Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post23538761

Thread for the open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Congrats fellow philosopher
    Thanks man, hope you get your first choice.
    If not, see you in Aberdeen!

ReputationRep:
    Interview for primary ed tommorow...eeek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottishGirl)
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucantoni)
    Good Luck
    thanks , i think it went ok hear in 2-3 weeks so hopefully its good news! and i notice you are from the "land of reindeer stew" when i was in norway had Elk which i had never even heard of before i went there lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we can start applying for accomodation? I tried already but on the online application for it said that the lease dates were for 2009-2010 so I stopped because obviously that wouldnt be for 2010 entry.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NicolePickle)
    Does anyone know when we can start applying for accomodation? I tried already but on the online application for it said that the lease dates were for 2009-2010 so I stopped because obviously that wouldnt be for 2010 entry.
    Hey. Emailed them about another issue and they said "If you firmly accept an offer to study here you will be sent a student ID number and information on applying for accommodation round about May/June".

(Original post by scottishGirl)
    Congratulations!

How did it go? :woo:

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Hey. Emailed them about another issue and they said "If you firmly accept an offer to study here you will be sent a student ID number and information on applying for accommodation round about May/June".

Thanks!

I guess I don't have to call them.. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Thanks!

I guess I don't have to call them.. :ninja:
    Call them anyway.
    I'm sure they're awaiting a call from you

ReputationRep:
    Argh. I got an offer from Edinburgh today! I'm now totally confused as to where I want to go. I was set on Glasgow/Aberdeen firm, Stirling insurance. But now I've got Edinburgh. Eek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Argh. I got an offer from Edinburgh today! I'm now totally confused as to where I want to go. I was set on Glasgow/Aberdeen firm, Stirling insurance. But now I've got Edinburgh. Eek.

Glasgow>Aberdeen>Stirling>Edinbu rgh

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Aberdeen for Linguistics. That's my insurance sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Glasgow>Aberdeen>Stirling>Edinbu rgh
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty gutted that im going to be having to travel to Glasgow every time i want to go to a gig. Considering my music is alternative/metal/goth. Anything like that happen up in Aberdeen or is Glasgow my only option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    Im pretty gutted that im going to be having to travel to Glasgow every time i want to go to a gig. Considering my music is alternative/metal/goth. Anything like that happen up in Aberdeen or is Glasgow my only option?
    Apparently Aberdeen has a fairly good music scene considering how far north it is. I'm not sure about metal or goth stuff, but it does have some music venues and stuff. Obviously the music scene won't be as good as Glasgow, but it's still pretty good as far as I know.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The AECC is where it's all at. The Killers have been quite a few times, and Kasabian as well. Franz Ferdinand did the music hall in November. For the goth/metal stuff you'd have to go elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a metal fan and their are loads of good bands that come here, just mostly not the 'big' ones. If you name some bands you like I can give you a rough indication. However if you mean Symphonic metal like Within Temptation (wonder where I got that from ) yeah you're gonna have to travel to Glasgow. Also Glasgow isn't that far away. About 3 hours by bus, although you will have to find a friend in Glasgow and stay overnight there or drive back cos their is no transport back to Aberdeen after about 9pm.

I've been here since September 07 and some bands to have played in Aberdeen are.... Alexisonfire, Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, Shai Hulud, Turisas, Norther, Alestorm, Dark Tranquillity, Misery Signals, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Oceansize (last Saturday!), Every Time I Die, Mayhem (yes.. a legendary black metal band did come to Aberdeen!), Funeral for a Friend, and plenty more UK based bands. Oh and if you're into the more NWOBHM type stuff ex Iron Maiden singer Blaze Bayley seems to come here with his band a lot. Is playing the Moorings at the end of this month. The Moorings is a small ish pub probs 250 capacity, and has an amazing drinks selection and a really good PA system, so it's actually a great venue!

We get touring UK metal bands all the time, and the UK metal scene is incredible at the moment... although depends what type of metal you like I suppose. For my tastes their is usually 2-3 gigs a month I will happily go to, although their are gigs almost every day of the week in a couple of venues. I just don't really like hardcore or the chug chug style metalcore, and we have ********* of those type of bands here!

Also Aberdeen has a metal band signed to Basick Records (the BEST label in the UK by a MILE!!!!) called My Minds Weapon and I've seen them loads of times! They are looking for a new vocalist atm but when they find one they will probably play at least once a month. I know guys from a fair number of the local bands and their are quite a lot of new projects on the go that aren't quite bands yet either.... but if you're into power metal, symphonic metal or 'gothic' stuff (note i have no idea what that means! the only goths I know seem to like darkwave and industrial!) then in the way of local bands isn't much. Is a power metal band called Ascension but they are absolutely awful in my opinion.

As I've said for the 'bigger' acts you will have to go to Glasgow though. Eg I'm going to see Between the Buried and Me in Glasgow on Thursday (lamb of god headlining but I don't care about them :p:) and I'm going to see Fightstar in a fairly small venue in Edinburgh on Saturday, but I'm from Edinburgh so free accommodation :woo:

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    The AECC is where it's all at. The Killers have been quite a few times, and Kasabian as well. Franz Ferdinand did the music hall in November. For the goth/metal stuff you'd have to go elsewhere
    Only mainstream bands play at the AECC, for anyone else it's pretty worthless. I would never consider going to a gig there, and I go to at least 2-3 a month
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Only mainstream bands play at the AECC, for anyone else it's pretty worthless. I would never consider going to a gig there, and I go to at least 2-3 a month
    I know, but The Lemon Tree sometimes have some decent bands on, like Attack! Attack!. Not that many bigger acts come to Aberdeen, and the biggest in recent times is probably The Killers...or Lionel Richie. :teehee:
    I've had to go to Glasgow for the bigger bands most of the time, like Bon Jovi and Nickelback. Lostprophets and Florence and the Machine are doing Edinburgh, 30 Seconds to Mars are doing Glasgow. But I don't know much about less popular bands.

ReputationRep:
    I've been a little concerned about the music scene and nightlife too. There seems to be nothing in the way of dubstep / alternative dance music nights :boo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.