Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against fasttracking SGs, but 2 year Highers are pointless, I would say, unless they revised the courses completely and padded them out a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    I've just done SG's a year early, got 5 1's and 3 2's, although I could have probably got 8 1's if i studied more, I'm glad we done them a year early, although I am not looking forward to 2 year highers, my school won't even let us take more than 5. My teachers have said we will look at the work more "in depth" but I still don't see how it will fill two years. The only subject we will be doing anything extra in is an optional internet safety unit in Higher computing that will get us extra credit. I think it's all just a waste of time relly, we could be spending more time on advanced highers or more highers instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Tbh, I think there will be a lot of time doing nothing. Highers fit perfectly into a year.

And I found a year bad enough, let alone two...
    But isn't there the whole "two-term dash" thing with highers? A lot of people say there is tons to cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asymptote)
    [*]Pupils are less likely to know what they want to do in life and make accurate standard grade choices at the end of first year than at the end of second year after having explored all the subjects more thoroughly. This has become a problem with the creative faculty refusing outright to accept pupils who've not done standard grade.
    This is a big enough issue already without having to make the subject choices a year early. When I was in 2nd year and we were making our choices, our year head gave us an assembly where she basically shouted at us that we HAD to choose our career NOW because we'd have no chance to change track. She was probably just trying to scare us, but for 2nd years with no clue about the "flexibility" (there's a better word than that?) of highers, as in the ability to keep your options open up to 6th year, it's pretty daunting. I'm sure most 1st years would have even more trouble trying to decide - it's just too early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    But isn't there the whole "two-term dash" thing with highers? A lot of people say there is tons to cover.
    Well I never found that but my teachers kept at a quick pace. If you missed anything you were expected to catch up in your own time and they would never go back over anything in class. We got about 4 and a half hours a week for each higher, I'm not sure if thats more than other schools?

ReputationRep:
    If they think people are too smart for 2 year SG then they should do 2 year Int2's instead. That's what we did at our school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Well I never found that but my teachers kept at a quick pace. If you missed anything you were expected to catch up in your own time and they would never go back over anything in class. We got about 4 and a half hours a week for each higher, I'm not sure if thats more than other schools?
    We got 6 50-minute periods a week for each higher. The years before, it was only 5 periods a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    We got 6 50-minute periods a week for each higher. The years before, it was only 5 periods a week.
    My school was the exact opposite. Previous years got 6 50-minute periods a week. My year were the first year to only get 5 50-minute periods, which was the year just gone. We managed the courses in time, altough some, such as chemistry, were still teaching until around a week before study leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E-S-O)
    My school was the exact opposite. Previous years got 6 50-minute periods a week. My year were the first year to only get 5 50-minute periods, which was the year just gone. We managed the courses in time, altough some, such as chemistry, were still teaching until around a week before study leave.
    That's a bit of a bugger. I think our council made the schools change from a 30-period week to a 33-period week and apparently my school was one of the last to change. I found it really helpful though, as we ended up with a fair bit of time to do past papers and general revision. I even got 2 double periods of chemistry a week which, hellish as they were, were great for the PPAs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Did you not get bored?

Well done on those results by the way.
    Thanks and no, I didn't get bored. Probably because I wasn't used to anything else.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.