. If it doesn't cause the anxiety, it's not OCD!

ReputationRep:
    I got pretty depressed in my first yeat at uni but then moved to another, im now much happier. maybe this new uni will be better for you

ReputationRep:
    Don't ever say that to someone with OCD. :o:
    I'm just about OK with people saying 'that doesn't seem like a big deal' - I mean, it's not most of the time - but I get the times where I physically cannot do anything until I have washed my hands. I get times when I've stepped on something wrong and I have to go back and do it again, and again, and again, until I do it 'just right'. I've had times when someone has used my butter and cried because they've 'ruined' it just by scraping it the wrong way.
    When I told my sister, she said something along the lines of 'that's nothing, my friend sometimes spends half an hour locking the door' and I nearly cried, because it's the same thing - just that his OCD had more outward signs. You wouldn't notice me walking funny, but I do - you only notice it if I have to go back and do it again. My OCD affects me 24/7.

I'm not having a go (sorry! :o:) - just don't underestimate the anxiety and sadness that a 'little' thing can cause. If it doesn't cause the anxiety, it's not OCD!
    Oh sorry if it seemed like a was belittling you . I don't know how to respond to what you said without sounding like a jerk or like i'm patronising you, so I will say tc and cya. (I don't feel like digging a hole)

You sound like a nice person though

ReputationRep:
    maybe year 2 will be better?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.