Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh or Glasgow...?? which one do u prefer???

I plan to apply to Notts,Liv,Bristol plus one of these scotland unis. I dont want to live in London so not thinking of RVC or Cambridge:woo: :eek: . but i just cant make up my mind about these Scotland universities.... can anyone comment on this please???

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know I'm biased but I personally found Edinburgh to be much friendlier and there was generally a nicer atmosphere up there. Glasgow is beautiful too, but I just found Ed to be more impressive in terms of facilities and the people there.

(Probably best to get an unbiased opinion though).

ReputationRep:
    I went to glasgow uni and loved it, and really didnt like edinburgh, so it just shows that everyones different! In order to make the right choice for you though i think you need to go to both the open days and see which one you prefer

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it really does depend on the individual because I've heard a lot of different opinions on which is better. As I said, it's better to get an unbiased opinion or work it out for yourself by visiting both.

ReputationRep:
    I personally prefered Edinburgh to Glasgow. Again I may also be biased! Definately visit the open days though and then make your mind up :yep:

x

ReputationRep:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but..
    I can only go to Glasgow open day. But Edinburgh certainly seems to appeal to me just that little bit more.
    Suppose I'd have to be a very lucky person to have the choice to make in the first place but it will be a bit of a chance decision because I'm not going to Edinburgh's(only because I waited too long and couldn't get a ticket)

ReputationRep:
    im only going to edinburgh cos i couldnt go to either of glasgows, i like the sound of glasgow more though... but i probably wont have to worry about that cos its highly unlikely im gonna get an A in chemistry and have a chance in either of them

ReputationRep:
    Haha, we've invaded another thread again FV. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Visiting there will probably make up your mind one way or the other...

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow :p:

I've just finished my time there and had the best five years ever! (But then I would say that!) I haven't been to Edinburgh vet school since I got into Glasgow so I'm 100% biased!

Go to the open days, and if you can't manage that, visit the cities. You'll (hopefully!) be spending five long years there so you've gotta like the place!

Things about Glasgow vet school:
    It's very, very, very friendly
    The local pub on friday night is the only place to be
    The nightlife in the west end and the city centre is awesome
    If you are into music, every decent band plays Glasgow
    If you are into snowsports, there is an indoor snow place just 15mins away in the car
    If you are into other sports, all the main uni sports grounds are in the grounds of the vet school. Handy! As is a small (however houses the essentials) gym. There is also the main uni gym in the West End - £35 for the YEAR!
    The vet school isn't in the middle of nowhere (like all the rest) and it's close to a train station so you can be in town for under £2 in 10-15mins
    You can be on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond in 20 mins in the car (very pretty)
    It's a very cheap place to go out and live in
    You'll struggle to understand some of the Glaswegians but you get there
    It rains. A lot.
    The vet school has just built a brand spankin' new small animal hospital which I recently had a tour round. Very impressive, radiotherapy, MRI the lot
    In the first 3 years you have exams at the end of every term. It's pretty bad. But you will have almost no written work throughout the whole 5years, with the exception of a few tutorials to prepare for. (Please note, this may be a little out of date as I know they have changed the course slightly since I started)
    The main uni looks like something out of Harry Potter, made my graduation photos look fabulous! You don't spend an awful lot of time there however, except for exams and I think they still do the odd lecture there in 1st and 2nd yr
    We have the BEST songs to sing for AVS and **** Day (the latter being a sports day/booze up with the Edinburgh vets). I'll give you a tease 'I'd rather be a tampon than a ****!'

So there is a summary! Anything else you'd like to know??!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Glasgow, so again, I may be biased when I saw go for here.

I got offers from both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and had a really tough time choosing between them as I was really impressed with both of them after getting tours around them.

First off Glasgow has the branddd new small animal hospital, which should be ready really soon. Also the vet school seemed closer to the main part of town than the one in Edinburgh, which seemed really far out of the way.

What really swung it for me was the atmosphere at Glasgow. In my Edinburgh interview they seemed very focussed on my grades etc, where as at Glasgow they seemed far more interested in me as a person, and that's the kind of feel I get from the vet school as a whole.

Anyway. I'd definitely say come to Glasgow. =] We work hard, we play harder. I'm just about to start my third year and I'm having such a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    Glasgow :p:

I've just finished my time there and had the best five years ever! (But then I would say that!) I haven't been to Edinburgh vet school since I got into Glasgow so I'm 100% biased!

Go to the open days, and if you can't manage that, visit the cities. You'll (hopefully!) be spending five long years there so you've gotta like the place!

Things about Glasgow vet school:
    It's very, very, very friendly
    The local pub on friday night is the only place to be
    The nightlife in the west end and the city centre is awesome
    If you are into music, every decent band plays Glasgow
    If you are into snowsports, there is an indoor snow place just 15mins away in the car
    If you are into other sports, all the main uni sports grounds are in the grounds of the vet school. Handy! As is a small (however houses the essentials) gym. There is also the main uni gym in the West End - £35 for the YEAR!
    The vet school isn't in the middle of nowhere (like all the rest) and it's close to a train station so you can be in town for under £2 in 10-15mins
    You can be on the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond in 20 mins in the car (very pretty)
    It's a very cheap place to go out and live in
    You'll struggle to understand some of the Glaswegians but you get there
    It rains. A lot.
    The vet school has just built a brand spankin' new small animal hospital which I recently had a tour round. Very impressive, radiotherapy, MRI the lot
    In the first 3 years you have exams at the end of every term. It's pretty bad. But you will have almost no written work throughout the whole 5years, with the exception of a few tutorials to prepare for. (Please note, this may be a little out of date as I know they have changed the course slightly since I started)
    The main uni looks like something out of Harry Potter, made my graduation photos look fabulous! You don't spend an awful lot of time there however, except for exams and I think they still do the odd lecture there in 1st and 2nd yr
    We have the BEST songs to sing for AVS and **** Day (the latter being a sports day/booze up with the Edinburgh vets). I'll give you a tease 'I'd rather be a tampon than a ****!'

So there is a summary! Anything else you'd like to know??!
    oh wow this is the best convincing reply so far. haha! very useful information.. thank you!!

any **** vet wana challenge that? =p

ReputationRep:
    oh and anyone knows the difference between glasgow and edinburgh, exam-wise/coursework-wise?

i am planning to go to the open days to see for myself, but I'm also widely interested in other people's opinion. like, the goodies and baddies of both universities, only known to vet students? =p

ReputationRep:
    Im in a similar position.. think i should only pply to ONE scottish Uni... but i can only get to the edinburgh open day... if i really like ill apply there.. if im not so sure ill go for glasgow
    may go for both.. depends on grades...

1 WEEK TODAY GUYS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    1 WEEK TODAY GUYS
    Good luck
    I'm counting down too; the minute results are out is when Liv will send us our welcome packs :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Yep what SlipperyWhenWet said about work is true (well im only going into third year, but have had so little work). Its as though the uni want you to work in a way that suits you best, and I know if i had homework I wouldnt have done so well as Id have no time for my own notes! The exams 3x a year is a bit rubbish but I know it kicks us all into work so we actually learn something!
    I prefered the cities themselves, as well as the unis. I went to both open days within 2days of each other, Glasgow was so friendly, and whenever I visit Edinburgh now, its just full of tourists and no friendly locals.
    But yeah, Id say Glasgow, the small animal hospital looks awesome, just cycled past it! Talking of which, getting to the vet school is easy peasy. I live in the town centre and can either get a 30min bus, a short train or cycle along the canal away from the cars for 20mins.

ReputationRep:
    Well now I think I want to pipe up for Edinburgh :tongue:

* The Edinburgh open day was better than the Glasgow one. There was more time to get a feel of the place and meet other applicants There was also nice touches such as inviting the parents to meet staff while everyone enjoyed tea and biscuits and being able to properly explore the place (In glasgow the girl that showed my group around was a 1st year so hadn't a grip on the whole place because she hadn't done some things like the p/m place). We were also asked questions along the way about cases and had things explained to us.

* Its rated Number one for research in the UK by the RCVS

* It has a Rabbit Vet - How cool is that!!!

* Summerhall is one of the most beautiful buildings I've seen with an old wooden staircase, stained glass windows, an amazing dissection room, the oldest lecture theatre in the UK etc

* Easterbush is out in the country which is a PLUS point because you actually feel like you are going to be a vet (LA granted )

* The bus stops 10m from the entrance to Easterbush.

* The Roslin and SAC are all out at Easterbush

* You can call yourself a **** and be proud :yep:

* Unlike Glasgow (imo) Edinburgh is close to the countryside so its easy to get away

* Portabello is nearby - BEACH!!!

* Good public transport with trams to come

* People are really friendly Although I'm sure Glasgiw has this too!

* It has history and several vet schools can be traced back to the **** Vet.

* Nightlife is good with lots of music taste catered for

* The Edinburgh fringe and festival along with book, film, trad etc etc

* The city is amazing! It has a castle!!!

* The interview was awesome really They were really nice and didn't push for info like other vet schools I could mention. Glasgow were nice too but I felt it was less organised and I'm an organised person.

I could go on but really OP we can't make your mind up. You really have visit both and then decide. You're going to be happy at any vet school :yep:

Also if the tickets are booked up for the open day at Edinburgh then I guess you should contact them and say if any spaces become available then you'll have them???

x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xFuture_Vetx)

* Unlike Glasgow (imo) Edinburgh is close to the countryside so its easy to get away
    I would just like to say that i think glasgow is wayyyyyy closer to the countryside than edinburgh! Glasgow is 30mins away from loch lomond and on direct bus and train routes to the western isles. Also the countryside around Glasgow is so much better. Edinburgh countryside is pretty flat and very very busy! Glasgow is so much more beautiful and actually looks like proper scotland once you're 30mins out the centre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigercallie)
    I would just like to say that i think glasgow is wayyyyyy closer to the countryside than edinburgh! Glasgow is 30mins away from loch lomond and on direct bus and train routes to the western isles. Also the countryside around Glasgow is so much better. Edinburgh countryside is pretty flat and very very busy! Glasgow is so much more beautiful and actually looks like proper scotland once you're 30mins out the centre!

Yeah I agree, the first time I went to Cochno (the university farm, a 30min bus ride from vet school), I was like WTF we're in the wilderness all of a sudden! It looks like Wuthering Heights or something, its a massive manor house.
    Plus I went on a bike ride to a country park the other day, (Mugdock park), only 5miles from the vet school. and it had TWO castles :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.