The Student Room Group

Accelerated Standard Grades

So at my old school this year they've just finished implementing the first session of Standard Grades a year early -effectively cutting out what most of us knew as 2nd year - and my sister happened to be a member of this year. A few problems have arisen:

Continuous subjects such as langauges, Maths and English have suffered severely without the extra year of developing skills

Pupils are less likely to know what they want to do in life and make accurate standard grade choices at the end of first year than at the end of second year after having explored all the subjects more thoroughly. This has become a problem with the creative faculty refusing outright to accept pupils who've not done standard grade.

More pupils are less mature and less motivated.

Regardless of their achievements at Standard Grade level, pupils are now required to sit two-year highers even where they could be capable of them in one year.

The resulting slightly lower spectrum of results due to the system are not always accounted for by universities, which may be a problem for pupils who may be aiming high.

Personally, I'm slightly jealous of those people who got to sit the standard grades a year early as I know personally I would have been capable of sitting them a year early as well as I did at the normal time. I do know though that 2nd year is very important for a lot of people and missing it out would be a big mistake.

What do you think? Did you do your standard grades early or at the "normal time"? Do you know anyone who did them early... yada yada yada?

EDIT: Now that I remember. Did any of you get to do fasttrack? In 3rd year my eccentric music teacher promised it to two of us at parents evening saying we "were already more than ready for higher" although it never happened because the head alledgedly disallowed it. Last year, however they broke that rule and now let people fastrack higher music, although it's not happened in any other subjects. Did you get to fasttrack any standard grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I don't think it is a good idea.
Sitting exams in 3rd year when they're still kids? Its unfair.
If someone in that year group is smart enought to sit exams a year early, they should be put forward a year.

At the same time, I feel I may have been capable of this and feel a slight envy towards those who have been given the chance to do this.

My school doesn't offer any fast track exams and won't allow any pupil in 4th year or under to sit int 2s. I always wish I could have fast tracked art and sat the Advanced Higher in my 5th year.
Reply 2
I think it should be kept the way it is. SG does cover a lot more than Int 2. That sorta system fails to recognise people who don't want to do highers, and it just seems like there would be too much testing from such a young age.
Reply 3
when i was in 3rd year, a group of us were given the opportunity to sit int 2 maths - with the right teacher, we managed 25 As and 1B in the class.
so to me, i think it works, however, 2nd year to way to early...and maths is compulsory so i think it doesnt really matter as long as the pupils are ready for it.
(however, doing a higher over 2 years lowers the credibility of it...)
x
I think fast tracking standard grade and then doing 2 year highers is completely insane.
Reply 5
Meteorshower
I think fast tracking standard grade and then doing 2 year highers is completely insane.

i think fast tracking all standard grades is silly, but why do you think it is insane?

just wondered, im not being argumentative :smile:
x
emilyy_
i think fast tracking all standard grades is silly, but why do you think it is insane?

just wondered, im not being argumentative :smile:
x

I'm not sure that fast tracking standard grades is a bad idea, I think there are probably some cases where it's beneficial (not sure about doing it en-masse though) but to then do highers over two years is crazy. The amount of information in a higher course is not sufficient to justify studying it for two years, and it will remove all the benefits which are associated with being able to learn a good deal of information in the time space, and working under pressure. Unnecessary pressure isn't good, but you need to learn to deal with it at some point in your life!

Skipping 2nd year seems a bit weird to me too, how are pupils at the end of 1st year meant to know what standard grades to pick? I think it's a big decision, and to have it earlier seems a bit rash.
Reply 7
Meteorshower
I'm not sure that fast tracking standard grades is a bad idea, I think there are probably some cases where it's beneficial (not sure about doing it en-masse though) but to then do highers over two years is crazy. The amount of information in a higher course is not sufficient to justify studying it for two years, and it will remove all the benefits which are associated with being able to learn a good deal of information in the time space, and working under pressure. Unnecessary pressure isn't good, but you need to learn to deal with it at some point in your life!

Skipping 2nd year seems a bit weird to me too, how are pupils at the end of 1st year meant to know what standard grades to pick? I think it's a big decision, and to have it earlier seems a bit rash.

yes, well the argument was at my school that if we had two years to do higher maths, we'd have time to practice the types of questions.

but i understand where you are coming from, doing a higher over one year and getting a good grade in it makes much more sense than spending two years basically memorising all the courses.
x
Reply 8
I don't think it's a good idea. The early years are usually best for developing general problem solving skills/a good work ethic etc, it shouldn't be a time to be worrying about exams. The standard grades should be sat in 4th year as normal.
I don't know if it counts, but I took crash Higher Physics (fast track) in 6th year. But that was fine because I was obviously already comfortable with preparing for/sitting exams.
emilyy_
yes, well the argument was at my school that if we had two years to do higher maths, we'd have time to practice the types of questions.

but i understand where you are coming from, doing a higher over one year and getting a good grade in it makes much more sense than spending two years basically memorising all the courses.
x

Yeah, what i'm basically saying is that a whole extra year for it isn't worth it for the benefit.
Reply 10
Meteorshower
Yeah, what i'm basically saying is that a whole extra year for it isn't worth it for the benefit.

i agree, if you are going to do well with two years, you should still do well with one.

ps. not relevant to this thread but i am thinking about going to st. andrews :smile:
x
Reply 11
Well I have to say, I sat my Standard Grades a year early (S2 - S3) and its the best thing thats every happened to me education wise. I had no problems with the work load and it taught me skills that i could adapt quicker when Highers came around. I ended up with AA111112.

We then did highers over two years and it was great, there was so much time to do problems enforcing work in subjects such as Maths and Physics whereas the whole perosnal study and novels were much easier in english. Some people complained that there was too much free time but the two year thing helped me along to get AAABBB in my Highers :smile:. Better than I thought.
emilyy_
i agree, if you are going to do well with two years, you should still do well with one.

ps. not relevant to this thread but i am thinking about going to st. andrews :smile:
x

Ah cool! If you have any questions about that or whatever you can pm me if you want :smile:
Reply 13
Meteorshower
Ah cool! If you have any questions about that or whatever you can pm me if you want :smile:

thank you!
i will take you up on that.
i'll be going in 2010 though :smile:
x
StuartMill
whereas the whole perosnal study and novels were much easier in english.

Why should we alter qualifications to make them "easier"?
My school have just totally changed the way you do your standard grades... with my year being the first that it will effect.

In S2 you can choose subjects but not a credited course. In S3 you then choose more subjects but not at a credited level, apart from art, woodwork, he, french, college. These courses last a year.

SG Maths + English is still done over S3 = S4. However, you choose the remaining 3 subjects to do in S4 in one year. We can SG's Int 2's or Int 1's.

We will still end up with 7 subjects. A lot of our teachers have been debating this, but personally I think its a good idea because you have more time to choose which subjects you like, having done them in S2/3, before making the commintent of studying them.
StuartMill
Well I have to say, I sat my Standard Grades a year early (S2 - S3) and its the best thing thats every happened to me education wise. I had no problems with the work load and it taught me skills that i could adapt quicker when Highers came around. I ended up with AA111112.

We then did highers over two years and it was great, there was so much time to do problems enforcing work in subjects such as Maths and Physics whereas the whole perosnal study and novels were much easier in english. Some people complained that there was too much free time but the two year thing helped me along to get AAABBB in my Highers :smile:. Better than I thought.

Did you not get bored?

Well done on those results by the way.
I was bored as hell by the end of highers and i'd only done them one year :O
Reply 18
So do the two year Highers have the same content as the original Highers, just spread over two years, no extra topics or anything? Is that really necessary? Besides, I was so glad to be rid of English after just one year...
Reply 19
Tbh, I think there will be a lot of time doing nothing. Highers fit perfectly into a year.

And I found a year bad enough, let alone two...

Latest

Trending

Trending