Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dandruff - bane of my life! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I go through stages of having severe dandruff, but now it seems to be at its worst ever! I've tried loads of different shampoos, but it seems like after a few washes it stops having any effect. I've also tried that T-something (can't remember what it's called!) and don't know what else I can try... does anyone know any tried and tested unusual/natural remedies or some super duper not as well known shampoo I could try?

ReputationRep:
    Neutrogena T-Gel is ****. Try Nizoral, it's about a fiver from Boots. It's pretty darn good.

Remember to wash twice with it and finish off with cold water (it closes the pores). Also, stimulate your scalp as much as possible on the odd occasion you may see dandruff again.

ReputationRep:
    Head & Shoulders.
    Vosene isn't bad.

If not I'm sure you can get proper medicated stuff for it, ask at a chemist.

ReputationRep:
    Neutrogena T-Gel or whatever it's called is supposedly more stronger than Head & Shoulders. If T-Gel doesn't work, then I suggest you should go and see your GP who will prescribe a stronger shampoo for you. 'Capasal' is either similar strength or possibly stronger than T-Gel. Maybe stronger as it is prescribed I presume? It does smell awful because I'm sure it has coconut oil and tar etc. as ingredients. See your GP.

ReputationRep:
    use this once a week https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=80

or something like this twice a week http://www.boots.com/en/Oilatum-Scal...-150ml_863812/

you can get prescription shampoos for severe dandruff as well

ReputationRep:
    Use Nizoral. I went to my GP [mum forced me] and I got some head infection anti fungal thing or something like that, and she prescribed me Nizoral and it works perfectly after first wash =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Neutrogena T-Gel is ****. Try Nizoral, it's about a fiver from Boots. It's pretty darn good.

Remember to wash twice with it and finish off with cold water (it closes the pores). Also, stimulate your scalp as much as possible on the odd occasion you may see dandruff again.
    ah, thank you. i'll have to get me down to boots and try that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    use this once a week https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=80

or something like this twice a week http://www.boots.com/en/Oilatum-Scal...-150ml_863812/

you can get prescription shampoos for severe dandruff as well
    does the lush stuff really work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    does the lush stuff really work?
    I think so, it doesn't smell great though so wash with nice smelling shampoo afterwards. Can be annoying having to leave it on for 20+ mins before a shower but I'd recommend it. Its cheaper than the strong shampoos as well.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're washing your hair right first, scrub the shampoo (twice, first time to clean second time to do the job) and then conditioner, when you put it on don't go from the roots, start mid-way down and gently go through it, cleaning it out with a bush to make sure it's thoroughly clean and knot-free

yeah, and head & shoulders, i've been using herbal essences though and it works, and i used to have dandruff quite visible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    Make sure you're washing your hair right first, scrub the shampoo (twice, first time to clean second time to do the job) and then conditioner, when you put it on don't go from the roots, start mid-way down and gently go through it, cleaning it out with a bush to make sure it's thoroughly clean and knot-free

yeah, and head & shoulders, i've been using herbal essences though and it works, and i used to have dandruff quite visible
    head and shoulders has stopped working for me. damn dandruff.

ReputationRep:
    I go through stages of having severe dandruff, but now it seems to be at its worst ever! I've tried loads of different shampoos, but it seems like after a few washes it stops having any effect. I've also tried that T-something (can't remember what it's called!) and don't know what else I can try... does anyone know any tried and tested unusual/natural remedies or some super duper not as well known shampoo I could try?
    I had similar problem as you but in terms of scalp problems. I tried many products even that T - something you mentioned which is T-Gel lol.

I'd have to say Nizoral Anti drandruff shampoo cleared my condition. I remember first time i used it, my whole head felt Fresh and breezy as if my scalp felt healthy. I'd highly recommend Nizoral Anti dandruff shampoo and of course please read the instructions if your eligible to use it or go to GP and see what the person says first and throw in a question about Nizoral if its the right for you. I don't see why not

Good luck! trust me, i left it for good 5 years until it got serious thinking it was nothing not i'm glad in some ways i've got it treated, just wish i could have done it sooner.

ReputationRep:
    nizoral ftw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Head and Shoulders is the best option regarding performance and price, but I find it makes me hair look heavy (if that makes any sense!). I use E45 dry scalp shampoo. It's a quite pricey; £4.99 for 200ml. However, it's brilliant and light. I'd give it a go, but first try H&S as it's definitely the cheaper option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    Head and Shoulders is the best option regarding performance and price, but I find it makes me hair look heavy (if that makes any sense!). I use E45 dry scalp shampoo. It's a quite pricey; £4.99 for 200ml. However, it's brilliant and light. I'd give it a go, but first try H&S as it's definitely the cheaper option.
    I've done head and shoulders, it does nothing for me anymore
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've done head and shoulders, it does nothing for me anymore
    Then try E45 . You may have the problem where, once your hair gets used to a product, it becomes ineffective. It happens to me, but E45 is the only one that I've stuck with for more than 6 months.

head and shoulders has stopped working for me. damn dandruff.
    I had that too, after the second or third attempt

ReputationRep:
    Vosene worked well but it stopped working after a while. It goes through stages! Head and Shoulders is cheap and it works...for a while!

This sound pretty gross but try rinsing your hair with a vinegar solution. I have dandruff and it usually gives relief for about a month or so. Just mix about two table spoons of vinegar (apple ciders best) into water, leave in hair (massage into scalp first) for about 20-30mins and then shampoo out. Smells abit when hairs wet but it quickly fades.

It may not be the as effective but its certainly cheaper than buying expensive dandruff shampoos.

ReputationRep:
    If it won't go away then see your GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.