Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, the offers I hold atm are for 2010 entry for History, which is a competitive course. I really like my choices (Exeter particularly). But the problem is that I am really regretting taking a gap year due to problems at home (it is not pleasant to be here atm for various reasons).

Is there anyway I can do 2009 entry? Through clearing probably? The other problem is that I havent sorted out accommodation or finance as I was intending for 2010 entry originally....

ReputationRep:
    Best to ring up the university when you get your grades and see what is possible. There are always people who will drop out etc but they usually take these people into account, and there is little chance they will be under subscribed. But worth ringing the universities.

ReputationRep:
    If you definitely don't want to have a gap year, you should email them asap and explain why. They may be able to change your offer/put you at the front of the queue for results day because you have extenuating circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    If you definitely don't want to have a gap year, you should email them asap and explain why. They may be able to change your offer/put you at the front of the queue for results day because you have extenuating circumstances
    thanks which part of the uni should i email?

ReputationRep:
    you obviously meet their requirements so you know they want you, and getting the grades don't appear to be the problem so you are in a strong position. My advice would be to try and sort it out before results day, give 'em a ring and explain you really want to go this year, you may have to go through clearing as its not the offer they gave you, but you could see if they could guarantee a place before it starts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks My offer is very high (AAA!) :eek: so if I miss it I will probably have to take a gap year to resit some modules...which greatly confuses things more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarantuLove)
    thanks which part of the uni should i email?
    The admissions tutor of your department should be able to help

If you can't find their details, try the general undergraduate admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    The admissions tutor of your department should be able to help

If you can't find their details, try the general undergraduate admissions tutor.

thanks what do you reckon is the best way to word it? Rather than 'i dunno wanna stay at home blahhhhhhh' :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you're emailing them try to do it before the end of the week when the universities go into lock down prior to results coming out. Just say that you have had a change of heart and due to circumstances at home are enquiring about the feasibility of starting in 2009. Organising the finance side could be tricky in time for the start of the year, so you want to get it sorted as soon as possible if you can to give yourself the best chance of having it all organised in time.

Following on from F1's advice.

I think you should actualy apply for student finance now because of the current backlog at least that way you may still be eligible to receive a small amount by the time you enrol and if you decide to take a gap year for any reason then you can always call student finance and cancel.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...time/DG_171523

It's quite important you try and get it sorted by the end of this week because otherwise universities would be busy with results day so make sure you follow up any emails you send.

Especially with Exeter speaking from personal experiences :dry: call and don't email them because they never seem to reply to emails.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I emailed them earlier, will give them a call in a day or two if no reply. Would I just put finance as 1st oct 2009 start date then?

Check the start date on the university website because it should be there but don't wait two days to call them.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks Will ring them tomorrow! Will get on the finance now. Can i just cancel it if I do end up taking a gap year?

Yes you can. You can call them up and ask to cancel and I think they send you a form.

If you have any problems filling the form or dealing with student finance then just check or post in the mney and finance forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=176

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your help, youre a star

lol you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Just an update guys - rang admissions today and the woman told me they need it in writing, I said I emailed them yesterday but just wanted to get hold of someone before the chaos and she just said they will eventually reply.....

ReputationRep:

I regret to inform you that unfortunately we cannot change your status for this year's entry. The School of History has no places available at this time
    for 2009 and its highly unlikely that they will go into clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarantuLove)
    You could still go via the clearing route, and go to a different university. However, you might want to think carefully about this as there is obviously a decision as to whether going to an institution you don't like as much/isn't as good is better than waiting a year. If you take a gap year you could still move away from home if you have a job or are travelling.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. The only problem is that I can't afford to live/move away as I have a horse to fund which costs me £200+ a month :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.