Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Ooh hoodie talk, yeah still need to get one! Saying that got an e-mail from geogsoc tonight and the hoodies have the slogan "it's not just colouring in" on the back.
    What?! Geography is more than colouring in? When I did modern studies, our teacher told us that geography is just colouring in. This was proved when on the first day of geog we were told we needed to buy colouring pencils :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    What?! Geography is more than colouring in? When I did modern studies, our teacher told us that geography is just colouring in. This was proved when on the first day of geog we were told we needed to buy colouring pencils :p:.
    :p: Geography no but my pencils have been in full use in Geology when it came to shading geological maps and drawing fossils.

(Original post by Keeno89)
    In 3 years of being at uni, I have never bought a single thing with the uni logo on it, or a single society item of clothing. You would almost not know which uni I go to :eek3: Besides I own about 12 band t shirts (then I have other t shirts obv...) and about 6 hoodies so I have no need for them either :p:
    Haha.. I don't know, I have the Oxford hoodies (I'm not sure how/why I got it..) and they're so comfortable.. but considering I'm not going to Oxford, I thought I'd get the ABDN one..

I take it hardly anyone has one? I'm always going through Worcester Uni and everyone seems to be wearing them there.. :cool:

(Original post by moonshine_1991)
    Yep . You're keen! It wouldn't be sad to wear it now; it shows your enthusiasm for the uni.
    I guess that makes sense! I know this is going to sound incredibly cheesy, or cocky (:rolleyes:), but I'm actually overly enthusiastic for ABDN. It's probably because it's one of only a couple Universities I've ever wanted to go to and I've managed (albeit with a little hurdle) to get in.. :cool:

If I'm honest, the main reason for getting one is that they're so warm and comfortable.. if that makes sense. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I havn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone else is in the same position. I received an unconditional for English (: at Aberdeen!
    Anyone else starting there in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShieldsG)
    Hello!

I havn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if anyone else is in the same position. I received an unconditional for English (: at Aberdeen!
    Congratulations!
    I'm going to study English to I only have a conditional offer though

(Original post by ShieldsG)
    Hello!

I have an unconditional for English (and History) too!

See you in September! :woo:

(Original post by fridaystan)
    Congratulations!
    I'm going to study English to I only have a conditional offer though
    I'm sure you'll surpass the requirements!

Hope to see you in September too! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m new to this forum, my dilemma, I really want to go to Aberdeen University, but I have people (mostly family) saying it’s too far for me to go. I live in Birmingham, and with people saying to me I shouldn’t go, I’m really confused. Should I choose another university like 1-2 hours away, or stick with Aberdeen as planned. My sister and very close friend say I should go and not listen to them, but I don’t what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennisfan)
    Hi
    I’m new to this forum, my dilemma, I really want to go to Aberdeen University, but I have people (mostly family) saying it’s too far for me to go. I live in Birmingham, and with people saying to me I shouldn’t go, I’m really confused. Should I choose another university like 1-2 hours away, or stick with Aberdeen as planned. My sister and very close friend say I should go and not listen to them, but I don’t what to do.
    Well I live in Birmingham too.
    Lots of people look shocked when I say it's going to (probably) be my insurance, but you just need to do what you want to do. It's not other people's experience, it's yours. Besides, wherever you go you probably wouldn't be visiting home much anyway, so whether you're seven, four or one hour away won't matter - if you like Aberdeen go there! The transport links are good, so it isn't as far away as it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'm sure you'll surpass the requirements!

Hope to see you in September too! :yep:
    Yeah, pretty easy conditions so I'll probably see you there

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I had a couple of questions I was hoping one of the current students could answer:

First off, concerning accommodation, is there a difference between North Court and South House?
    Is there a huge difference in what kind of social life you will have whether you're at Hillhead or at Crombie-Johnston?
    Finally, I'm going to the applicant day on the 24th of February. I wasn't able to see Hillhead when I was at the last open day, but do you think I'd be able to just go to Hillhead and have a wander around, even though it's not scheduled on the timetable?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrachelxo)
    Hey

I had a couple of questions I was hoping one of the current students could answer:

First off, concerning accommodation, is there a difference between North Court and South House?
    Is there a huge difference in what kind of social life you will have whether you're at Hillhead or at Crombie-Johnston?
    Finally, I'm going to the applicant day on the 24th of February. I wasn't able to see Hillhead when I was at the last open day, but do you think I'd be able to just go to Hillhead and have a wander around, even though it's not scheduled on the timetable?

Thanks!
    No difference at all between NC and SH other than location. I know in South House you get 5 and 7 person flats and you can be put in either, not been in SH though so I don't know if they have 7 person flats as well.

Course you can have a wander up to HH. You might not get to see a room though, suppose you could ask the porters nicely! It's 15 mins walk via seaton park or you can get the number 20 bus from uni

ReputationRep:
    Hi again i was wondering if anyone could help me with a little query i have over accommodation.
    Me and my best friend are going to hopefully be attending the university at the end of this year, we originally wanted to share a room but when i emailed the university they informed me that they have no yet decided whether there will be twin rooms available this year or not.
    I'm not too bothered about anywhere with a really noisy/active nightlife, although it doesn't both me if that is all there is to offer.
    Where would you suggest is the best place for accommodation for someone not too bothered about the nightlife?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    Hi again i was wondering if anyone could help me with a little query i have over accommodation.
    Me and my best friend are going to hopefully be attending the university at the end of this year, we originally wanted to share a room but when i emailed the university they informed me that they have no yet decided whether there will be twin rooms available this year or not.
    I'm not too bothered about anywhere with a really noisy/active nightlife, although it doesn't both me if that is all there is to offer.
    Where would you suggest is the best place for accommodation for someone not too bothered about the nightlife?
    I've honestly never heard of the uni offering twin rooms. I don't even know if their are rooms big enough for that purpose.

If you're set on sharing with your friend, uni accommodation is probably not your best bet. I honestly don't know what the best option would be, UNITE and Ardmuir have probably got almost all of their rooms filled, and they're really expensive anyway. In that case private accommodation might be the best bet, but you will be faced with a summer of property hunting, which I'm not sure you will want. Alternatively *shameless plug* as I said I might have 2 cheap rooms available for next year where I stay, but won't know til the start of April, and it's 35 mins walk from the uni or a 10 minute bus journey. And I can guarantee you it's metal friendly so you can listen to what you want :p:

ReputationRep:
    No difference at all between NC and SH other than location. I know in South House you get 5 and 7 person flats and you can be put in either, not been in SH though so I don't know if they have 7 person flats as well.

Course you can have a wander up to HH. You might not get to see a room though, suppose you could ask the porters nicely! It's 15 mins walk via seaton park or you can get the number 20 bus from uni
    Thanks
    Is the bus stop the one that was on the other side of the road from The Bobbin?
    Also, forgot to ask, while I'm there I want to try and get a feel of the city itself, would the best place to go be somewhere like Union Street? Is that the centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrachelxo)
    Thanks
    Is the bus stop the one that was on the other side of the road from The Bobbin?
    Also, forgot to ask, while I'm there I want to try and get a feel of the city itself, would the best place to go be somewhere like Union Street? Is that the centre?
    Nah, just outside the Crombie Johnston Halls or at the top end of the High Street just past the Blackwells Book shop are the 2 places the 2 stops on it's way to Hillhead. Both on the High Street.

The road where the Bobbin is situated is King Street. The number 20 does stop there, but it's further up and not worth the effort really, just get it from the High Street. And yep Union Street is the centre of town. Can get a number 20 to Littlejohn Street which is only a few mins away, or from outside the Bobbin you can get a number 1 or 2 directly in to town.

ReputationRep:
    I've honestly never heard of the uni offering twin rooms. I don't even know if their are rooms big enough for that purpose.

If you're set on sharing with your friend, uni accommodation is probably not your best bet. I honestly don't know what the best option would be, UNITE and Ardmuir have probably got almost all of their rooms filled, and they're really expensive anyway. In that case private accommodation might be the best bet, but you will be faced with a summer of property hunting, which I'm not sure you will want. Alternatively *shameless plug* as I said I might have 2 cheap rooms available for next year where I stay, but won't know til the start of April, and it's 35 mins walk from the uni or a 10 minute bus journey. And I can guarantee you it's metal friendly so you can listen to what you want :p:
    haha awesome.
    well i didnt think they offered twin rooms either because when i visited they said this wasnt an option, yet when emailing they said it may be a possibility for this year, so i dont know, maybe they have just decided to change things around or something?!
    But going down the road of finding private accommodation any starter websites or any ideas on where to start looking? Im a bit like :|

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what is going on with ab's union?

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional for Anthropology :woo: :woo: :woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.