Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You're 22 get a grip!

Be an adult and tell him.

(Original post by ladydeborah)
    You don't have to tell them the truth if they wont find out. My mum didn't want my grandad knowing when i lived with my ex as he is oldfashioned, so i said i lived with friends. Even now i'm living on my own, i'm not allowed to tell him the truth as he'd get scared of me living on my own. There isn't much point causing trouble with parents if they wont find out.
    What about the virtues of good old honesty?

ReputationRep:
    He already knows.

ReputationRep:
    I would talk to you're parents really, it's not much fun sneaking around. Still, it's easier said than done, when I visit my bf i still get put in the spare room because he won't tell them that he's sharing a bed with me (they are very religious.)

It could be worse, when my mum was my age, my grandad wouldn't let my dad sleep in the same room as her, and didn't know she did until she was pregnant with me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Okay well just tell them.
    You're saying you're worried, I'm saying tell them, then you're saying it won't even be a big deal.
    sorry i know i should tell them.

My problem is that im guilty of telling him lies. Felt like i've committed some crime...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttercup_26)
    I would talk to you're parents really, it's not much fun sneaking around. Still, it's easier said than done, when I visit my bf i still get put in the spare room because he won't tell them that he's sharing a bed with me (they are very religious.)

It could be worse, when my mum was my age, my grandad wouldn't let my dad sleep in the same room as her, and didn't know she did until she was pregnant with me!!
    same. i get put in saperat room in my bf's house. His mum knows we're moving in, but im still getting that spare room lol. His mum's quite religious, in a good way. And i respect that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedstacker)
    sorry i know i should tell them.

My problem is that im guilty of telling him lies. Felt like i've committed some crime...
    You haven't done anything that bad, it's unstandable that you don't want your parents to think bad of you. If I was you I'd just sit down with them and say you apologise for lying, you know you shouldn't have done but you were scared of their reaction and you just want to be as honest as possible with them now. Say you can understand if they're angry you lied but you're an adult now and living away from them so unfortunately it's up to you to decide things like this.

I just think you'll feel worse and worse as time goes on which is why I'm trying to persuade you to tell them sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    You haven't done anything that bad, it's unstandable that you don't want your parents to think bad of you. If I was you I'd just sit down with them and say you apologise for lying, you know you shouldn't have done but you were scared of their reaction and you just want to be as honest as possible with them now. Say you can understand if they're angry you lied but you're an adult now and living away from them so unfortunately it's up to you to decide things like this.

I just think you'll feel worse and worse as time goes on which is why I'm trying to persuade you to tell them sooner rather than later.
    thanks. I know what u mean. I wish i have the courage to do...I'm such a coward.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the phone earlier to my dad about me moving to a private flat with my bf and the other friend. I told him it's a 3 bedroom falt, but it wasnt... It was 2 bouble bedrooms and a small study room. He asked if I'm going to share room (with my bf) i said no, since it's supose to be a 3 bed room falt ...

He's very old fashioned minded, and obviously doesnt like the idea of me sleeping on the same bed as my bf, never mind more... But man, we've been going out for 1 year and 8 months. He's 23 im 22!! I really like to be honest with my family about my relationship status, i dont want to lie to them. But they're being difficult and i dont want to cause any problem or hurt their felings.

I posted here before asking how i should tel my parents about me moving in with my bf. I'm ashamed that i'm not brave enough to tell them the truth.
    I'd say best cure is to let your dad know. Reason why i say this, if your leaving this until later, it makes matter worse. The longer you'll leave it, the longer you'll lie to yourself also. I'm not sure how your dad may react but all i can say good luck.

I'll give some words of couragement: No one will help you, you must stand on your own two feet first.

22 and 23, believe it or not, its an young age still. Your dad just cares alot about you, just bare that in mind. It may annoy you that he may be overprotective but i'd be glad you have such a dad like that yours. Not many people have dad's like that.

ReputationRep:
    easier to say. the reason i lied to him than telling the truth is because i dont want to upset him. He has done a lots for my family, and he's paying my rediculous tuition fees (£10900 per year) at uni. I'm supose to be a good girl, studying hard at uni... Not being in a relationship and ...more... Having to do a resit this summer is bad enough ...never mind to tell him im going to SHARE A BED with my bf. I'm greatful of what he's done for me, therefore i rather lie to him than to make him sad or disspaoint him.
    Ahh, I see why you want to stay on the good side of Daddy then.. :p: Ah well, life goes on - do what you please.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the phone earlier to my dad about me moving to a private flat with my bf and the other friend. I told him it's a 3 bedroom falt, but it wasnt... It was 2 bouble bedrooms and a small study room. He asked if I'm going to share room (with my bf) i said no, since it's supose to be a 3 bed room falt ...

He's very old fashioned minded, and obviously doesnt like the idea of me sleeping on the same bed as my bf, never mind more... But man, we've been going out for 1 year and 8 months. He's 23 im 22!! I really like to be honest with my family about my relationship status, i dont want to lie to them. But they're being difficult and i dont want to cause any problem or hurt their felings.

I posted here before asking how i should tel my parents about me moving in with my bf. I'm ashamed that i'm not brave enough to tell them the truth.
    you just have to talk to him and explain whats happening. Tbh he might not change his mind, and still hate you sleeping together, but your an adult. You can make your own decisions. My parents arent comfortable with me and my boyfriend sleeping together, and weve been together 2 years, but they accept its a normal part of a long term relationship. So they respect that im an adult and allow it to happen (just not in their house), and i respect their wishes by my boyfriend sleeping in the spare room when we stay at my house. (but this is why we usually end up staying at his instead hehe)! we are living together next year in a 1bedroom flat, and my parents, although arent ok with it, accept it. Good luck with talking to your dad.

ReputationRep:
    i hope ur bf dump u for your best friend and ur dad beats the **** outta u! haha

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure they haven't already guessed and are too embarassed to bring it up? Either way, just sit them down tell them the whole truth, but don't make it seem like you're asking permission; let them know you're in charge! They can't exactly do anything about it so unless they want to loose you they'll have to get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Are you sure they haven't already guessed and are too embarassed to bring it up? Either way, just sit them down tell them the whole truth, but don't make it seem like you're asking permission; let them know you're in charge! They can't exactly do anything about it so unless they want to loose you they'll have to get over it!
    I've been brought up to be obedient. I'm from a chinese family, so they're pretty strict on pretty much everything.

ReputationRep:
    But your like 22? If the guilt is so overpowering tell him, if its not dont. Jeez :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've been brought up to be obedient. I'm from a chinese family, so they're pretty strict on pretty much everything.
    Well unless you want to be lying to them about everything, you're going to have to tell him the truth at some point. They can't control who you live and share a bed with, and if you don't want to live their way anymore you have to let them know that, unless you want to feel guilty everytime you speak to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think your father knows and was just trying to see if you'd lie to his face. You have to tell him. He'll find out eventually and that's not a big deal, you're 22 and so not a child anymore..

ReputationRep:
    lol, you are 22... he is a bit naive isnt he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    Wow, that's sad. You're both 22 and 23, you're in your own place with your boyfriend of almost 2 years - and your parents still think they are allowed and have the ability to control your relationship and sex life and not let you sleep in the same bed?
    You dont understand, you wernt there.

http://img2.pict.com/f9/a2/ab/1342447/0/a4oihl.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    You dont understand, you wernt there.
    Don't think you know what you're talking about.. :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.