Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making the most of the figure you were given Watch

ReputationRep:
    Opinions on my optimum figure - please

I have been everything from 6 stone and skinny to 10 stone and obviously overweight. I have been through 3 distinct phases and these appear to be my 'options'. Please note that I am 5'0 and have no chance of being hourglass shaped.

Stage 1 - Slim, size 6/8, 7 stone. No definition and very child looking.

Stage 2 - Toned. Had definition in my arms, legs and back but still maintained my 'square' figure and weighed a bit more. Still about size 8. Looked more boyish, less childish, definitely not womanly.

Stage 3 - Had boobs, hips were a little bit more prominent, lost definition etc but still didn't have a waistline. A little more womanly but nothing terribly flattering. Weighed about 8-8.5 stone was about size 10.

Ladies - would being boy shaped be an issue to you? Would you still be happy knowing you are fit? Would you prefer to look more womanly if it meant being less fit? What would you go for out of these options? Do I actually have other options?

ReputationRep:
    I have small boobs and a fat arse.

You are get what you are given it's not all about looking 'womanly' and having big boobs and an hourglass figure. I wouldn't sacrifice my health to have boobs or to lose weight. Be healthy and work with the shape that you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PirateFlag)
    I have small boobs and a fat arse.

You are get what you are given it's not all about looking 'womanly' and having big boobs and an hourglass figure. I wouldn't sacrifice my health to have boobs or to lose weight. Be healthy and work with the shape that you get.
    I definitely wana be (and look) healthy! It's just that I know that when I was healthy - had a good diet and exercised a little - I looked quite childish Being small doesn't help!

I was thinking that maybe I'd look less childish - and stupid imo - if I just went for the whole toned look. I just kind of look like a gymnast that way - I used to be one I'm not being big headed But I stil feel boyish, which obviously isn't ideal! Probably the best option I have though...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, the grass is always greener!
    I'm hourglass, and would kill for a toned stomach and samaller boobs!
    OP, where did you feel happiest and healthiest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I definitely wana be (and look) healthy! It's just that I know that when I was healthy - had a good diet and exercised a little - I looked quite childish Being small doesn't help!

I was thinking that maybe I'd look less childish - and stupid imo - if I just went for the whole toned look. I just kind of look like a gymnast that way - I used to be one I'm not being big headed But I stil feel boyish, which obviously isn't ideal! Probably the best option I have though...
    There is nothing wrong with boyish look at Keira Knightley she is absolutely stunning. There is more to being a woman that hips tits and arse. If you had a good diet and did some exercise and you body looks boyish then that may be the cards that you are dealt. I can completely sympathise i had a stupid idea that if i ate loads then i would get some boobs and some curves and it didnt work i just felt bloated and gross! I bet you look lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Hehe, the grass is always greener!
    I'm hourglass, and would kill for a toned stomach and samaller boobs!
    OP, where did you feel happiest and healthiest?
    Erm, I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I think because I was always not quite happy with something!!! Right now I am absolutely fuming with myself for getting overweight and I'd be happy with any of those figures back!!

I think to be honest, because I was so active back in the day and absolutely loved being capable of doing things such as lifts/chin ups etc, I'd go for the toned shape. I am just so worried that I will put all this effort and time in and end up feeling boyish! Althogh I do think, given that I actually get there, this would be a lifestyle change which would stick. Whereas being slim - low fat and not a lot muscle - could cause rebounds. A bit like natalie cassidy...

ReputationRep:
    Well if it was a simple case of putting on a couple of stone and becoming an hourglass shape, or being really slim and having a boyish figure - then I'd much rather put on the extra weight.

But you shouldn't aim for something you can't get. And you can't change your body shape. So if I were in your position I'd probably find someone whos got a boyish figure who you aspire to look like e.g. Keira Knightley/Agyness Deyn/someone heavier than them, and then aim for that kind of shape.

ReputationRep:
    I have to ask... at which stage could you look in the mirror, and think 'yeah, I'm happy'?

The way I see it, is that you have to be comfortable with your own body. There's no point wishing you were something else because you're not and you never will be. Like you said; making the most of the figure you were given. I personally think you should get to a weight that you're 100% comfortable with FOR YOU. It's not about looking more womanly, if you're not born that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x Kris x)
    Well if it was a simple case of putting on a couple of stone and becoming an hourglass shape, or being really slim and having a boyish figure - then I'd much rather put on the extra weight.

But you shouldn't aim for something you can't get. And you can't change your body shape. So if I were in your position I'd probably find someone whos got a boyish figure who you aspire to look like e.g. Keira Knightley/Agyness Deyn/someone heavier than them, and then aim for that kind of shape.
    I've never thought of keira knightley as having a boyish figure Has she really? I just though of her as being petite and slim... I actually think she's really gorgeous but that could be because she's pretty too :p:

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I have to ask... at which stage could you look in the mirror, and think 'yeah, I'm happy'?

The way I see it, is that you have to be comfortable with your own body. There's no point wishing you were something else because you're not and you never will be. Like you said; making the most of the figure you were given. I personally think you should get to a weight that you're 100% comfortable with FOR YOU. It's not about looking more womanly, if you're not born that way.
    Yeh I completely agree. This is kind of why I'm asking for opinions, thought maybe it would help me decide. I think putting looks aside for a second, I wana be the fit, athletic person (not just shape) that I used to be. And it also feels really good, and is something to be proud of with all the work that it takes. Does this sound sensible? But there's still a little part of me that enjoys the boobs and bum. Although I guess I was never exactly flat chested... I probably just feel like I was now my boobs have grown due to the horrible weight gain. Maybe I should focus more on fitness level than body shape - seeing as I know I'm capable of making really big changes in this area.

ReputationRep:
    To me, being fit and healthy is so much more important than how I look. I never ever used to care about my health or fitness - back when I was fat and unfit. Now I'm slimmer, healthier and fitter, it's so important to me. I'd rather be fit and healthy and able to run up the stairs without panting like a dog, than be 'curvy' and womanly yet unfit.

It's entirely up to you. Although you do sound like you already know what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really skinny and slightly ill looking. I really want to gain weight, just so I don't look like a skeleton any more. Not necessarily have curves (don't think I'll ever get that far), but maybe not able to see my bones any more.

ReputationRep:
    Op, I completely sympathise with you!!
    I'm around 5ft short as well, get down to 7 stone and I'm pretty much flat all over, lose my boobs, all my size 8-10 clothes are way too big, get too heavy and I'm all about the big hips and bum
    At the moment I'm a healthy weight around 7st 8 or something, quite happy with my body but would like to lose about 5lb and I'd be 100% happy
    I think I'd most like to be toned, fit and a size 8 if I were you, but if you like a more womanly figure, then go for it. Focus on being healthy, because that is what is most attractive to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Op, I completely sympathise with you!!
    I'm around 5ft short as well, get down to 7 stone and I'm pretty much flat all over, lose my boobs, all my size 8-10 clothes are way too big, get too heavy and I'm all about the big hips and bum
    At the moment I'm a healthy weight around 7st 8 or something, quite happy with my body but would like to lose about 5lb and I'd be 100% happy
    I think I'd most like to be toned, fit and a size 8 if I were you, but if you like a more womanly figure, then go for it. Focus on being healthy, because that is what is most attractive to other people.
    Well I never have looked really womanly and I know I never will. Plus getting to where I was size 10 (with C cup boobs and bigger bum) would hardly be fit or life changing so I think it'd be too easy to slip away from if you get me!

In all fairness, I'm not trying to please anyone but myself. I had most male attention when I was size 10 (as just mentioned) but I think I would be way happier to be the toned person. So what if I look a little boyish... I can look girly in dresses and by covering up my 'squareness' right? And I'd be a lot healthier so I'd probably feel great too, not just feel like I'm 'making do'.

Anyway, I'm off for a run - New training programme *courtesy of powerlifter* to improve my fitness levels which starts today!!

*Any encouragement would be great!!! :bigsmile: Seeing as my parents are actually taking gthe piss and telling me I can't do it :bawling:*

Might make a blog seeing as I'm waiting and hoping for the rain to pass!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to your parents!! Just go for it and let us know how it goes for you
    I wouldn't mind if you could share the fitness programme with me, also...hehe.
    Anyway, you're going to look great, size 8 is perfect for our height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Don't listen to your parents!! Just go for it and let us know how it goes for you
    I wouldn't mind if you could share the fitness programme with me, also...hehe.
    Anyway, you're going to look great, size 8 is perfect for our height
    Thanks hun. I've started a fitness blog, it's titled 'fit > fat by S.L.A' - I know it's a lame title but I was more bothered about the content. Plus it's more to help me track my progress than to give people a read :p:

I'm doing a HIIT regime, so everything is sort of short intense workouts. All I have in mind at the time is 'citius, altius, fortius' :p: *geek*

But yeh, I'm gona try it for a few weeks and see what progress I make Plus I'm gona be earning soon so I'm gona be buying in all the fresh, raw foods I love to cook with which will benefit me even more.

If you want to know more about the programme I'm using, PM me

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is...at least you're not wonky like me :'-( No seriously my sides are different. One side curves in the out where my pelvis is and the other side is straight down. I mean wtf is going on there?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    All I can say is...at least you're not wonky like me :'-( No seriously my sides are different. One side curves in the out where my pelvis is and the other side is straight down. I mean wtf is going on there?!
    Oh no that's a bit bizarre Have doctors told you anything about what it might be caused by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Oh no that's a bit bizarre Have doctors told you anything about what it might be caused by?
    I havn't been yet. My ribs are messed up on the left side. Sometimes it feels as though the ribs are rubbing on my hips or something. Maybe I have one leg slightly shorter than the other? I had a plaster on it because a broken knee for weeks...don't know if that can stop growth though haha. It's very weird.

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean about the different sizes. just over a year ago i was massively overweight at 18stone i went down to 12stone where i looked my best but didnt feel it i went back upto pretty medium build at 13stone-ish were i felt more comfortable but i didnt like the way i looked so im back slimming again to get down to 12 or maybe as far as 11stone. it is so hard to decide where you want your body to be at

ReputationRep:
    Get skinny. Get a boob job. Both problems solved.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.