The Student Room Group

Job interview advice

Hi unexpectedly have an interview tomorrow now for staples and this is my first job interview! so just wondering if I could get any advice for what type of questions I should be prepared for etc and what to dress!
I looked at some previous threads and they said suits ideally but I’m not really that prepared: P all I have is smart shoes, smart trousers and smart shirt. Should that be ok?
Reply 1
Yes shoes, trousers and a shirt would be fine- do you have a tie you could wear as you don't have a full suit?

Not sure about specific questions for Staples but be prepared for: why do you want to work here, give an example of a time when you've done (various situations here), tell me a little about yourself, why do you think we should offer you the job etc.

Arrive a little early, be cheerful, don't chew gum or fidget too much, look the person in the eyes when you talk to them etc. All very obvious points really.
Reply 2
That should be fine. Just make you you show you've made an effort, i.e. iron your shirt and look as presentable as possible.

They'll probably ask things like why you want the job, how would you work within a team, how would you help a customer if they asked for a certain product. It won't be anything too taxing, all common sense kind of stuff. You might get a ridiculous question like "What department of Staples do you have the most interest in?", but they realise most teenagers won't really care about stationary and office furniture so as long as you don't take the mick there is no wrong answer.

The most important things are to answer every question as enthusastically as you can, and make sure you answer the question thoroughly. No one word answers if you can help it, but don't rabbit on for ages either. A short 10-20 second answer is fine). And try not to look shy. Confident handshake and look the interviewer into the eye (but don't stare).
Prepare your answers and have them all ready for when asked.
It looks better if you have an answer straight up than sitting umming and ahhing having to quickly think on the spot.
Reply 4
A suit really isn't necessary, nor is a tie.

You'll probably get asked things like, give us an example of when you successfully worked as part of a team, where do you see yourself in five years time, tell us about yourself, why do you want to work here, what is your worst quality, why do you think we should give you the job, what would you do if a customer asked for x

Latest

Trending

Trending