Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    I've been a little concerned about the music scene and nightlife too. There seems to be nothing in the way of dubstep / alternative dance music nights :boo:
    You've obviously never heard of Origin then http://www.myspace.com/originclub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    You've obviously never heard of Origin then http://www.myspace.com/originclub
    oh my days :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to see Fightstar in a fairly small venue in Edinburgh on Saturday, but I'm from Edinburgh so free accommodation :woo:
    Wow, another Fightstar fan, they're fairly hard to come by due to being shunned for having Charlie Simpson as a frontman. Seen them at in Newcastle recently and they were awesome. Heavily underrated band.

The nightlife in Aberdeen sounds good to me after doing a bit of research, seems a fair selection of clubs and it's not just places that play chart/RnB.
    Sure I seen it ranked #2 on a few polls for best student city.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a metal fan and their are loads of good bands that come here, just mostly not the 'big' ones. If you name some bands you like I can give you a rough indication. However if you mean Symphonic metal like Within Temptation (wonder where I got that from ) yeah you're gonna have to travel to Glasgow. Also Glasgow isn't that far away. About 3 hours by bus, although you will have to find a friend in Glasgow and stay overnight there or drive back cos their is no transport back to Aberdeen after about 9pm.
    Thanks, this was a great help.
    But yeah i am more into synphonic metal, Within Temptation/Lacuna Coil. Other bands i like are Funeral For Friend , Marilyn Manson, Papa Roach, them sort of bands really.
    I don't mind traveling to Glasgow, its just the expense, especially having to stay somewhere overnight, as i currently dont know anyone from Glasgow so that may be a problem.
    Another question; how about clubs etc? anything that plays mainly alternative music, or anywhere there are lots of metal fans or goths. Im so worried im going to be the only goth there! :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hare)
    Wow, another Fightstar fan, they're fairly hard to come by due to being shunned for having Charlie Simpson as a frontman. Seen them at in Newcastle recently and they were awesome. Heavily underrated band.

The nightlife in Aberdeen sounds good to me after doing a bit of research, seems a fair selection of clubs and it's not just places that play chart/RnB.
    Sure I seen it ranked #2 on a few polls for best student city.
    Anyone who judges a band based purely on that is a complete idiot. I dunno who exactly shunned them though, most of the snobby people seem to be the 'metalheads', and they don't normally like post hardcore anyway :p: The ultimate irony is my tastes are FAR heavier than most of these snobby types, but I just like other music as well. If they think singing is emo or something like that they can go crush themselves in their br00tal mosh pitz.

Oh and you can get good deals on travel... the return trip to Edinburgh is costing me a whopping £2.50 with megabus! It's normally more than that but I just seemed to get really lucky, I only booked the bus a month ago.

Yeah there are 2 clubs that have rock/metal nights on Friday, (Warehouse and Korova), Korova has a rock night on Saturday on the middle floor, Exodus has their rock nights on Monday (and a motown/ 60's/70's night on Tuesdays, which is the best night out in Aberdeen, I don't give a **** what anyone says!), and The Tunnels has launched a rock night on Wednesdays now as well I think. Then their is the Moorings and Bassments, bars that are generally more orientated towards the rocky crowd.

So in that respect we are quite well served I suppose! Also a fair number of crappy chart clubs though, just avoid Tiger Tiger, Priory and Liquid and you will be fine :yep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    Thanks, this was a great help.
    But yeah i am more into synphonic metal, Within Temptation/Lacuna Coil. Other bands i like are Funeral For Friend , Marilyn Manson, Papa Roach, them sort of bands really.
    I don't mind traveling to Glasgow, its just the expense, especially having to stay somewhere overnight, as i currently dont know anyone from Glasgow so that may be a problem.
    Another question; how about clubs etc? anything that plays mainly alternative music, or anywhere there are lots of metal fans or goths. Im so worried im going to be the only goth there! :|
    For any of those bands you will need to go to Glasgow, some of them could probably sell out a show at AECC, but I don't think it will have crossed the booking agents mind to do a gig here :p: Although My Chemical Romance played the AECC a couple of years back and I would never have expected them up here. Another bizarre gig was Enter Shikari playing at the music hall! Or Napalm Death playing at the Lemon Tree in 07!

Well there is a SYHA, in Glasgow, so that will be less than £20 a night, and it's in the West End, so maybe a bit too far to walk but from most venues in Glasgow will be <£10 taxi fare., I'm sure their was one a bit more central so might be worth while having a look if you see a gig you want to go to! Or if you can get friends to travel down with could share a travelodge or something, but will probably cost about the same or a bit more. As for travel down to Glasgow, Trains are about £20 return if you book in advance I think and the megabus is usually about £10 return if you book in advance, If you wait til about a week before you travel, and you travel at peak times, if will be nearer to £10 each way though.

As I mentioned in the above posts, are 4 days of the week that have rock/metal themed nights. From Sunday to Thursday the Moorings (the ace bar where you get 10% discount for dressing as a pirate ) they have a jukebox with a really big selection on it. Plus if you donate a legit CD to them (for licensing reasons they need to own a proper copy) they will stick it on the jukebox. It's 20p a song, so if you wanted you could just stick on anything for ages, but their will be other people in the pub of course, probably also choosing music! I've went in there before and but Nile, Carcass, stuff like that on before... so where else will you find tech death and grindcore on the jukebox? :p:

Bassment is also home to a lot of the alternative crowd too. You most certainly won't be the only goth, I know a few who I see in town a fair bit. The moorings seems to attract a more diverse crowd (a lot of the older metalheads go there as well!, plus loads of Aberdeen's metal scene congregates there) but the younger ones I mentioned can usually be found in Bassment/Korova/Moshulu on a Friday night. Plus you're always welcome to come drinking with my mates and I if we go anywhere, I'm a one man freak show so you will probably be normal in comparision :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who judges a band based purely on that is a complete idiot. I dunno who exactly shunned them though, most of the snobby people seem to be the 'metalheads', and they don't normally like post hardcore anyway :p: The ultimate irony is my tastes are FAR heavier than most of these snobby types, but I just like other music as well. If they think singing is emo or something like that they can go crush themselves in their br00tal mosh pitz.

Oh and you can get good deals on travel... the return trip to Edinburgh is costing me a whopping £2.50 with megabus! It's normally more than that but I just seemed to get really lucky, I only booked the bus a month ago.

Yeah there are 2 clubs that have rock/metal nights on Friday, (Warehouse and Korova), Korova has a rock night on Saturday on the middle floor, Exodus has their rock nights on Monday (and a motown/ 60's/70's night on Tuesdays, which is the best night out in Aberdeen, I don't give a **** what anyone says!), and The Tunnels has launched a rock night on Wednesdays now as well I think. Then their is the Moorings and Bassments, bars that are generally more orientated towards the rocky crowd.

So in that respect we are quite well served I suppose! Also a fair number of crappy chart clubs though, just avoid Tiger Tiger, Priory and Liquid and you will be fine :yep:

For any of those bands you will need to go to Glasgow, some of them could probably sell out a show at AECC, but I don't think it will have crossed the booking agents mind to do a gig here :p: Although My Chemical Romance played the AECC a couple of years back and I would never have expected them up here. Another bizarre gig was Enter Shikari playing at the music hall! Or Napalm Death playing at the Lemon Tree in 07!

Well there is a SYHA, in Glasgow, so that will be less than £20 a night, and it's in the West End, so maybe a bit too far to walk but from most venues in Glasgow will be <£10 taxi fare., I'm sure their was one a bit more central so might be worth while having a look if you see a gig you want to go to! Or if you can get friends to travel down with could share a travelodge or something, but will probably cost about the same or a bit more. As for travel down to Glasgow, Trains are about £20 return if you book in advance I think and the megabus is usually about £10 return if you book in advance, If you wait til about a week before you travel, and you travel at peak times, if will be nearer to £10 each way though.

As I mentioned in the above posts, are 4 days of the week that have rock/metal themed nights. From Sunday to Thursday the Moorings (the ace bar where you get 10% discount for dressing as a pirate ) they have a jukebox with a really big selection on it. Plus if you donate a legit CD to them (for licensing reasons they need to own a proper copy) they will stick it on the jukebox. It's 20p a song, so if you wanted you could just stick on anything for ages, but their will be other people in the pub of course, probably also choosing music! I've went in there before and but Nile, Carcass, stuff like that on before... so where else will you find tech death and grindcore on the jukebox? :p:

Bassment is also home to a lot of the alternative crowd too. You most certainly won't be the only goth, I know a few who I see in town a fair bit. The moorings seems to attract a more diverse crowd (a lot of the older metalheads go there as well!, plus loads of Aberdeen's metal scene congregates there) but the younger ones I mentioned can usually be found in Bassment/Korova/Moshulu on a Friday night. Plus you're always welcome to come drinking with my mates and I if we go anywhere, I'm a one man freak show so you will probably be normal in comparision :p:
    I agree that disliking Fightstar because Charlie was in Busted is stupid, I don't like them but that's because when I saw them live they were rubbish. They had one decent song and that was a cover - I normally like that sort of music as well, but Fightstar were really disappointing

Does anyone know about folk/acoustic type venues in Aberdeen? I doubt anyone will because not many people are into that scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I agree that disliking Fightstar because Charlie was in Busted is stupid, I don't like them but that's because when I saw them live they were rubbish. They had one decent song and that was a cover - I normally like that sort of music as well, but Fightstar were really disappointing

Does anyone know about folk/acoustic type venues in Aberdeen? I doubt anyone will because not many people are into that scene.
    I really like their EP and first album... everything after is pretty meh, although damocles is :awesome: for the Mesuggah-lite riff. Will wait and see how they are live though.

The Lemon Tree puts on a wide variety of gigs, acoustic, jazz, folk, blues etc. http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/wha...eid=281&page=1 Hayseed Dixie are playing in a couple of weeks so might go see them for a laugh if I can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it good if you get an acknowledgment? does that mean that you'll get a conditional or unconditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M15123)
    Is it good if you get an acknowledgment? does that mean that you'll get a conditional or unconditional offer?
    It means they have received your application, nothing more, nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    I really like their EP and first album... everything after is pretty meh, although damocles is :awesome: for the Mesuggah-lite riff. Will wait and see how they are live though.

The Lemon Tree puts on a wide variety of gigs, acoustic, jazz, folk, blues etc. http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/wha...eid=281&page=1 Hayseed Dixie are playing in a couple of weeks so might go see them for a laugh if I can afford it.
    Ah thanks Aberdeen's looking likely to be my insurance - it's obviously not going to be as good as Glasgow for gigs but it's nice to know that there is a music scene. Of course, as a student I probably won't actually be able to afford to go to loads of gigs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Ah thanks Aberdeen's looking likely to be my insurance - it's obviously not going to be as good as Glasgow for gigs but it's nice to know that there is a music scene. Of course, as a student I probably won't actually be able to afford to go to loads of gigs!
    Having seen me write all that stuff about the bands that came here how could you doubt their was one :eek3: Loads of indie and mellower bands here too.

In any case, if you come here, I'll force you to listen to metal til you like it and accept the music scene here isn't half bad at all. It's better than Edinburgh! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You most certainly won't be the only goth, I know a few who I see in town a fair bit. The moorings seems to attract a more diverse crowd (a lot of the older metalheads go there as well!, plus loads of Aberdeen's metal scene congregates there) but the younger ones I mentioned can usually be found in Bassment/Korova/Moshulu on a Friday night. Plus you're always welcome to come drinking with my mates and I if we go anywhere, I'm a one man freak show so you will probably be normal in comparision :p:
    Thanks so much this has all been such a great help

ReputationRep:

Well there is a SYHA, in Glasgow, so that will be less than £20 a night, and it's in the West End, so maybe a bit too far to walk but from most venues in Glasgow will be <£10 taxi fare., I'm sure their was one a bit more central so might be worth while having a look if you see a gig you want to go to! :
    For most of the bands i mentioned what is the venue/venues they are most likely to be held at?

ReputationRep:
    unconditional offer from aberdeen for computing yey ive been waiting for this one. FIRM!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    For most of the bands i mentioned what is the venue/venues they are most likely to be held at?
    Not entirely sure? Do you mean the venues they would play in Glasgow? Ummm for the bigger bands like Papa Roach, Marilyn Manson etc, probably the SECC, for slightly less well known bands like Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil... probably the 02 Academy or Barrowlands.

IMO the best venue in Glasgow is the Garage, but it must only be 500-700 capacity or around that mark, It's not very big. Bands I've seen at the Garage are Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour... so reasonably big bands, but not the most commercially popular ones.

If Lacuna Coil/ Within Temptation etc came here (i doubt it though!) would almost certainly be Warehouse/Moshulu. It's about 650 capacity and a reasonably big band shouldn't have too many problems getting it nearly full. For Alexisonfire and Funeral for a Friend, sold out way in advance, and for Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying and the Turisas/Norther gigs it was packed, although not sure if they were total sell outs.

http://www.aberdeen-warehouse.com/listings is the Warehouse atm, although ever since they were taken over I've not been mightily impressed by the gigs on offer, was better when it was owned by Barfly.

The Tunnels and Drummonds are the best for metal gigs, but they don't have proper websites with full listings as far as I knows, so I pick up gigs from a website I use or I know the guy who puts on most of the metal bands and I know members of a some of the bands here who usually end up supporting :p:

Has anyone firmed an unconditional yet? Or has anyone firmed ABDN with any offer? If so, have you heard back about accommodation yet?

For those that are at ABDN Uni already, or live in ABDN are there any competing rowing clubs? If not, I think that's really the only thing I'm going to miss :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Has anyone firmed an unconditional yet? Or has anyone firmed ABDN with any offer? If so, have you heard back about accommodation yet?

For those that are at ABDN Uni already, or live in ABDN are there any competing rowing clubs? If not, I think that's really the only thing I'm going to miss :p:
    You don't apply for accommodation til around May/June so don't worry about that for a long time.

I'm sure the Aberdeen Rowing club competes in regatta's, don't ask me which, but will certainly be inter university events. http://www.aubc.org.uk/index.html was brought up with a quick google search... Although I know most societies websites are horribly out of date/non existent, it's worth googling them anyway!

ReputationRep:
    If you put aberdeen as an insurance can you still apply for accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Yeah Aberdeen uni have a rowing club clicky. There are plenty of competitions, both local and away - there was recently one to Newcastle. They meet up for weekly sessions on the water and erging.

You don't apply for accommodation til around May/June so don't worry about that for a long time.

I'm sure the Aberdeen Rowing club competes in regatta's, don't ask me which, but will certainly be inter university events. http://www.aubc.org.uk/index.html was brought up with a quick google search... Although I know most societies websites are horribly out of date/non existent, it's worth googling them anyway!
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Yeah Aberdeen uni have a rowing club clicky. There are plenty of competitions, both local and away - there was recently one to Newcastle. They meet up for weekly sessions on the water and erging.
    Thanks!

I did come across a couple of websites, but like Keeno mentioned, it looked awfully out of date so I wasn't sure (you should see the Pullinger website) :p:

I'm glad there is one. It's the only real sport I enjoy so I didn't want to have to give it up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.