Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Acknowledged w0o0o0o0o0

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I'm sending my application off today for History. Aberdeen seems like a really good insurance choice but what is the city like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyIScool)
    Hello.

I'm sending my application off today for History. Aberdeen seems like a really good insurance choice but what is the city like?

Thanks
    I have never been but from what I have been told it is just like every other Scottish city : Good city center, lively night life and it's fair share of shoddy areas :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyIScool)
    Hello.

Thanks
    It is a good Scottish city. Probably comparable to Edinburgh and Glasgow in terms of night life. I have only been once or twice but friends who are at uni there say it is really good. The music scene is really good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    It is a good Scottish city. Probably comparable to Edinburgh and Glasgow in terms of night life. I have only been once or twice but friends who are at uni there say it is really good. The music scene is really good too.
    :lolwut: nightlife is not a patch on Edinburgh or Glasgow if you are in any way alternative :p: Much more choice in Edin and Glasgow.

The music isn't bad up here. In my tastes anyway a handful of pretty good local bands and get a lot of UK acts touring up here.... but for the slightly more well known International artists it's gonna have to be going to Glasgow for gigs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    :lolwut: nightlife is not a patch on Edinburgh or Glasgow if you are in any way alternative :p: Much more choice in Edin and Glasgow.

The music isn't bad up here. In my tastes anyway a handful of pretty good local bands and get a lot of UK acts touring up here.... but for the slightly more well known International artists it's gonna have to be going to Glasgow for gigs.
    I am just saying that is what I have been told by people that go to the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)

But the AECC had Lionel Ritchie!

We've quite a lot of big names here recently. Sterophonics, Neil Young, Kasabian, Kasier Chiefs, Calvin Harris, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys(they played London, Manchester and Aberdeen which was cool as ****), Frankie Boyle, Willie Nelson, Micheal Macintyre, Billie Conley etc.

(Original post by alexterry)
    I have never been but from what I have been told it is just like every other Scottish city : Good city center, lively night life and it's fair share of shoddy areas :rolleyes:
    There aren't very many bad areas in Aberdeen.

And it's an amazing city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilko1991)
    There aren't very many bad areas in Aberdeen.
    Torry, Tillydrone, Mastrick, Ferryhill, Holburn, Seaton. Need I continue?

I'll agree that it's an awesome city, but there are bad areas.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'bad areas'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)

Torry is fine, just a financially poor area and quite a lot of poles. Mastrick is fine, Seaton is fine and don't really know what Ferryhill or Holburn are like. I agree that Tillydrone is a **** hole.

ReputationRep:
    Seaton is fine?! Ever walked through Seaton Park at night?

I wouldn't walk through any of those areas I listed, at night. I didn't like having to walk through Mastrick in the day.

Agg91 - it's not bad bad, like, Peckham, for example. But there are certain areas that you don't want to live in, or really have to walk through...

ReputationRep:

Bound to be better than Lincoln :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Seaton is fine?! Ever walked through Seaton Park at night?
    Plenty of times, and the only thing I found was a few students and a hell of a lot of darkness. In such circumstances, I'd generally consider mud and puddles to be my greatest danger. I have a theory that the only reason they don't light the bloody place is so that the Principal and everyone else living on the Chanonry don't have to put up with loud first years wandering by at all hours on their way back to Hillhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexterry)
    Bound to be better than Lincoln :awesome:
    So why the Lincolnshire flag next to your rep? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Plenty of times, and the only thing I found was a few students and a hell of a lot of darkness. In such circumstances, I'd generally consider mud and puddles to be my greatest danger. I have a theory that the only reason they don't light the bloody place is so that the Principal and everyone else living on the Chanonry don't have to put up with loud first years wandering by at all hours on their way back to Hillhead.
    To be fair I have friends who have done it several times, drunk, in the wee hours. That said a friend of a friend narrowly escaped rape by a well placed kick, so it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    So why the Lincolnshire flag next to your rep? :cool:
    Because I go to school in Lincolnshire :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    To be fair I have friends who have done it several times, drunk, in the wee hours. That said a friend of a friend narrowly escaped rape by a well placed kick, so it does happen.
    Man-friend or lady-friend, out of curiosity?

I heard about a woman being attacked and managing to struggle free, but there were also a good few stories about bum-rape floating about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I heard about a woman being attacked and managing to struggle free, but there were also a good few stories about bum-rape floating about.
    :nopity: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how quickly Aberdeen reply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Anyone know how quickly Aberdeen reply?
    I'm applying for JH Philo and it took them 3 weeks to send me an acknowledgement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.