Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Just out of interest, what is going on with ab's union?
    Essentially, we won't have one next year :p: JP's which is the current failed drinking den where the old littlejohn street union was, is going bust so looks like it will close. It's rubbish anyway.

And butchart is just being turned into AUSA headquarters or something if I remember correctly.

Basically, just go to the Bobbin on King Street, cheap food and cheap booze. Then come 1030pm get a bus into town. Sorted.

(Original post by ColdRage)
    Unconditional for Anthropology :woo: :woo: :woo:
    Congratulations! See you September?

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

FYI: If anyone has to fly out to Aberdeen (like I did last minute yesterday), can I suggest you avoid Flybe. It may be cheap, but quite possibly the worst flight experience ever (shoddy staff tbh).

On a more positive note, I may have sorted out accommodation! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I should have just read and checked... however... Who is going to be at the Uni on the 3rd?!

ReputationRep:
    Since I got rejected from Durham, Aberdeen is definitely my insurance. Before, if I'd got an offer from both Durham and Edinburgh (which had a mathematical probability of 4% I think!) then it might not have been but now it'll be Aberdeen insurance, and either Edinburgh or Glasgow firm depending on what Edinburgh say.

So I'm definitely coming to Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    tis my insurance

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer who applied deadline day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    FYI: If anyone has to fly out to Aberdeen (like I did last minute yesterday), can I suggest you avoid Flybe. It may be cheap, but quite possibly the worst flight experience ever (shoddy staff tbh).

On a more positive note, I may have sorted out accommodation! :woo:
    I use easyjet. It's a pleasant experience! (Hardly BA Business class but for £23 each way I wont complain)

How come you've sorted out accomodation? You're going private?

(Original post by FusedJoe)
    I use easyjet. It's a pleasant experience! (Hardly BA Business class but for £23 each way I wont complain)

How come you've sorted out accomodation? You're going private?
    It turns out my dad knows of a couple of properties in Aberdeen that are idling. I went to visit. It's a nice place (on Burns Road, if anyone is familiar with that area), but it's quite a distance from the University.

So at the moment it's an option open to consider. But I really want to stay in halls. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    just wondered if anyone has firmed on aberdeen for anthropology yet?, i have to choose between abdn and a BSC at kent? what do we think

(Original post by marshallisbetterthanyou)
    just wondered if anyone has firmed on aberdeen for anthropology yet?, i have to choose between abdn and a BSC at kent? what do we think
    Firm Aberdeen? :yep:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the accommodation provided through the university is some of the worst in Scotland, is this true?
    Also where is the best place to live out of all the places provided by the university?

Me and my friend wanted to share but due to it looking like this isnt possible we was thinking of staying in Mealmarket Exchange through unite, rather than somewhere through the uni as theyn we can know for sure that we will be on the same hall and in a room next door to each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withintemptation)
    I've heard that the accommodation provided through the university is some of the worst in Scotland, is this true?
    Also where is the best place to live out of all the places provided by the university?

Me and my friend wanted to share but due to it looking like this isnt possible we was thinking of staying in Mealmarket Exchange through unite, rather than somewhere through the uni as theyn we can know for sure that we will be on the same hall and in a room next door to each other.
    Yes it is some of the worst in Scotland, the older halls at Hillhead are probably the worst I've seen tbh. North Court, South House, New Carnegie Court and Elphinstone Hall (which you can't stay at, postgrads only) are the only ones that are really of the standard you would expect.

Good luck with UNITE or Ardmuir, they're usually almost fully booked by now, but you should be able to get 2 rooms in one flat hopefully. Mealmarket is the best of the UNITE for going into town, at the bottom of King Street, Old Fire Station is best for shopping as it's 2 minutes from Morrisons on King Street, King Street exchange is literally across the road from Meston and only 3-4 mins from King's College so for short walks to uni that's the best :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Yes it is some of the worst in Scotland, the older halls at Hillhead are probably the worst I've seen tbh. North Court, South House, New Carnegie Court and Elphinstone Hall (which you can't stay at, postgrads only) are the only ones that are really of the standard you would expect.

Good luck with UNITE or Ardmuir, they're usually almost fully booked by now, but you should be able to get 2 rooms in one flat hopefully. Mealmarket is the best of the UNITE for going into town, at the bottom of King Street, Old Fire Station is best for shopping as it's 2 minutes from Morrisons on King Street, King Street exchange is literally across the road from Meston and only 3-4 mins from King's College so for short walks to uni that's the best :p:
    I have been looking at UNITE and at the moment there is still good availability. Have you been in either Mealmarket Exchange or Old Fire Station? If so what are they like? Anyone know which is the best of the two?
    I have been looking on the UNITE site for King Street Exchange, but i can't find it, so can i not apply for it, i'm really confused?

ReputationRep:
    UNITE seems nice but a bit pricey, how bad can self catered halls really be? I live with 4 students in a shared house and its not exactly luxury living but its okay.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the Flybe tip WhereIsMyMind. £40 from London is really cheap (as it's £30 by train).

I got my offer on Friday! I have to complete a vocational GCSE in Live Events Management for entry into the second year (so basically an unconditional). But it's way too good to be true so I'm just awaiting an email from them for confirmation. Hopefully it's fine so I'll be seeing you all there! I'm doing English.

xx

ReputationRep:
    I just got my unconditional over the phone (Vocational GCSE no longer needed cos grades are fine) With the option of second year start...does anybody know the advantages and disadvantages of second year start?

SEE YOU ALL THERE!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to put Aberdeen as an insurance what do you about accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshallisbetterthanyou)
    I might do that soon. It is my top choice but my only offer till now. Of course, if St. Andrews will give me an unconditional then maybe I'll start reconsidering.

I think Aberdeen is a much better university than Kent. I could go there since they told me before UCAS start that will give me an offer anyway (I am a mature applicant for a second degree) but i heard some unpleasant rumors about that uni. Not to mention that because of that silly ELQ I would pay there overseas fees. And if matters, Kent uni will never dream at a place in top 150 world

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.